Direct TV installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keithc

Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
Very unpleasent experience so far. This is the story

Called Direct Tv and we decided to have them setup again. We had existing system in place cause we had DTV previous. When talking to DTV person they said they would replace all the old equipment (Receivers, Satelite) with new. Had an issue with phone in which they said there would be a $75 line installation fee to get the phone lines to receivers. Tech arrives on site doesnt know anything about the possibility of running a phone line, says they don't take back the old equipment and then last but not least says line of site is an issue and can't do the install.

I pointed out that we had DTV previous and that signal strength was OK and that local channel satelite would ,ost likely be a line of site issue (We didnt want local channels through them anyways since we have cable internet access and basic cable comes down that pipe. We had it setup before that we could switch between satelite and basic cable service. Anyways I finaly got the tech to try setting it up and he mounts a diff satelite on roof and finds out i was right as far as good signal. I then ask him to mirror TV's upstairs and he said he could do it for $20 ea receiver at which time I said forget about it and did it myself. Problem now though is he unhooked our basic cable service that was going to diff tv's throughout the house and plugged that line direct into my internet cable modem. I got the satelite hooked up as downstairs TV Receiver A with Upstairs TV A, and downstairs receiver B with upstairs TV B but now no basic cable service thus no local channels. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Oh ya there slobs to, they left old satelite on house so now there's 2 satelites on house and coax cable everywhere and no cable management whatsoever. They told my mother who is 60 yrs old to go up on roof take down old satelite and do the roof repair herself with silicone. What would you do in this situation as a customer? How should we deal with this? Anyone know how i can get cable service back in as well so i can switch between SAT and basic cable?

Hmmm... Was this a SBCA certified installer?

Line of Site scare can come from co.'s that backcharge if you lose line of site in a time frame ( usually 90 days ) some require 5 deg buffer to not have a problem in a year...

Phone lines are an extra charge, alot of hacks don't like running them since they make their money on volume...

Without seeing how he hooked up the line run, and how many receivers do you have...

Diplexers are going to be needed....

anyone else care to input...

Coming Soon! The drive by site survey : ) With more and more installers not getting paid a dime to show just to discover you have no line of sight it will only be a matter of time until they start doing drive by site surveys, its a good idea to get a professional installer with a site survey tool (ask, most don't) to do a complete site survey and evaluation of your property to let you know what satellite services are available to you before you commit to buying any system if you are in any doubt whatsoever. Its a sad day when the customer knows more about line of sight issues than the "installer" If a satellite installer shows up at your home without the below tool (or similar) and tells you you have no line of sight ask for a real installer with a sight survey tool , with these you can pinpoint the satellites in the sky, I will not install unless I have 10deg. clearance all round, and even then its at the customers own risk.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/site_survey.htm

We will not remove an existing dish that would transfer the roof leak responsibility to us. More than likely you will need to run the cable line through a splitter that was/is there and then diplex the signals to the satellite receivers location.

Expect a quick response, and we'll take care of any of your communication and entertainment needs (commercial and residential), including but not limited to:

Home theater
Plasma/LCD flat panel TV installation
Cable or direct TV installation
Satellite dishes
Multi-room music systems
Infrared systems
Additional outlets for cable or satellite
All custom wiring
*Upgrades on any or all of the above*​

Our expert installer specializes in projects that involve careful attention to detail and creative solutions to the exceptional situations. We've demonstrated these skills with custom home entertainment systems in difficult-to-reach locations such as apartments and above fireplaces. You'll be impressed by the quality and craftsmanship that you'll see if you call on us.

What would I do? I would not expect anything more than what the tech is getting paid for.

-Installation of the dish
-proper grounding
-programming on the receiver

I also would expect to pay extra for dish removal, receiver mirroring, and running additional coax lines if lines are already ran and running telephone lines. If you paid $75 for a line installation for phone lines, then you were scammed by DTV, not the tech.

As far as your LOS issue, the tech most likely realized you were trying to free meal freddy him and was trying to find an excuse to get out of the job.

Very unpleasent experience so far. This is the story

Called Direct Tv and we decided to have them setup again. We had existing system in place cause we had DTV previous. When talking to DTV person they said they would replace all the old equipment (Receivers, Satelite) with new. Had an issue with phone in which they said there would be a $75 line installation fee to get the phone lines to receivers. Tech arrives on site doesnt know anything about the possibility of running a phone line, says they don't take back the old equipment and then last but not least says line of site is an issue and can't do the install.

I pointed out that we had DTV previous and that signal strength was OK and that local channel satelite would ,ost likely be a line of site issue (We didnt want local channels through them anyways since we have cable internet access and basic cable comes down that pipe. We had it setup before that we could switch between satelite and basic cable service. Anyways I finaly got the tech to try setting it up and he mounts a diff satelite on roof and finds out i was right as far as good signal. I then ask him to mirror TV's upstairs and he said he could do it for $20 ea receiver at which time I said forget about it and did it myself. Problem now though is he unhooked our basic cable service that was going to diff tv's throughout the house and plugged that line direct into my internet cable modem. I got the satelite hooked up as downstairs TV Receiver A with Upstairs TV A, and downstairs receiver B with upstairs TV B but now no basic cable service thus no local channels. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Oh ya there slobs to, they left old satelite on house so now there's 2 satelites on house and coax cable everywhere and no cable management whatsoever. They told my mother who is 60 yrs old to go up on roof take down old satelite and do the roof repair herself with silicone. What would you do in this situation as a customer? How should we deal with this? Anyone know how i can get cable service back in as well so i can switch between SAT and basic cable?

did you ask him to also cut the lawn and change the oil in your car???!!! OF COURSE we wont take down the old dish cause its a liability to leak and your mother would have to HIRE someone to do this hmmm be a good boy and do htat for your mom!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newbie D* intall

The Shield on FX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)