DIRECTV TV Anywhere is coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I unplugged my GenieGo and enabled the internal MobileDVR function. I have been using it for a few hours and I'm impressed. The quality is very nice on my 9.7 iPad Pro. I rarely ever used the external GenieGo due to the fact that most of the time it didn't work.

I did noticed something interesting. I can monitor my real time bandwidth usage at my house while streaming to work and a lot of the channels I have tried do NOT stream directly from my house. Some do but some don't.

Anyway, very promising start for this integrated function.

Some observations in my case.

If I reboot my HR44 I have to run the kw search again for the iOS app to see the mobile dvr feature again. Luckily its in the recent searches list so I don't have to type it all out.

• If the channel was already available for DirecTV streaming, it will stream from DirecTV's cloud - not your receiver.
  • If streaming from the receiver, its very noticeable because the resolution is not as good as from the cloud.
  • If there is a rain fade event and you have 771 signal loss, the mobile app will say there is a streaming error 3100 and will not give you any other information besides streaming is temporally unavailable.
  • If you try to stream Sonic Tap it will also say error 3100 video streaming is temporally unavailable.
  • In the Mobile DVR diagnostics menu in the iOS app, it actually shows in GB how much space is available on the Genie. For a stock 1TB genie 700GB of space is available to the user.
  • If you initiate Double Play on the Genie, it will kick you out of mobile streaming. Mobile streaming app will say that there are other streams in use. I have not found a way to exit Double Play on the Genie besides waiting 2 hours for it to "time out". I'm sure a reboot would clear it but there is no other obvious way. So far in my experience activating double play - even by accident will lock you out of streaming for 2 hours.

I unplugged my GenieGo and enabled the internal MobileDVR function. I have been using it for a few hours and I'm impressed. The quality is very nice on my 9.7 iPad Pro. I rarely ever used the external GenieGo due to the fact that most of the time it didn't work.

I did noticed something interesting. I can monitor my real time bandwidth usage at my house while streaming to work and a lot of the channels I have tried do NOT stream directly from my house. Some do but some don't.

Anyway, very promising start for this integrated function.
How do you enable the internal mobiledvr function? Thanks

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Is this different from the IPAD App that's available in the store? If so do you have to worry about rain/snow fade with it? Thanks.

I've streamed Deadliest catch from the DVR hard drive to outside the home. Worked fine, I just wish there was a 30 sec skip.

Is this different from the IPAD App that's available in the store? If so do you have to worry about rain/snow fade with it? Thanks.

Yes.....Your uploading the signal from your home and sending it over the internet.....It will image what ever is happening on your tv at home.....If rain fade knocks out picture your streaming will just due the same.

How will we know if we have this function?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
Im sure it will be announced....I do remember reading it would slowly be implemented....

Its still in beta testing from the comments left here....You should read all the P'ed off people at dish because they have so many problems, and some have taken over a year still with no resolution to there problems....

Yes.....Your uploading the signal from your home and sending it over the internet.....It will image what ever is happening on your tv at home.....If rain fade knocks out picture your streaming will just due the same.

It depends, if the channel is one that DIRECTV streams then it comes from their servers, if not then the GenieGo function will stream from your home.

It depends, if the channel is one that DIRECTV streams then it comes from their servers, if not then the GenieGo function will stream from your home.

Yes....But that service has been up and running for a very very long time....The thread is about Direct Anywhere....Which is streaming from your home to a mobile device...

The GenieGo is not been sold for months and the new Direct Anywhere is replacing it....

Yes....But that service has been up and running for a very very long time....The thread is about Direct Anywhere....Which is streaming from your home to a mobile device...

The GenieGo is not been sold for months and the new Direct Anywhere is replacing it....
Yes, and it still works the way I described, doesn't matter if you have an external GenieGo or the internal software version. As I said, you only stream from your home if the channel you want to view isn't already being steamed by DIRECTV, you can power off your home STB's and that still works. It's only if the channel doesn't have a streaming version then the GenieGo part comes into play.

Yes, and it still works the way I described, doesn't matter if you have an external GenieGo or the internal software version. As I said, you only stream from your home if the channel you want to view isn't already being steamed by DIRECTV, you can power off your home STB's and that still works. It's only if the channel doesn't have a streaming version then the GenieGo part comes into play.
Please read the thread from the start....yes your correct but adding confusion.....its about the replacement of GenieGo with new software on the HR 44 and 54...which is now called Direct Anywhere....with the crappy ass app. we have been able to stream for years now.....People are asking about RSN and were confused on alot of it.

Please read the thread from the start....yes your correct but adding confusion.....its about the replacement of GenieGo with new software on the HR 44 and 54...which is now called Direct Anywhere....with the crappy ass app. we have been able to stream for years now.....People are asking about RSN and were confused on alot of it.
I have I have read the thread before and have posted before. The crappy ass app you talk about is out and has been out for awhile now that works with both the external and internal GenieGo.

As for the RSN question, can you stream your local RSN, I know I can. Can you stream your RSN when traveling, don't know didn't try that, but I was able to stream my local channels while out of town.

The DIRECTV Anywhere is really a combination of the two, the prior streaming service and the new streaming for 'live' channels via the GenieGo, which channel you want to view depends on how you get it delivered.

I give the F up,....your right.....make it even more confusing for all the ones asking question!

This summer DIRECTV will be rolling out its TV Anywhere (GenieGO) using a built in server that is built into many of its newer receivers. Here is information that SatelliteGuys has receiver about this exciting new rollout from DIRECTV!

So here we go with the information that was sent to us. Note this will be a slow rollout... so we have no idea when you will get it. So please don't ask. :D

---

One of our key focuses this year is to meet our customers’ desire to take their DIRECTV service with them wherever they go, and you may have seen some of our videos and other communications talking about the features available through the DIRECTV mobile app. In the near future, we’ll take an evolutionary leap forward by turning customers’ mobile devices into another Genie client: Using the DIRECTV app on their smartphones and tablets, they’ll be able to remotely watch whatever they’d be able to watch on their TV at home, including their DVR content!

Earlier this year, we halted sales of GenieGO in preparation for a next-generation solution, and that service will soon be launched to customers. This great new capability will be available at no extra charge and will unite and enhance several key TV Everywhere features. Without any additional hardware, the DIRECTV app will enable customers’ mobile devices to act just like another Genie client, allowing subscribers to:
  • Live-stream all channels from their programming package anywhere
  • Stream or download HD or SD recorded content from their programming package from their Genie HD-DVR to take with them
  • Watch DIRECTV content as soon as they order service (previously known as “Walk Out Watching”)
  • Stream thousands of shows and movies on-demand for free
Please note that this capability will be initially launched as a field trial via software download, and there will be outreach to customers about it.

What do customers need?
  1. A broadband-connected HR44 (or H44+HDD) or higher — but no other DIRECTV hardware.These great features will be made available via a software download and will be powered by the Genie server, not any external equipment. No more port-forwarding!
  2. A compatible mobile device with the DIRECTV mobile app installed. Supported devices include iPads (iPad 2 or newer), iPhones (iPhone 4 or newer) and Android mobile phones and tablets.
  3. A directv.com login and password. This can be easily set up as soon as someone signs up for DIRECTV service!
Mobile DVR incorporates the best features of GenieGO technology, including transcoding capability and enhanced networking technology, in the Advanced Genie DVR. When used together with the DIRECTV App, our customers can use their mobile devices like a wireless client to experience their content in and out of the home. And, the Advanced Genie DVR is simpler to install!

Advanced Genie DVRs include:
  • HR44
  • H44 with external hard drive
  • HR54
Mobile DVR offers all of GenieGO’s favorite features including:
  • In-Home streaming
  • Out-of-Home streaming
  • Auto Prepare – allows customers to download programming to their mobile device without waiting for transcoding
  • Use the DIRECTV app to watch content recorded on the Advanced Genie DVR and manage all of their favorite entertainment choices
  • Simplified registration of customer mobile devices
Additional Information:
  • There can only be one Mobile DVR/GenieGO stream (either DVR streaming or live streaming) in progress at any given time.
  • GenieGO streaming cannot happen while picture-in-picture or DoublePlay is active.
  • 3D, PPV and On Demand content is not streamable via the Mobile DVR/GenieGO — but may be available via other features on the app. If the titles are not Streamable, the Watch on Table/Phone button will be disabled from the program details screen.
  • Some channels and programming are not available for streaming due to specific contractual agreements with content providers. Titles that are not streamable will not populate within the Live TV guide or Live TV Streaming carousel.
  • Due to contractual obligation, downloaded Disney content is restricted to one download to one client per account for 60 days. This applies to all Disney channels.
The DIRECTV App replaces the stand-alone GenieGO App, which is no longer supported. Customers who have – and choose to keep – the external GenieGO can now use the DIRECTV app to manage this device as well.

The DIRECTV Mobile App works with:

• iOS — version 9.0 or higher
  • Android — version 4.0 or higher
Once a device is activated, the DIRECTV Mobile App provides all previous external GenieGO device functionality — plus Auto Prepare — without the external GenieGO device.

And there you have it. Thanks for being SatelliteGuys Members and for making SatelliteGuys your DIRECTV Information Home. :)

Coming this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2016!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)