Direct TV aiming for Campers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tlm13

Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
North Mississippi
I have Direct TV dish that I use when when camping. I have noticed lots of campers lately laying thier dish on the ground where it points almost straight up amking it far easier to shoot through the trees. Does anyone have instructions on how to mount and aim a Direct Tv dish in this manner.
Thanks in advance
TLM13

Not sure what they are aiming at straight up. The DirecTV satellites are over the equator, so the dish needs to point to the southwest for you in Mississippi. Anyway, most people get a tripod and mount the dish on it. For aiming use http://dishpointer.com.

The dishes are using the same shot. They have just turned them upside down. They use the same azimuth but I imagine must subtract the published setting from 90 to set the elevation.

I want HD and wouldn't even try this with a Slimline.

This is true, but it wouldn't be straight up.

And turning them upside down doesn't make any sense.
I think we need a picture or two of this set up.

This is true, but it wouldn't be straight up.

And turning them upside down doesn't make any sense.
I think we need a picture or two of this set up.

I agree.

Not sure what turning it upside down would accomplish other than making it a conversation piece.

You would have to be at the equator or close to it to have it straight up and down.

I think the reason they're turned upside down is to make them more stable when it's windy and easier to store.

http://http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

It shouldn't make a bit of difference, the reflector STILL has to point the same angle to hit the sats.

I use mine in Texas in the South Padre Island area and it is ALWAYS windy there, 20 mph is normal breeze.

I never have a problem, I use a milk jug filled with water connected to the center post to weight it down.

Thanks for the response. The pictures you attached is one example of what I was talking about and should provide enough info for me to make one. I currently use a tripod and stake it to the ground once tuned so the wind doesn't really present a major concern for me. I was under the that these type units were more succesful shooting through the trees. After I make one and try it out I will let everyone know how it works.

Thanks for the response. The pictures you attached is one example of what I was talking about and should provide enough info for me to make one. I currently use a tripod and stake it to the ground once tuned so the wind doesn't really present a major concern for me. I was under the that these type units were more succesful shooting through the trees. After I make one and try it out I will let everyone know how it works.

As for the tree being easier to shoot thru, it shouldn't make a difference as you have to end up pointing at the same spot regardless.
The only thing this is doing is making it closer to the ground.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)