Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As far as I'm concerned Viacom can disappear completely. SpikeTV was about the only thing I'd watch sometimes, Trucks.

I actually think we should be able to do a la carte on all channels.

As far as I'm concerned Viacom can disappear completely. SpikeTV was about the only thing I'd watch sometimes, Trucks.

I actually think we should be able to do a la carte on all channels.

Same here the only Channel I watched was Spike mostly :)

Nothing new in this article about Viacom, but I found this piece interesting:

"DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. comes up for renewal in the fall, according to another person familiar with the matter."

What are the cable channels that are owned by CBS Corp? I would assume CBS Sports Network, but what else?

Viacom Criticizes DirecTV in Black-Out Talks - WSJ.com

its also syndicated on local channels and wgn america. i think it might be more censored, not 100% sure though

Unfortunately none of my local stations in Greenville, SC carrying South Park since WMYA 40 dropped it in September 2010. Greenville, SC (large-market) still lame about this. But I've got WGN America on DirecTV :)

But WAGT 26.2 (CW+) in Augusta, GA carries South Park over the air since it don't carried on DirecTV in the Augusta, GA DMA (small-market) .

Nothing new in this article about Viacom, but I found this piece interesting:

"DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. comes up for renewal in the fall, according to another person familiar with the matter."

What are the cable channels that are owned by CBS Corp? I would assume CBS Sports Network, but what else?

Viacom Criticizes DirecTV in Black-Out Talks - WSJ.com

Sadly that article is subscription only :(

We don't want another dire warning! I wish the Retransmission Consent Curse is broken.

But CBS Corp owns WCBS, KCBS, WBBM, KYW, KPIX, WBZ, KTVT, WWJ (the only CBS O&O don't do local news), WCCO, WFOR, KDKA, KCNC, and KOVR (aka the CBS O&O station that refused to air now-defunct GUIDING LIGHT), plus CW stations like KBCW, KMAX, KSTW, WPCW, WTOG, and WUPA, Indie stations like KCAL, WLNY, and KTXA, MNT stations WSBK, and WBFS, plus Tr3s station WBXI.

Sadly that article is subscription only :(

We don't want another dire warning! I wish the Retransmission Consent Curse is broken.

I sub to the WSJ, I found this very interesting:

In a statement posted on its website Wednesday afternoon, Viacom said it had made several compromise proposals over the past few days that could have ended the dispute. "Unfortunately DirecTV has moved backwards significantly and created more obstacles to reaching an agreement," Viacom said.

It sounds like DIRECTV keeps lowering their offer as time goes by and the cancellations are not happening at the feared rate... Perhaps soon Viacom will be paying DIRECTV to carry their channels!

That could complicate DirecTV's standoff with Viacom if it faces the possibility of losing another channel. A spokesman for DirecTV said "We don't publicly disclose when our programming contracts expire but, when it is time to start speaking to CBS, the discussions will be completely separate from Viacom."

DIRECTV will probably reach a quick deal with CBS, because CBS's ratings blow away Viacoms...

I feel your pain. Though I do not watch any Viacom programming, I have a habit every fall and mid season to really like programs that no one else does. So twice a year, with tears in my eyes I have to say goodbye to what I think are some really good shows. Knowing I will never again see a new show. What a sense of loss and I mourn for weeks really missing those shows. This year was bad. I lost about 8 shows. I am glad that when this is settled you all will again be happy. Though Viacom does not affect me I do feel what some of you are going through. Hope this thing will get settled soon for you all.

I feel your pain. Though I do not watch any Viacom programming, I have a habit every fall and mid season to really like programs that no one else does. So twice a year, with tears in my eyes I have to say goodbye to what I think are some really good shows. Knowing I will never again see a new show. What a sense of loss and I mourn for weeks really missing those shows. This year was bad. I lost about 8 shows. I am glad that when this is settled you all will again be happy. Though Viacom does not affect me I do feel what some of you are going through. Hope this thing will get settled soon for you all.

Thank You ageism :) I feel the same for everyone here that has Directv :)

mike123abc said:
I sub to the WSJ, I found this very interesting:

It sounds like DIRECTV keeps lowering their offer as time goes by and the cancellations are not happening at the feared rate... Perhaps soon Viacom will be paying DIRECTV to carry their channels!

Wouldn't that be something to cheer about :)

Everyone knows the facts and is starting to side with Directv more and more and the longer Viacom hold out the more it makes Viacom look Bad and Directv Good :)

Last edited:
Honestly I have no objection about Epix. I think Directv should offer it!

DIRECTV would probably be happy to offer Epix at the right price in the right package. Viacom is probably asking for a much broader reaching package than DIRECTV wants to put it in, and of course for more $$ than DIRECTV wants to pay.

Latest on DirecTV's FB page

It is important to all of us here at DIRECTV to keep all of you in the loop. As the business day was coming to a close here on the east coast, we continued to speak with Viacom several times but have yet to finalize an agreement. We will stay on it, continue our discussions through the night and keep you posted. As always, we thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)