DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Each channel yes, satellite no. Only a few that they put the satellite number there (and they usually don't stay that way)

i think we will see more by the end of the month. D imho will remain the leader.

And keep in mind that the 130 is BY August 14th, not necessarily ON August 14th. So in the next two weeks, we might see 10-15 new nationals light up each week. :)

That said, to claim they have 114 now and 150 soon, their counting methods are getting way out of hand. I wonder if their olympics coverage will count as a few HD channels, perhaps NHL CI, it is starting again soon, NBA maybe. Want to take that approach, 150 is cake.

DirecTV could add 29 HD channels to their count with MLB EI alone.

I'm not saying either company count their sport pckages in the channel count, but how E* can claim 114 now is beyond my understanding.

I agree that the counting method is out of hand. I don't think counting MLB HD would be fair, because it is basically the RSN HD piped into another channel, as is NHL Center ICE HD. So you are really counting the same channels twice.

When they state national HD channels, for comparison purposes, I don't think they should count PPV or any type of on demand. Simply give us a count of live broadcast channels and then give us a seperate total for PPV or on demand.

Last edited:
I notice some are still butchering the 130 number. D*'s website currently says "130 by mid August", NOT 130 by years end. Ive seen comments by some here, even staff once Dish made their 150 propaganda.

D*-130 by mid August
E*-150 by EOY

I got a response to my clarification question, wanting to be sure they intend to have 130 HD by Aug 14:

Essentially, after the RSN error, I tried to read too much into the press release :)

That should be solid indication that there will be a handful of national channels beyond what was indicated in the press release.

95 now, add 12 RSNs, 2 nationals, and a few PPVs (we'll say 6) = 115

Still upwards of 15 or so channels that are not named yet.

i think we might be gettina up to 4 new hd ppv channels. that's my impression from the test channels that are being reported! that would leave 10 new channels still to be named!

I hope they add MOJO HD so I can watch shows like Three Sheets and I Bet You.

I didn't think ESPN Looks that much different. A little bit maybe.
ESPN was getting a relatively large amount of MPEG2 bandwidth, so the difference may not be that stunning. HBOE, SHOE HD Net and HD Net Movies should be substantially improved if all of the hubbub is to be believed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Installation Question

RV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts