Dish adds Smithsonian Channel as part of CBS Agreement

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
For me, it's outside of ptat I have to do more than my normal 5 clicks. Especially if it is a documentary or repeat show.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Who is going to wait 7+ days to watch a show only so they can let the receiver skip the commercials for them? That would be one, really, really lazy person !

The poster above that post of mine said he could, and not by design but I often don't get to watch some shows such as Elementary or Blue Bloods for a week or so. I am betting there are more people than you might think that for one reason or another are close to a week before watching. In fact, CBS pushed for the 7 day ratings period because enough people wait that long to finally watch.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
In regards to waiting 7 days, I agree, there is no doubt people who do that for their own reasons (their schedule). I meant people who wait that long ONLY to have Autohop work.

Reactions: Tampa8

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
In regards to waiting 7 days, I agree, there is no doubt people who do that for their own reasons (their schedule). I meant people who wait that long ONLY to have Autohop work.
You're 100% right. What makes me laugh is that the Hooper is set to delete PTAT recordings 8 days after they air. Therefore, in my opinion, auto hop is dead when it comes to CBS, and there's another reason for me to have disdain for Les.

Reactions: TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I wonder if Dish could get around the contract language by making the skip button on a hopper automate the 4 or 8 button presses, i.e. the ManualHop?

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I dint think Dish we'll push the issue. As had been noted, Ergen said a long time ago that he would always use Autohop as a bargaining chip.

bigjohnok

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 27, 2014
BFE Flyover State
I dint think Dish we'll push the issue. As had been noted, Ergen said a long time ago that he would always use Autohop as a bargaining chip.
With more and more outfits offering their own streaming service by passing middle man companies, that Autohop spade card is moving from being a face spade card to being a numbered spade card.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Oh no, the exact opposite. Have you watched regular programming (Not Premium HBO type) online? You can't skip the commercials. All I wanted to do was to see the last two minutes of Shark Tank (I erased by mistake) online at ABC, I had to watch every commercial on the way to get to the end. That is what everyone is crowing about watching online?? Sure it's free because you have to watch every stinkin commercial.....

And now CBS online charges you for the privilege of watching commercials.

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
There are 20 minutes of commercials every hour. The networks usually make theirs 4 minute groups. The cable channels sometimes make the front end commercial in 2.5 minute groups and then load up the near the end commercials with 6 minute groups. Give me a 60 second skip and I will gladly miss 30 seconds of programming when scheduled that way, since very little ever happens in 30 seconds anyway. Sometimes I hit the skip button too many times, but never back up to see what I missed. Who gives a S**t.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
PTAT is not going away, it's just the Autohop feature that may be delayed or even gone someday. I don't see it as a big deal because it may be a week before I finally watch an episode. For example, I still haven't watched last week's Gotham but I plan to tonight or tomorrow night. If I can't use Autohop, oh well, I can still skip the commercials just the same as always. As long as I get to watch my show and have the ability to skip commercials somehow I don't care.

Reactions: satjay and Tampa8

Voyager6

*Cancelled*
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Wokeville
Again, my post was in reference to a post in another thread about 4K. I'm sure somebody that has extra time, and not on their cellphone(conviently inconvenient), they may be able to locate the YouTube post and article on why 4k shouldn't matter. It was quite intriguing. Whether or not I agree or disagree did not matter. It was still interesting.
Here is the article about 4K TV's.
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/
And a follow up article.
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

From the second article:
Try this. Go to the beach (or a big sandbox, or a baseball diamond). Sit down. Start counting how many grains of sand you can see next to you. Now do the same with the grains of sand by your feet. Try again with the sand far beyond your feet (like, say, 10 feet away). The fact that you can see individual grains near you, but not farther away is exactly what we're talking about here. The eye is analog. Randomly analog at that. So of course some people are going to see more detail than others, and at different distances, but 20/20 is what everyone knows, and it is by far the most logical place to start any discussion.

Is there some wiggle room thanks to variances in how people see? Yes, of course. Here's an awesome chart:

Carlton Bale
Let's skip ahead a step. Getting bogged down in the specifics misses the big picture. The eye does have a finite resolution, and if you want to argue it's better than 20/20, you're still conceding the point. You're just saying that smaller 4K TVs are viable. How much smaller? Well, not 50 inches. Probably not 60 inches, either. These are the sizes people are buying. Most people are buying even smaller TVs. Which leads to...

3. 84-inch TVs are never going to be mainstream
Never. Ever. Never ever. Like I said earlier, I have a 102-inch screen. I've also reviewed an 80-inch Sharp LCD. And let me tell you, it dominates the room. It's massive. There is a significant difference between a screen (effectively, the wall), and a Device of Unusual Size. Enthusiasts might be OK with this thing in their room, but most people won't. Ask your spouse. Ask your spouse's friends. Screen sizes have been inching upward, but not linearly with price. More specifically, the prices of big-big screens have fallen much faster than their sales have increased. I don't know what the upper limit is for what the average consumer decides is "too big" for their room, but I'm positive there is an upper limit, and this limit is far smaller than screens that need 4K.

Reactions: bhawley and Hall

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Dish may to change the name of the hopper to the skipper lol

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts