Dirt -- Jonesboro, AR DMA HD locals question

so they still havent turned them on yet?

They turned on Zanesville, OH today and uplinked them I think 2 weeks ago. Its one station (NBC) but the other 3 are from COlumbus and in HD. So it looks like Dish CAN import HD stations for the missing affiliates.

Bluegrassboy75,
Maybe now Dish CSR's and tech would set you up with Eastern Arc for free?
If you just want to see what's there without getting the proper EA LNB.
I've had my western Arc dish and LNB turned towards the eastern arc for a couple of weeks. My dish is mounted where it's simple for me to get to. Here's what I did. Put a tv where I could see/hear it, hit menu 6-1-1 on the dish remote. set for transponder 18 sat 61.5
I had to loosen the bottom two bolts on the dish so I could remove two skew bolts, then rotated the skew to about 68. Put the bolts back in. Cover the two outside LNB with tinfoil. Rotated the dish east, (about 85 degrees) pointed the middle LNB to sat 61.5. ( I found azimuth info at http://www.dishpointer.com/)(elevation is within a degree or 2 of the WA setup, I got signal on both sats without changing it.)
61.5 is sort of a pain because it may take a minute for the signal to show on the meter. got a signal. removed tin foil did a check switch (takes a while ). Only finds two sats not three. hit OK. Tweak for for best signal. Since WA LNB isn't made for EA I did a balance with 72 a bit higher signal then 61.5. If you've got signal on 72 and 61.5 then the channels are there. KAIT and AETN in HD. You don't have to call Dish.
IF Dish gives us networks in HD I'll get the proper EA setup. Until then I think this setup is ok while I decide if there are better tv options here.

Last edited:
Bluegrassboy75,
I'd believe DIRT.
There's two choices, either keep your WA setup and add a wing dish pointed to 61.5 to get KAIT and AETN in HD or get an EA setup.
I don't know if you have the choice or if it's up to the installer.
The Memphis SD channels are on 61.5 transponder 18 spotbeam 63 too, you won't lose them. I'm getting them, they are in 16X9 SD, black bars all around.
I don't find KAIT or AETN in SD on EA, but then again not needed with them in HD. Also 217 ION west isn't on EA.

If you are just on Eastern Arc (which requires ALL HD receivers) if the local is in HD there is no SD counterpart. On all packages you get the locals in HD so there is no need for a SD station

If you go with the "mixed arc" which is WA (110/119/129) and a wing dish for 61.5 you will have KAIT & AETN in both SD & HD. HD will come from 61.5 but the others will come from either 61.5 or 110/129. That is the issue with a mixed arc when there are duplicate stations. The receiver doesnt pick just one. It will switch between them. Also it will show all stations twice in the guide. As example
8 KAIT HD (from 61.5)
8 KAIT SD (from 129)
3 Memphis CBS from 61.5
3 Memphis CBS from 110

The advantage of EA locals is its MPEG4 which takes up less space on the hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts