Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mike White has learned from the best: Also airing on the service is a video of DirecTV CEO Mike White, who says that he has been in negotiations with Viacom for several months about "how much of your bill is fair to pay for their networks. Unfortunately, Viacom has decided to take their channels away from our customers. It is a temporary and regrettable tactic to try to force you to pay substantially more for all their networks. Even the ones you don't watch or care about."

Hey, that's Charlie Ergan's script!

Ol' Mike keeps following in Charlies footprints. I'm glad to see DirecTV finally doing something of significance about the huge cost of programming that are passed on to us, the consumer. But all those who had slammed Ergan for the same tactics and viewed DirecTV as a service who would never "drop channels" on the scale at Dish because they felt DirecTV was more "stable" have to eat their words a bit now as DirecTV as about 17 channels are no longer available on DirecTV due to contract negations. Not even Charlie comes close to this scale of channels drops. DirecTV has set the bar very high for the next channel drops at other MVPD. Thanks Mike for actually have the guts to take a stand on the programming costs.

But all those who had slammed Ergan for the same tactics and viewed DirecTV as a service who would never "drop channels" on the scale at Dish because they felt DirecTV was more "stable" have to eat their words a bit now

Not at all. DIRECTV did not drop the channels. Viacom pulled them.

If Viacom did not pull them then they would still be on DIRECTV today.

I'm surprised conspiracy theorists haven't started pointing fingers at Charlie yet.

Nah Charlie already had his go around with Viacom himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out in support of DIRECTV.

Absolutely. For over a decade, Charlie has been trying to get satellite, and later all MVPD's to work together in their industry to address the programming costs issue, but to no real avail. I would say EVERY MVPD is in support, although they can't really say it.

My complaint on Dish wasn't that they had disputes, it's how they handled them in the past (before I switched). When they lost FX a couple of years ago, and just put the feed of HDNet in there while still calling the channel FX and showing FX on the guide like nothing happened, that was the last straw for me. I can handle disputes, but I won't put up with a tactic like that.

That said, it appears that Dish is doing better in that respect, as evidenced by their giving away free Roku's when they lost AMC.

hey Viacom... um if you want to mock someone dont pop up over their video, thats cheap and stupid... you lose credibility... and they want a few cents a day... I dont watch a few cents worth of viacom channels a day... can I get refunded directly from viacom? A few cents times 20 million people is more than a few cents.

im sorry but some of the info viacom puts out... they are already lying about directv dropping the channels, so why would we believe them when they say its only a few cents a day per sub.

im sorry but some of the info viacom puts out... they are already lying about directv dropping the channels, so why would we believe them when they say its only a few cents a day per sub.

Lets see... if we do Viacom Math, its 2 cents per channel, which they claim there are 26 channels, so 26 x .02 is .52 cents a month time 20,000,000 customers, thats $10,400,000 a month increase. So over a year thats a $124,800,000 increase. (and thats on top of what they were already paying.)

Yup thats just pennies. :)

Lets see... if we do Viacom Math, its 2 cents per channel, which they claim there are 26 channels, so 26 x .02 is .52 cents a month time 20,000,000 customers, thats $10,400,000 a month increase. So over a year thats a $124,800,000 increase. (and thats on top of what they were already paying.)

exactly, just too lazy to do math

viacoms say a few penies a day
so its 10mill a day , would be over 3 bill a year

but direct claims over a bill a year, reverse enginering that 1bill/20mill is $50 a year per sub
or 1.92 per year per channel, even futher thats @ .5 cents per day per channel

Does this mean we wake up to automatic credits on our Directv accounts?

i doubt that you are serious but D* could decide to give you a credit butt hewy are not required to do so.

Honestly, I could care less if Viacom channels ever come back to Direct TV. It always urked me to know that part of my bill went to some of those stations anyway. My kids are a little upset, but it will pass, and if they wind up watching a little less TV as a result, well I have no problem with that either. Hey Viacom . . . don't let the door hit you on the way. See yah!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)