Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They are meeting next week. Want to see how they can stop, us, the consumers, from getting caught in these battles! :) http://?commerce.senate.gov/public/...ou?p_id=b06c39af-e033-4cba-92?21-de668ca1978a. Hearings

The Cable Act at 20
Democratic Press Office - (202) 224-8374
Jul 24 2012 2:30 PM

Russell Senate Office Building - 253

WASHINGTON, D.C.— The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation will hold a hearing next week on “The Cable Act at 20.” This hearing is a follow-up to the Commerce Committee hearing on April 24, 2012, which examined the future of online video. The Committee will consider the impact of the Cable Television and Consumer Protection Act of 1992 on the television marketplace and consumers twenty years after its passage.

“Two decades ago, we passed the Cable Act to empower consumers and provide them with expanded choices at lower rates,” said Chairman John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV. “Our hearing in April demonstrated just how much has changed in the past twenty years. But our goals for protecting consumers have not. We can’t look to the future of video without evaluating the Cable Act’s impact on the modern television marketplace and whether the legislation has achieved Congress’ goals. In particular, I want to take a close look at how we make sure that consumers do not continue to get caught in the crossfire in programming disputes, facing dark screens and losing access to news, sports, and other entertainment programming.”

Looks like Congress is getting involved next week don't know if that is good or bad with D.C :D :)

If Congress is getting involved, it's bad.

Maybe they can force providers and staions to keep stations up while they negotaiate. they are going to look at the cable act at 20 again and keep us from being in the middle of it but I seem to leaning to what you said.When government gets involved withanything it gets worse :)

DirecTVPromise.com has issued an update on the current Viacom situation, noting that the statement made earlier by Viacom was done for "dramatic effect." Below is an excerpt from the new DirecTV statement, and you can read more by clicking on the link. DIRECTV Viacom Dispute - Viacom Wants YOU to Pay 30% MORE!

You may have heard that Viacom is trying to upset customers with some very loud rhetoric about negotiations breaking down. Their statement, intended for dramatic effect, is completely false. Please know that we are indeed continuing to negotiate with Viacom so they can return the channels to our customers as soon as possible. Just last night, Viacom made a proposal for the return of the 17 channels they dropped from DIRECTV. Earlier this morning, we accepted all material terms for those channels including an increase that was more than fair. We are ready to sign that deal immediately.

whitewolf8214 said:
Maybe they can force providers and staions to keep stations up while they negotaiate. they are going to look at the cable act at 20 again and keep us from being in the middle of it but I seem to leaning to what you said.When government gets involved withanything it gets worse :)

If Congressmen (who own the media outlets and are the ones financially raping cable and satellite companies) get involved, then it may be time to officially say goodbye to watching television!

Viacom’s networks, including MTV, BET and Comedy Central, have lost an estimated 2 million viewers in just the first week of the fee dispute with the nation’s largest satellite-TV provider.
Kiddie cash cow Nickelodeon was already reeling from a troubling 20-percent ratings decline — possibly due to competition from Netflix — before the fight broke out with DirecTV.

Now, it looks like the denizens of Bikini Bottom are collateral damage. Nick’s total viewers in primetime dropped 38.5 percent to 1.2 million in just the first week of the blackout, according to Nielsen .
“To me the headline difference at Nickelodeon is going to look huge,” said analyst Todd Juenger of Bernstein Research.
Beyond Nickelodeon, other Viacom channels took a major hit. BET fell 23 percent in total viewers, Spike fell 28.9 percent and VH1 Classic was down 54.1 percent. Comedy Central fell just 1.1 percent, while MTV managed a 4.2 percent uptick.

nightmare? Seems a little over dramatic

nightmare would be something like my ex-girlfriend showing up at my house or getting a phone call from the Maury Show that someone says I am the daddy :eek:

nightmare? Seems a little over dramatic

nightmare would be something like my ex-girlfriend showing up at my house or getting a phone call from the Maury Show that someone says I am the daddy :eek:

Well it looks like it could be a ratings nightmare for Viacom... I bet the execs are having sleepless nights... Every time they doze off they see their bonuses being assaulted by the giant DIRECTV monster. I hope other programming providers are having nightmares now too...

I wonder what the alternate spin is? Like how much higher the DTV ratings are for the Disney channels, Cartoon Network, etc.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts