Dirt -- Jonesboro, AR DMA HD locals question

Bluegrassboy, Well dang it, sounds like you had two people that weren't any help and not up to date on things.:(
Unless Dish made changes since last weekend, a dish pointed at 61.5 will get you KAIT and AETN in HD and the CBS, NBC and FOX Memphis stations in SD (16X9 letterboxed all around).
I didn't leave my dish pointed at the Eastern arc because I couldn't get a real good signal on 61.5 and 72 at the same time. (picture was fine, worried about rain fade) I'm waiting for Dish and ESPN to get an agreement before I either buy an Eastern arc setup or call dish to furnish one.
If the tech would've done anything would you have had to sign a two year agreement?

Thanks for the info. I think it's cheaper for me to buy the dish/LNB then pay for a service call. At least it didn't cost you anything, today. I wonder how Dish customers would even know about Jonesboro in HD if it wasn't for satguys?
Thought maybe there would be something about it in the bill this month, there wasn't.

One does have to wonder what the end game is here, if only KAIT and KTEJ are going to be HD. While I know there are a few fringe areas of the DMA that can't get the Jonesboro stations OTA, in the grand scheme of things that has to a pretty small number. I used to live in Fulton Co., about 8 miles NW of Cherokee Village, and even though it was in the analog days we could easily get a clear signal on KAIT with just rabbit ears, even before they moved to their current higher location. I know digital takes a stronger signal, but based on my experience up there I am sure OTA would still work today with an outside antenna.

I would expect though that some areas around Hardy and Cherokee Village can't get anything OTA because there are some low spots with hills to their southeast that would block the signal. I still haven't been able to find out if Izard and Fulton counties are currently in the Jonesboro DMA.

My point (yes, I really have one :rolleyes:) is that I keep hearing how bandwidth is so limited on the satellites, so using it to carry just these two stations in HD without having the other networks in HD just doesn't make sense from a cost/benefit standpoint. I just can't see that very many people (from a sales perspective) would see having only the Jonesboro stations in HD without having the other networks as being a real selling point. Quite honestly, if I had known before hand that I would not be getting the networks in HD, I would have seriously considered going with DirectTV even though it would have been more expensive, and once my two years are up in a few months I might have to revisit that idea. Having just ABC and AETN in HD on Dish wouldn't effect my decision at all, since I have that anyway with just an antenna.

Lifsaver,
At least some of Fulton Co. is in the Springfield, MO, DMA. Just have to check by zip code.
Limited bandwidth is what makes the handling of the Jonesboro DMA on eastern arc so strange.
There's no need to put SD Memphis channels on 61.5 and the HD are already there and seem to cover the Jonesboro DMA fine.
Maybe the end game is they want everyone to "move"? Problem with Direct is I'm not interested in Paducah, KY "locals".

Skip, I hadn't thought about the fact they were using up bandwidth by duplicating the SD locals on 61.5, instead of just "turning on" the HD feed for us. That means this all makes even less sense in terms of bandwidth cost vs benefit to subscribers.

Checked some zip codes, and see that Salem and Mammoth Spring are in Springfield DMA, but all the Izard Co. towns I checked show up as Jonesboro. That does add some to the fringe areas.

As far as which locals I get, it doesn't really matter that much, except maybe during major news events. I don't watch sports (wish I could get rid of ESPN et. al. and save a few bucks, but that is a different discussion) and normally only watch the network stations during prime time.

From looking back over this thread, it does seem that there are no technical or legal reasons now that we could not get the network locals in HD here. So, what other factors could be holding things back? Would Dish have to pay the Memphis stations more money to provide their HD feed out of market instead of the SD feed? Are they afraid aliens want to piggyback on their signals to coordinate a worldwide attack on Earth? Any other ideas?

Blugrass, Seeing the last 22 seconds of the Chiefs game isn't good enough for you?! :) Are you sure they don't carry the Titans? Maybe the Colts?
Lifesaver, Even more bandwidth saving, how many versions of AETN does Dish have up? Are there five or six repeaters around the state. I've lost track. Now back to fun speculation.
Maybe too many old receivers in use? It would cost too much to replace them all if people actually did move to the eastern arc?
Maybe Dish is just doing enough to satisfy a law? Maybe we're the only 3 or 4 people that haven't "moved" and Dish is reading this thread and laughing at us?

You are right about the AETN thing. In fact, I saw somewhere that AETN's channel 2 in Little Rock is a statewide station, so as you said there is no need for more than one feed of AETN.

As far as old receivers, couldn't they leave all the folks with old SD-only receivers on WA, and only put those with newer HD receivers on EA? Since they didn't have any locals for us on the EA before this recent change, shouldn't really matter, unless they have a policy that SDs have to be anywhere there is an HD.

Blugrassboy, I didn't know Paducah also wasn't a full station DMA. I never checked.
LIfesaver, With what happened with Bluegrass, seems they don't want anyone to move to EA, with or without HD receivers.
Just checked, except for a couple of minor stations, Little Rock doesn't have SD on EA. So that doesn't seem to be a requirement.
I was just speculating on what other possible reasons that they don't turn on the HD for us. Never know, your alien reason may turn out to be right!

Talk about interesting timing. Got a call today from Dish. Not a sales call, but a rep who just wanted to know how things were going and if I had any comments about my Dish service. Well, I sure did!

First, I want to say that the young (sounding at least) woman who called was very nice and friendly, and also much more knowledgeable than I would have expected.

Of course, I took the opportunity to mention how I would very much like to have the networks in HD. I talked about how I had seen that the Jonesboro stations are available in HD now but that the out-of-market network stations are not. She said that there have been a lot of requests for this in this area, and that the holdup right now is in the contracts with the Memphis stations. She said also that she would add me to the list of those making the request and pass it along to corporate.

So, it sounds like the only hurdle now is getting the money right. I wonder how much they will decide we are worth?

At least we know that something is happening.

Maybe there's a glimmer of hope.
When I first got HD, in general not local, I called and asked why they didn't turn on the Memphis channels in HD here.
I was told that they were in negotiations, that was a couple of years ago.
Of course later I found out some law prevented them for turning on the HD here.

No doubt this kind of thing can drag on for much longer than it should. I am sure that the Memphis stations don't really have much incentive (other than payments from Dish) to allow the HD upgrade since very little of their local programming or advertisement is of any use to most of us in this DMA. I know I haven't been shopping in Memphis in close to 30 years.

The Dish rep to whom I spoke did seem to confirm that the legal issue is now resolved since KAIT and KTEJ are on the sat in HD, and we know from our discussion here that there don't seem to be any technical or bandwidth problems with our getting the HD feed, so maybe now it will get done.

Last edited:
I guess everyone on this thread saw the announcement that Jonesboro DMA will officially be a Hi-Def market on November 21.

So, the big question will be, is it just going to be KAIT and KTEJ, or will they flip the switch so that the HD feeds from Memphis will also be available in this market?

Another question. If they DO add our Market Flag to the HD feed of the Memphis channels, can they do that only on the Eastern Arc, so that a customer must switch to EA and be getting KAIT and KETJ in HD in order to get the others in HD, or will it also enable the HD feed that is on the Western Arc? Since I don't need KAIT and KTEJ from the satellite, that would save me having to mess with changing my dish.

Seems that in watching the uplink reports, when a feed that is on both arcs gets a change, it happens on both arcs. That doesn't mean they don't have the technical ability to only do it on one arc and not the other.

(These are rhetorical questions of course. I don't really expect an official answer here, just speculating again. It's a slow day.)