Direct TV 5.1 optical out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I was alwas frustrated that with DISH using optical out... NOHTING was 5.1 dolby digital.. only 2 channel PCM 48. Only a couple HBO and SHOWTIME channels were 5.1... that's IT!

Is Direct TV any better?

Not counting the new HD locals because I do not use a H20, there are about 5 or so DD 5.1 channels and yes they are premiums as well; I think there are a few in the PPV area too.

Tx. Dang... Why is the WORLD can't they give us 5.1 sound? I know NBC broadcasts in 5.1.... they say it with text all the time at the beginning of shows.. how more bandwidth can that take? Not much... I understand why HD is limited.. but sound? :(

Sound takes up not very much bandwith and I believe D* gives us the channels which offer 5.1, meaning they don't cut it out if it is offered they just pass it through. Are you referring to HD channels or SD?

SD only! DISH (which i have now.. switching to Direct tomorrow) has ONLY pcm sound for ALL their channels... that's it. NO surround sound. (with the 180 plan and no PPV)

So.. if D* has ANY 5.1 channels with the 185 SD plan I'd be VERY happy.

I am talking about standard 150 channel 'regular' subscription. NO premiums and NO HD.. yet I know that NBC and many other local channels have 5.1 surround but dish only broadcasts them in 2 ch.

directvfreak said:
NBC HD is in 5.1 surround sound. NBC SD is stereo. If you need surround, you Pro Logic decoding on your A/V receiver.

Yup, while not perfect, Dolby Pro Logic II is a good way to get surround out of stereo only channels. I use it most of the time.

I use a THX matrix for stero SD channels and it is close to DD. With HBO Showtime and all the HD including locals are in DD.

OK.. well I am referring to the R15.. (Non-HD unit) which is connected to my 5.1amp via optical cable..

SO.. what am I going to get in 5.1? Any normal channels? Or at least some premium channels like HBO and SHO?

Don't expect any SD channels to offer 5.1 The most you will get will be Dolby Digital 2.0 which is a decent source for pro logic or even SDDS if you have a Sony receiver

Slyster said:
OK.. well I am referring to the R15.. (Non-HD unit) which is connected to my 5.1amp via optical cable.. SO.. what am I going to get in 5.1? Any normal channels? Or at least some premium channels like HBO and SHO?

OK here are specific details for my post back on #2 If I missed anything or need to edit, please PM me or post confirmed facts. This is the best I could do in such a short time. I also did not spell check it.

As of 2005: - best results I could find.

10 pay-per-view movie channels and a special event channel with Dolby Digital scheduled on an ad-hoc basis.

11 premium channels that DIRECTV offers in Dolby Digital are Starz! East, Starz! West, SHOWTIME East, SHOWTIME West, SHOWTIME 2 East, SHOWTIME Showcase, SHOWTIME Extreme, SHOWTIME HDTV, HBO East, HBO West, and HBO HDTV. For each of these channels, DIRECTV delivers a Dolby Digital multichannel audio feed in addition to an MPEG two-channel (stereo) audio feed. HDNet, a sports and entertainment high-definition channel, provides a portion of its programming in Dolby Digital.

Effective 2006 - Digital Television Shows Presented in Dolby Digital 5.1

The following digital television shows are presented in Dolby Digital 5.1. Watch them through your 5.1 home theater system and prepare to be completely immersed in the entertainment experience. Come back to this site—we are updating continuously and new programming is being announced often.

More than likely network DD 5.1 would be limited to OTA and MPEG4.

I could not find a current comprehensive listing of 5.1 for FOX, WB or UPN except to say the majority of all the HD programs and non-HD "widescreen" sporting events should be in DD 5.1

HDNet and HDNet Movies
According to my reading, eerything that comes down the pipe as 5.1 on HDNet and HDNet Movies (95%) is passed along. When not produced with a true 5.1, they will synthesize the stereo feed into a 5.1 feed on thier end.

Discovery HD Theater
DD 5.1 when program produced.

Universal HD - from their own Q&A
Q: Does Universal HD broadcast Dolby 5.1 audio?
A: Programming including Medical Investigation, Battlestar Galactica, Complete Savages, movie trailers, and other special programming is broadcast in Dolby 5.1. In 2006 there are plans to broadcast more series and movies in Dolby 5.1.

TNT HD
DD 5.1 approx 90% of shows (?) via HDBeat

ESPN Networks
Current info says it is NOT 5.1 but a matrixed sound they call (by licence) Circle Sourround; any DTS Neo6 or Pro LogicII works perfect.

ABC
According to Jim
Boston Legal
Desperate Housewives
Freddie
George Lopez
Grey's Anatomy
Hope & Faith
How to Get the Guy
Kyle XY
Lost
One Ocean View
The One
For more information on ABC shows presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, visit ABC / HDTV Web siteABC Web site.

CBS
Close to Home
Cold Case
Criminal Minds
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
CSI: Miami
CSI: NY
Ghost Whisperer
How I Met Your Mother
NCIS
Numb3rs
Still Standing
The Courier
The King of Queens
The New Adventures of Old Christine
The Unit
Two and a Half Men
Without a Trace
For more information on CBS shows presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, visit CBS Web siteCBS Web site.

NBC
30 Rock
Crossing Jordan
E-Ring
ER
Friday Night Lights
Heroes
Kidnapped
Las Vegas
Law and Order
Law and Order: Criminal Intent
Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
Medium
My Name Is Earl
Scrubs
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
The Office
The West Wing
Will & Grace
Windfall
For more information on NBC shows presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, visit NBC Web siteNBC Web site.

HBO
Deadwood
Entourage
The Wire
For more information on HBO movies that will be presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, visit HBO Guide Web siteHBO Web site.

Showtime
Brotherhood
Free for All
Sexual Healing
Weeds
For more information on Showtime movies that will be presented in presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, visit Showtime Web siteShowtime Web site.

Last edited:
Thank you Charper1.. great info there!

I did get SHO and HBO today.. and ALL the SHO channels and at least 3 HBO channels DO feed my Sony 5.1 amp true DD sound.. this is good! I was just hoping that local networks would have 5.1 too.. but I guess not.. but I am upgrading to HD soon (when HR20 comes to town) so that should take care of the locals.

Anyone know when the HR20 comes to Mpls?

So much great info here.. I and no doubt many others appreciate it!

I am liking D* more now that I am getting a feel for it... as an ex E* customer.. i really do think the picture quality is better on most channels as well.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)