DD+ at 1.5 seems to be the gold standard.

nonrev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
NJ
Its becoming more and more apparent that all the Blu-ray audio benefits don't pan out in the real world.

Its becoming more and more apparent that all the Blu-ray audio benefits don't pan out in the real world.
Bad move, nonrev, bad move....:)

You won't have to wait long before the "Give me Lossless or Death!" gang shows up.

Diogen.

No but much better then the 640 crap on most hd dvd's!
DO you by any chance take lessons from Joe?
Except for maybe some obscure catalog titles, HD DVD used 1.5Mbps DD+ on over 80% of releases.
BTW, over 20% had a lossless track as well.

Before you start showing your prowess in math: both soundtracks can coexist on the same disc.

Diogen.

If you are happy with DD+1.5 (and Transformers won a soundtrack award using it) then be happy. You know, there were folks who loved their Edsel too!;)

DO you by any chance take lessons from Joe?
Except for maybe some obscure catalog titles, HD DVD used 1.5Mbps DD+ on over 80% of releases.
BTW, over 20% had a lossless track as well.

Before you start showing your prowess in math: both soundtracks can coexist on the same disc.

Diogen.

No.. No lessons from Joe, you are Vur BS. I HAVE BOTH FORMATS! I KNOW WHICH ONE SOUNDS BETTER TO ME!!:up

If you are happy with DD+1.5 (and Transformers won a soundtrack award using it) then be happy. You know, there were folks who loved their Edsel too!;)
Transformers won best sound of ALL, for the entire year, for both formats.:D

MORE FUD!!:D:up

Also i am messing with Vurbano but at least he has both formats!! All these other guys that say one is better then the other and only have one format make me sick!
You know I doubt you could find a post where I said one was "better" than the other. The VC-1 video is equal. TrueHD gives you an uncompressed PCM equivalent and in many movies DD+ is undistinguishable from the master. HD DVD is the cheaper, more efficient full featured format. Every player meets all specs. BD is an expensive crap shoot on that. Both are capable of giving you the same picture and same sound.

You know I doubt you could find a post where I said one was "better" than the other. The VC-1 video is equal. TrueHD gives you an uncompressed PCM equivalent and in many movies DD+ is undistinguishable from the master. HD DVD is the cheaper, more efficient full featured format. Every player meets all specs. BD is an expensive crap shoot on that. Both are capable of giving you the same picture and same sound.

If you are talking about hardware wise, Its like comparing a Pioneer TV (Blu-ray) vs Vizio TV (HD-DVD).
More ***** from you vurbano, **** you got a PS3 and it has a good Blu-ray player, a video game system, and you think thats expensive? You are full of it.

Last edited:
Now I'm sorry I started this thread, I never intended for friendships to be jeopardized.

Now I'm sorry I started this thread, I never intended for friendships to be jeopardized.

Don't be sorry, its not your fault, just blame it on vurbano! J/k, but seriusly, no hardship here, we are all here to prove a point.

It probably depends on whos real world you're in. In my real world, my own ears are getting lossier with age (ugh!) I've got a decent enough 5.1 audio setup, except my .1 part kind of of blew itself up on the cannon shots in Pirates of the Caribbean. Gotta replace that soon.

I usually watch movies after the rest of the family has gone to bed anyway. So I mostly listen through Sony MDR-7506's. Very nice headphones BTW, but not able to do all the newest audio magic surround stuff with only two drivers.

So for me, the higher quality lossy audio standards are just fine.

I will admit that I wish that all HD DVD had 1.5 standard spec. 640 is not quit double CD quality. Given that CD quality is 128 for 2 channels and 5.1 is 6 channels thats 384.

I will admit that I wish that all HD DVD had 1.5 standard spec.
EAC3 (DD+) on HD DVD can be up to 3Mbps and is mandatory.
I've not seen HD DVD movies with 640kbps DD+ soundtrack (1536kbps is the norm).
640 is not quit double CD quality.
CD audio is uncompressed 1411.2kbps: 44100 (sampling frequency) X 2 (stereo) X 16 (bits).

Simple rule of thumb for stereo sound compression: the bitrate can be cut in half for mathematically
loosless compression; and in half one more time for perceptually lossless.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)