Dish adds Smithsonian Channel as part of CBS Agreement

Oh the whole article wasn't about dish. It was just Hd in general. Apperantly the human eye only sees so many things, and it shutters a bunch of times per second, to build a completed picture in our head, based on what we assume it to be. It was neat some of the tests it asks you to do on your own. I saw similar things in the show Brain Games, but this was more in depth. If I get done with my college work, I'll take the time through the forum and see if I can find it to repost. It was grossly off topic then what was being discussed, but a neat tidbit for the question just a few posts up. It sort of tied in with Scott's comment in a round about way.

Oh, I'm not questioning that the brain interpolates a lot of missing data, that's the only way we could get away with analog NTSC for all those years with its poor chroma resolution due to bandwidth limitations. (That, and phosphor latency.) I'm just saying that nobody should be using it as an excuse to down-res or bit-starve channels, because some of them ARE noticeably poor quality on a typical modern screen, even if you're not a video snob.

I think I see a blend of two things above when talking about the human eye can see. keeping it brief;
1. HD is a definite and easily seen better picture at reasonable screen sizes and sitting distances over SD.
2. 1080I is the technology where 1/2 of the information is seen at a time to reduce the amount of bandwidth needed. It is so quick and done in such a way it fools the brain into seeing the whole picture. 720P and 1080P (What Blueray is) send it all at once and it does produce a better picture in fact many in the business would say 720P is a better picture than 1080I.
3. To see differences in resolutions you need a big enough screen and need to be sitting close enough. To see a difference of 4K over 1080P HD on a 65" screen you need to sit no farther than 4Ft. 90" screen size would be no farther than 6 feet. You can see why 4K probably isn't an improvement to the human eye in real life conditions.

Most people watching a small screen HD TV probably are not close enough to see HD, changing the setting to 480 you wouldn't even see the difference. Even for larger size screens many sit too far away to actually see HD.

Reactions: foghorn2
FWIW, Dish never carried Smithsonian Channel in SD. You had to have HD option to watch it and it was in the premium tier. Dish replaced it with Crime and Investigations Channel, supposedly not enough "new" content on Smith.

Reactions: TheKrell
No I believe the 7 day no auto hop is for all CBS network programming. Not just CBS o&o channels.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
When Disney/ABC got the 3-day extension on Autohop, people asked if it was O&O only or all ABC programming and the feedback was that it CAN'T apply to non-O&O for contractual reasons.

Now, along these same lines, will the companies that own a bunch of tv stations (Lin, Cox, etc) have the power to impose these type of Autohop delays ? Obviously if they are negotiating for CBS channels they won't need to!

People will fast forward through commercials anyways so CBS has no real argument for Auto Hop. Commercials will still not be watched. It's more of a convenience thing that it auto skips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said it not me.

The auto hop feature is pretty much worthless at this point as most people usually watch a new episode after the DVR has finished recording it, or at the very most a few days.

I doubt anyone will wait 7 days to be able to use auto hop, unless they just haven't caught up watching their recordings on their dvr yet

No, you're wrong. I'm already waiting to see the red kangaroo on ABC recordings, no dig deal to wait on CBS.

No, you're wrong. I'm already waiting to see the red kangaroo on ABC recordings, no dig deal to wait on CBS.
In our house, we watch most of our programming a day or two later. So, with ABC, I simply skip forward about 6 times and I'm pretty much there. I did the same thing on my 722. It will not be a hassle, in the least, to do the same thing with CBS. I am not going to let 'hop or not' dictate when I watch a program. Yeah, auto hop is nice to have but it's not so critical that I'm going to get heartburn over it...

Reactions: ChadT41
Autohop = put the remote down while watch
No Autohop = keep the remote in your hand (you remember, just like we used to do all the time ?)

Reactions: Elkview
Autohop = put the remote down while watch
No Autohop = keep the remote in your hand (you remember, just like we used to do all the time ?)
Lol like I said. We are spoiled rotten. It's like someone took our pacifier away.

I forget where, but someone was saying that the Hopper is no better than the Genie once auto hop is disabled. I have to disagree. Primetime anytime is a nice feature. Have all the locals using only one tuner. I tried explaining that to my wife. But she's the type who wants to believe that her hamburger fell from the sky, instead of knowing how the cow became the burger.

Charlie could really screw up the networks by changing the 30 second skip button to a 60 second skip. How about it? Three clicks and done.

Yes. So lets keep in mind authop isn't being disabled, it's being delayed 7 days. If CBS wants us to wait 8 days to use autohop, for any programs that really don't matter if it's 8 days later wait, use autohop and have those ratings lost to CBS since it will be after the 7 day rating period.

Reactions: ChadT41
Yes. So lets keep in mind authop isn't being disabled, it's being delayed 7 days. If CBS wants us to wait 8 days to use autohop, for any programs that really don't matter if it's 8 days later wait, use autohop and have those ratings lost to CBS since it will be after the 7 day rating period.
Who is going to wait 7+ days to watch a show only so they can let the receiver skip the commercials for them? That would be one, really, really lazy person !

Reactions: GaryPen
Primetime tends to stick around 2:30 based on my normal button clicks. We may watch different programming during primetime though, so that could vary greatly I would say.

It peeves me that Charlie is caving in to people like Moonves who at the least should be sanctioned for filing frivolous lawsuits, and ideally should be taken in for a mental health evaluation. They should NOT be allowed to keep making false statements with impunity!
You know why he caved, Time Warner had a CBS black out last year and in one month Time Warner lost 300k+ customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)