Dish adds Smithsonian Channel as part of CBS Agreement

You're 100% right. What makes me laugh is that the Hooper is set to delete PTAT recordings 8 days after they air. Therefore, in my opinion, auto hop is dead when it comes to CBS, and there's another reason for me to have disdain for Les.
You can do a series record on any PTAT program and it will place that program in your space and hold it until you delete it. Auto hop is not dead, just delayed....

You can do a series record on any PTAT program and it will place that program in your space and hold it until you delete it. Auto hop is not dead, just delayed....
I think that most people will watch primetime-type programming reasonably soon after it is broadcast, so they get it from the PTAT folder and don't even know about the "Save" or "Save Series" option. Let me emphasize again, most people...

I think that most people will watch primetime-type programming reasonably soon after it is broadcast, so they get it from the PTAT folder and don't even know about the "Save" or "Save Series" option. Let me emphasize again, most people...
Oh, I completely agree. I was simply commenting to The Fat Man that auto hop is not dead, you just have to know how to work the system.... :)

Reactions: Santinelli
You said it not me.

The auto hop feature is pretty much worthless at this point as most people usually watch a new episode after the DVR has finished recording it, or at the very most a few days.

I doubt anyone will wait 7 days to be able to use auto hop, unless they just haven't caught up watching their recordings on their dvr yet

We actually keep a season to watch in the summer of some shows, so the whole 7 day thing isn't that big of a deal. Too much on TV we like and just don't have time. We also go to bed around 9:30 so we miss the 10pm shows, which, we are usually a week behind on, again, this works out ok.

I think it is a great feature (AutoHop) but, honestly, I'm pretty good with the fast forward button. :)

Here is the article about 4K TV's.
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/
And a follow up article.
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

From the second article:
Try this. Go to the beach (or a big sandbox, or a baseball diamond). Sit down. Start counting how many grains of sand you can see next to you. Now do the same with the grains of sand by your feet. Try again with the sand far beyond your feet (like, say, 10 feet away). The fact that you can see individual grains near you, but not farther away is exactly what we're talking about here. The eye is analog. Randomly analog at that. So of course some people are going to see more detail than others, and at different distances, but 20/20 is what everyone knows, and it is by far the most logical place to start any discussion.

Is there some wiggle room thanks to variances in how people see? Yes, of course. Here's an awesome chart:

Carlton Bale
Let's skip ahead a step. Getting bogged down in the specifics misses the big picture. The eye does have a finite resolution, and if you want to argue it's better than 20/20, you're still conceding the point. You're just saying that smaller 4K TVs are viable. How much smaller? Well, not 50 inches. Probably not 60 inches, either. These are the sizes people are buying. Most people are buying even smaller TVs. Which leads to...

3. 84-inch TVs are never going to be mainstream
Never. Ever. Never ever. Like I said earlier, I have a 102-inch screen. I've also reviewed an 80-inch Sharp LCD. And let me tell you, it dominates the room. It's massive. There is a significant difference between a screen (effectively, the wall), and a Device of Unusual Size. Enthusiasts might be OK with this thing in their room, but most people won't. Ask your spouse. Ask your spouse's friends. Screen sizes have been inching upward, but not linearly with price. More specifically, the prices of big-big screens have fallen much faster than their sales have increased. I don't know what the upper limit is for what the average consumer decides is "too big" for their room, but I'm positive there is an upper limit, and this limit is far smaller than screens that need 4K.
Maybe get something from 2014 instead of 2012..4k TVs are much better now

There is a big thread at AVS about 4k and the above, I'm in the if it looks better to me then I'll buy it camp no matter what some say... ;)

I just hooked my new 4K TV last week an I've been very impressed with it. I went with the LG 65UB9500 and cost me less than $2000. I of course got a great discount because I got it at cost and with the Black Friday pricing. Otherwise it was selling for $2499 over Black Friday. I don't know about the rest of you but that's still a pretty awesome deal for this loaded TV. I remember when I bought my basic 50" 720p plasma about 8 years ago. That retailed for $2499 and it had zero features.

I had only mentioned that the article existed and was a neat read with some cool facts. Obviously 4K has a crisper picture then HD. That was not the point I was making. The point I was saying is that there are studies about how we perceive things such as television. Just something to keep in the back of the mind. I wouldn't mind owning a 4K TV but I will not go out and buy one just because o have to have a UHD. I will wait till one of mine craps out, then take it into consideration. I have had my Vizio since 2008, so I can't imagine it has to many more years life on it. It's 1080 picture looks just fine currently though. As for all the apps, I could careless about that crap. I know it's useful for some, but I am a traditional TV viewer. Maybe one day, I'll think about getting Netflix, but I don't have the time to watch my dvr as is.... So maybe not.

I just hooked my new 4K TV last week an I've been very impressed with it. I went with the LG 65UB9500 and cost me less than $2000. I of course got a great discount because I got it at cost and with the Black Friday pricing. Otherwise it was selling for $2499 over Black Friday. I don't know about the rest of you but that's still a pretty awesome deal for this loaded TV. I remember when I bought my basic 50" 720p plasma about 8 years ago. That retailed for $2499 and it had zero features.
Not even a remote? ;)

Reactions: ChadT41
You want 4K? Half the Dish channels aren't even in HD yet. Come on . .

4 minutes of commercials is 8 clicks of the Skip Ahead button on the Remote Control. No wonder I am getting arthritis of the thumb!
Unless Dish changes it to 60 seconds or 90 seconds a skip, people could sue Dish for muscle damage.

Reactions: lazydogmot
Except the content is not owned or controlled by dish, so that lawsuit wouldn't even make it to the courtroom.

Ahhh, the folks who justify their purchases based on defending how much they paid for technology. :rolleyes:

AVS Forum has plenty of people who just plain out love their tech. Price has nothing to do with it. I post there often, and I sure as hell try to pay as little as possible for my stuff!

I was at a high-end A/V store last week to look at a 4K tv in an environment that's better than Best Buy's. I was totally blown away with how good 4K looks. Even 1080p content upscaled to 4K looked better than it did on a high-end 1080p tv. They allowed me to fiddle around with the settings, so the set's weren't rigged to make one look better than the other. I'm thinking that by next Christmas prices will be low enough to allow me to upgrade our main set.

AVS Forum has plenty of people who just plain out love their tech. Price has nothing to do with it. I post there often, and I sure as hell try to pay as little as possible for my stuff!

I was at a high-end A/V store last week to look at a 4K tv in an environment that's better than Best Buy's. I was totally blown away with how good 4K looks. Even 1080p content upscaled to 4K looked better than it did on a high-end 1080p tv. They allowed me to fiddle around with the settings, so the set's weren't rigged to make one look better than the other. I'm thinking that by next Christmas prices will be low enough to allow me to upgrade our main set.
But then you need to get all those movies... again. 4k is better but to upgrade everything again for the finite increase of quality... it just seems bonkers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)