Directv contract with Fox networks coming up...AGREEMENT REACHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As long as this doesn't affect the Big Ten Network I could care less. If it does, then I blame Directv because they seem to be the ones apparently not willing to give a little, by not continuing to transmit even though NewsCorp says they can. When it gets to baseball season that is going to be a pushing point.

Coincidentally, Directv just gave me 3 free month of the Sports pack so it seems appropriate that a bunch of those channels will disappear.

I won't switch to Dish because they have burned the last bridge with me. Plus the locals they provide are in WV and Directv are from OH. Weird I know.

i left dish because they kept dropping channels

will wait and see what happens
but when you only have a choice between dish and direct
direct seems to have a better history of retaining channels
iirc dish lost alot of channels the last year i was with them

Outside of Sports, does anyone watch FOX anyways ?
TMZ but thats about it. Dont watch any of the other shows on Fox besides sports

FSN...now thats a different story
FX for 2 1/2 men reruns (you know...when the show was actually good)

Know what, I AM going to explain it again.. In crayon this time for people like yourself who need it.

Insulting me isn't productive in the least, but if it makes you feel better about yourself, go right ahead.

Bottom line is the channels ARE going to be pulled either way, which is going to piss off the end user either way. The point that you are WILLFULLY IGNORING is that the party that pulls the plug holds the position of power in the negotiations.

The channels aren't necessarily going to be pulled. According to the D press release that was quoted later in this thread, the contract expired 9/30 and the channels are still here. By your theory, D should have pulled them immediately to increase leverage in negotiations rather than leaving them up this entire month. Has leaving them up given Fox any more leverage? No, but it has kept subs from being aware of the dispute until the impending deadline D set forced both sides to go public with the issue. Again, limiting the impact to subs is to D's benefit. In this scenario, the party that pulls the plug DOES NOT hold the power in the negotiations. This is not some run of the mill contract for widgets that D can pull the plug on and threaten to go to a competitor for alternate widgets. Fox provides unique programming, the results of it being pulled is that D subs lose access to the programming. PERIOD. END OF STATEMENT. The channels going dark are to Fox's advantage, but the typical consumer will blame the provider. You're the one that's WILLFULLY IGNORING this reality. Pulling the channels pre-emptively doesn't give D any positioning power because the result is the same as if Fox had pulled them.

You can bet your ass that it DOES matter. The past several disputes Fox has had, THEY pulled the plug, which put them into the position of power and FORCED the provider to accept unsavory contract terms in order to get them back. In this case, DIRECTV is in the position of power. They have taken away Fox's ability to hold the channels hostage by taking them hostage FIRST.

That's non-sensical. In either scenario, the channels are removed and D's subs are left unhappy. This harms D more than the temporary loss in viewership will hurt Fox's advertising revenue.

Do you really think that Directv won't be doling out discounts for those who lost their programming? That's standard procedure. Hell during the Versus dispute they were handing out free Center Ice subscriptions left and right!

When did I ever say that I don't expect them to have to give out freebies and discounts to compensate people? That is part of the reason why the channels being pulled plays into Fox's hands. D subs notice and complain and D has to either give discounts or watch subs leave.

I don't have to back up my position this time. Your last two posts speak for themselves.

Yes they do. Yours however do not explain the reasoning behind your statement that "D pulling the channels and holding them hostage puts them in a position of power in the negotiations." You assert this and then contrast it to situations where Fox pulled the channels and won. But THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. The channels will still be pulled and D subs will still be upset. The only difference is that D will lose the PR battle because they will be portrayed as the bad guys for pulling the channels during ongoing negotiations.

Oh, you mean like last year's World Series? Fox had NO qualms about using that to buttf**k Cablevision. Hell, they even went so far as to block Cablevision IP addresses from Hulu so people couldn't bypass the TV lockout. See, that's what happens when you let Fox have the position of power. After Nov 1, if there isn't a new contract and Directv doesn't pull them, Fox has total control over the feeds, and can pull them for any reason or no reason whatsoever. Once Fox has pulled them, they own all the power and have absolutely no reason to accept any terms set by Directv.

This is exactly what I mean. However, since the local Fox affiliates aren't in dispute in this case, it doesn't apply (even if there was some delay in the rest of the series that would push the games into November).

Yes it does, and if you would simply pay attention, you would know why.

Oh, I'm paying attention and I'm even willing to change my view on this if warranted. At this point you haven't shown how D's bargaining position is strangthened by actually pulling the channels.

Again, I HAVE backed up my argument. You just are choosing to ignore it. Which makes you what.. Class? That's right, ignorant.

Making an assertion is not the same as backing up your argument.

As for your claim that my "potshots that have zero basis in factual knowledge", and my alleged lack of knowledge of who caved.. True, the details of these deals are kept sealed for this very reason. But there are telling indicators out there if you take 28 seconds to do a search..

Like this little tidbit:

Yes, Cablevision, World Series- big event that people demanded to see- doesn't apply in this case, see above. And since the potshot I was criticizing was directed at Charlie and Dish, this is also irrelevant.

The only channel I really watch is Fox Sports North for baseball, NHL Hockey and College Hockey. However, less pro hockey because in Minnesota, the Wild Announcer and Color Man are horrible in my opinion.

In the end I don't want to see any of them dropped.

As for the folks that don't like sports then don't watch. If you think your bill will plummet with the loss of ESPN and FSN's of the world you are mistake. The other channels will suddenly demand more however, they know there content does rank as high as sports.

yes Matt your post is political and thats why they're deleted. Comparing the two is no where even close and posts like that no good can come from it.

As for the folks that don't like sports then don't watch. If you think your bill will plummet with the loss of ESPN and FSN's of the world you are mistake. The other channels will suddenly demand more however, they know there content does rank as high as sports.

exactly. Look at as example Dish subs in NY. They have NO RSN's after DIsh pulled SNY, MSG & MSG+ (they never had YES) and are their bills lower because they have no RSN's yet someone in say Denver has 2? oh wait...thats a bad example since Charlie is in Denver ;)

OK someone in say Floriday that has Sunshine Network and FS Florida? Nope. They pay the same

Keep believing that, sport. No, I insist, go ahead and stick your head right back into that pile of sand. :rolleyes:

I take offense at you misquoting me. It's fine for you to represent that as your interpretation of my view, but to show "blah blah blah" as something I originally posted is unacceptable. It makes it seem like I'm referring to something you posted as being "blah blah blah."

Again, mocking someone is not a winning argument. You still haven't given any support to your claim of D holding the channels hostage gives them leverage.

DetFan said:
Yep, but because he does not watch any of those, nobody does/should...Oh btw, RSN? not a big deal? All of my local teams play there except the Lions. Really? Not a big deal? Love the close mind, too funny!!

I KNOW your Smart A$$ coment is at me ....
Once again, where did I say anything. About RSN's not being important ?

I think you need to READ the post before you start complaining about MY post.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

DodgerKing said:
FNC is the most popular news channel by a long shot (often more viewers than all other combined in some time slots) and one of the most viewed channels on paid TV.

Local FOX has some popular shows outside of sports.

My wife likes NatGeo

Local Fox is not effected according to the stuff I found ... I find it hard to believe, ut that's what it said.

espaeth said:
Not to single you out, but since others have mentioned it I think it's important to reset here:

Source: DIRECTV ? Our Promise To You | FAQ

Local FOX stations (ie, shows like House, Fringe, Glee, etc) won't be affected, nor will FOX News.

Thank you, I posted the same thing above, but certain people don't read the whole thing and jump to conclusions.

yes Matt your post is political and thats why they're deleted. Comparing the two is no where even close and posts like that no good can come from it.

Meh, whatever. I think it's a perfectly valid comparison, and in neither post did I actually refer to anyone or any company as that. All I did was compare the situations and the ramifications of 'giving in', which are identical.

I take offense at you misquoting me. It's fine for you to represent that as your interpretation of my view, but to show "blah blah blah" as something I originally posted is unacceptable. It makes it seem like I'm referring to something you posted as being "blah blah blah."

Again, mocking someone is not a winning argument. You still haven't given any support to your claim of D holding the channels hostage gives them leverage.

Yes I have. Three times now. You're intentionally ignoring it for the sake of starting an argument, which is why I am mocking you. I really don't care what you take offense at, because you've willfully ignored what I had to say, and you falsely claim that I have not backed up my claims, which to me is even more offensive. So I'm done with you. You are free to marinate in your ignorance.

dang I said the same thing yesterday
also lets keep on topic and quit with the petty bickering. Looks like most folks know how to have a conversation without resorting to childish "I've been here longer than you...nah uh....my sister is fatter than yours"

Hopefully some folks will actually listen

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
I watch FX so if it goes off I'll be very upset I'm really digging American Horror Story and love Justified!!!

I never watched those particular shows, but last year I was the one guy in America who watched terriers. That sucked having to watch it a week delayed on Hulu during the Dish dispute, but at least there are alternatives.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts