Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While I am happy that Direct and Viacom came to a meeting of the minds and got the channels back that some people liked, I am also saddened that Epix wasn't included as either an a la carte` option or brought into the HD Extra Pack.

I actually like they brought the channels back without Epix, since that isnt what Viacom wanted. I think it's more to prove a point, and I bet Directv adds it later to the xtra pack. It could also be that Viacom wanted in more than the xtra pack, and I do not agree with that at all.

Jason Whiddon said:
Im just pissed I only got back 17 channels and not 26. I feel like I was screwed...

I completely agree! I think I'll call Viacom and tell them I didn't receive all 26 channels and see what they say ;)

No they are not paying for it. But they have the option to at a set price if they choose to add the channel.

The question of course is if there are package restrictions in the deal that DIRECTV does not like. The option is not really any good if they want it in a package that DIRECTV does not want to offer it in. At least it looks like Viacom gave in and DIRECTV does not have to offer Epix.

I called it at 11:00PM last night in this thread. Not that it was that hard, Viacom was heading for a catastrophe. I'm betting they caved big time on this whimpered away.

The question now is will Viacom try doing this again to any provider or did they learn their lesson?

The way they should have done it, is while negoations were still going on they should have kept the channels on DIRECTV. Then after a longer set period (30 days, 60 days) then pull the channels and put out a release saying something like this...

"Dear Viacom Watcher, we know you love our channels and we thank you for watching! Unfortunately our contract with (provider name here) expired 60 days ago, we have been trying to negotiate with them in good faith over the past 60 days however there has not been any positive progress in these negotiations so we have had to pull our channels off of (provider name) this was not something we wanted to do but we were left with no choice. We believe we should be paid fairly for our channels and we know times are tough for many so we have been trying our best and will continue trying our best to negoatate a fair deal for both of us. Thank you for your understanding as we work with (provider name) to bring your favorite Viacom channels back to their lineup."

I would have ZERO problem if it was done that way.

And in the court of public opinion, it would make Viacom look like the good guys and DirecTV look like the bad guys.

Is there a list of what channels changed packages because of this? From what I can tell, MTV2, VH1, and Spike are no longer available on Choice and Nick Toons now is. That's just from me comparing Directv's Site to the list on the sticky on this forum so I could be off or completely wrong

The question now is will Viacom try doing this again to any provider or did they learn their lesson?

The way they should have done it, is while negoations were still going on they should have kept the channels on DIRECTV. Then after a longer set period (30 days, 60 days) then pull the channels and put out a release saying something like this...

"Dear Viacom Watcher, we know you love our channels and we thank you for watching! Unfortunately our contract with (provider name here) expired 60 days ago, we have been trying to negotiate with them in good faith over the past 60 days however there has not been any positive progress in these negotiations so we have had to pull our channels off of (provider name) this was not something we wanted to do but we were left with no choice. We believe we should be paid fairly for our channels and we know times are tough for many so we have been trying our best and will continue trying our best to negoatate a fair deal for both of us. Thank you for your understanding as we work with (provider name) to bring your favorite Viacom channels back to their lineup."

I would have ZERO problem if it was done that way.

I believe Viacommies will try it again with other providers until 1 of those provides cave in unlike Directv didnot cave in :) Viacom is greedy and they will continue doing it to every company

Ahh yes, that makes sense. I misread the original statement at first as they had already paid for it as part of the new agreement and could add it at any time.
Nah if that were the case, then the channel would already be turned on. DIRECTV would not pay for a channel and then not carry it. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)