Dish Locals Shutdown and DirectTV

I'm Getting ripped off , Because you said so? Are you for real? What do you have D*?. Yea so do I, and had them for the past 5 years. and Trust me I get A LOT less with what I pay for D* then what I pay for E*. Thats fact.
Apparently you are completely unable to understand my post 13. So we are just not able to communicate.

Apparently you are completely unable to understand my post 13. So we are just not able to communicate.
What do you want me to understand, That E* makes 44% profit? I don't care if they 100% profit as long as I pay a price I'm happy with for the programming I want. Local OTA , I could really Give a sh*t. Why should any satellite company care about OTA? And how they could make it more easy for you.

What do you want me to understand, That E* makes 44% profit? I don't care if they 100% profit as long as I pay a price I'm happy with for the programming I want. Local OTA , I could really Give a sh*t. Why should any satellite company care about OTA? And how they could make it more easy for you.
NO.

I want you to understand that Dish is making 44%, while independents are barely making it. They are taking steps to try and survive, while Dish refuses to absorb the paltry addon with their 44% and threatens to pass it on to you, throwing you into a frenzy.

While you give lip service, you can't actually understand that competition is the lynchpin of Free Enterprise nor recognize when it is at issue, and that you are helping to kill it right now!

I am not going to bicker, as you have made an emotional decision rather than a rational one. There's no sense discussing something with one who has made an emotional decision. Never try to teach a pig to sing... it only wastes my time, and annoys the pig.

NO.

I want you to understand that Dish is making 44%, while independents are barely making it. They are taking steps to try and survive, while Dish refuses to absorb the paltry addon with their 44% and threatens to pass it on to you, throwing you into a frenzy.

While you give lip service, you can't actually understand that competition is the lynchpin of Free Enterprise nor recognize when it is at issue, and that you are helping to kill it right now!

I am not going to bicker, as you have made an emotional decision rather than a rational one. There's no sense discussing something with one who has made an emotional decision. Never try to teach a pig to sing... it only wastes my time, and annoys the pig.
So you want everyone to drop E* is that the Bottom line of your BS Story? Lets just Get that out of the way now because No way in Hell am I going back to D* fulltime. Because I feel Like their equipment and lack of premiums for the money is a RIP OFF.

So you want everyone to drop E* is that the Bottom line of your BS Story? Lets just Get that out of the way now because No way in Hell am I going back to D* fulltime. Because I feel Like their equipment and lack of premiums for the money is a RIP OFF.
Stupid Straw Man Argument. You take an extreme, and pound and pound at it as if it is reality. I guess this is a technique you have fallen for over, and over, to the point where you've internalized it and try to use it on others.

NO.

I do not want everyone to drop Dish. I have said over and over that it would be a Bad Thing if Dish went away.

What am I saying? I hate to repeat myself, so please go back and try and understand my above posts.

I don't think ppl are understanding that Dish has disabled EIT program guide info in their OTA tuner. If this were enabled you'd get program guide without spending $6 or whatever it is for locals.

Why did they disable EIT if locals are not a significant profit center? Their own financials show their profit margin is 44%!!

AFAIC disabling EIT makes Dish more complicit in ripping us off.

If you want the guide data get an over the air box with free guide data. Dish does not use the guide data provided by PSIP. Dish buys guide data from Tribune.

Dish does not make a 44% profit in 2007: The Wall Street Journal Online - WSJ.com Log In

Sales of 11,090,375,000, net income of 756,054,000 or 6.8% profit. 2008 is shaping up to be worse with income in Dish and losses in echostar (same majority ownership) probably will be around 500 million income or less than 5% PROFIT.

Dish will sell you a DVR that will record OTA using the free guide data, why not buy one of those then you will not have to pay a penny for all your locals to Dish? But, do not expect them to give you free service on their subscription boxes.

Dish does not use the guide data provided by PSIP. Dish buys guide data from Tribune.
Doesn't matter. Complete guide data is always transmitted over ATSC, free for the taking. If they just turned on EIT it would fold into their program guide just like any other.

But they don't. They charge you.

Dish does not make a 44% profit in 2007:
DISH: Competitors for DISH Network Corporation - Yahoo! Finance

Dish will sell you a DVR that will record OTA using the free guide data, why not buy one of those then you will not have to pay a penny for all your locals to Dish? But, do not expect them to give you free service on their subscription boxes.
Because I have a much better HVR-1250, to record OTA in MythTV.

OTA has better picture quality than Dish, but alot of ppl can't go this route because they're out of range. I am just trying to explain to you that Dish is trying to crush competition with their strength, and that not only you are being charged for something which can be had for free, you are begging to pay more when ATSC can't sustain.

Watch out for this Quantum guy. He brought up "diversity" in one of his prior posts and now sounds like a evangelist trying to save the world (at least E* subs) from themselves. Read his post below - HE knows it but us dumb asses don't.

"I am surprised that everyone defends Dish in this, given the things I note. You don't know it, but you are lobbying for less competition, antithetical to the American Way. These locals are barely making it and widen the diversity of programming, yet you treat them as if they are impediments. Dish here is making 44% profit!! In the long-run you may get your way, and have only ONE CHOICE for programming. Congratulations."

Can I get an Amen for the Brother Quantum?

Why don't tools like this play in their own litter box rather than coming here to dump???

BTW, I doubt your 44% profit number, but if it is true, that is the American Way. Maximize profits!

You assume that I'm a Dish subscriber. That is an incorrect assumption.

I am surprised that everyone defends Dish in this, given the things I note. You don't know it, but you are lobbying for less competition, antithetical to the American Way. These locals are barely making it and widen the diversity of programming, yet you treat them as if they are impediments. Dish here is making 44% profit!! In the long-run you may get your way, and have only ONE CHOICE for programming. Congratulations.

Not that much competition as most of these locals are being compiled into groups.
Locals can often be owned by the same companies. They just retransmit the same stuff. And in many cases more and more paid programming.

Switch if you like, but it looks like all providers will be fighting it out at one point or another. Local Fox is now in dispute with cable Bend Broadband for money. Go to Direct if yiou like but you may have the same problem there when their contract is up.

That is gross profit margin which is essentially after programming fees, does not take into account all the other costs. The operating margin is 17.22% and by the time they are done paying everything including taxes it is down to 6.8% that I mentioned above. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_margin"]Gross margin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

A restaurant selling a $3 hamburger may have a 66.6% gross profit margin. Yes the hamburger meat, bun, condiments cost them $1, but that is not the end of their costs. You forget about the cooks, server, electricity, gas, equipment, building, taxes, etc, etc, etc.

If im not mistaken some of the older model receivers used PSIP data for the OTA locals. The issue was that it didn't work half the time and we had people complaining about not having guide information, so they switched to using their own EPG

I think the 6000 did not have OTA guide listings at all and the 811 used the satellite guide for OTA locals it just did not require local subscription to show them.

I refuse to go back and read your nonsence. Thanks though! Enjoy your D* service.
All he is saying is since Dish makes a decent profit, they as a company should absorb some of the cost of the locals they carry instead of passing it on to the costumers or pulling them off of the air.

I happen to dissagree with him as I do not think Dish's profits are anywhere near 44%.

All he is saying is since Dish makes a decent profit, they as a company should absorb some of the cost of the locals they carry instead of passing it on to the costumers or pulling them off of the air.

I happen to dissagree with him as I do not think Dish's profits are anywhere near 44%.

Everyone can have an opinion about what Dish should or shouldn't do in this disagreement (I have one :) ). But it's immaterial; they will do what they want and consumers will vote with their $$$. That's the way we get to the bottom of what should be done (IMO, of course). After all, many people have already voted about Dish's approach to carrying national HD (and their other programming/equipment decisions). Why should this be any different?

I think you are all getting ripped off. I would never have dish after having them f me over as a subcontractor for 18 months. I haven't had D* since my TiVo R10 hard drive died. Local stations are nutty for asking for ANY money from anybody other than advertisers. If they get paid for me to have the option to watch their crappy programming, then I should be able to choose which city I get networks out of, because they are then NOT free, and become just another subscription package.

Another reason they are nutty is that I can watch just about any show for free, streaming, and sometimes in HD, right off the network's website. I have lifeline cable because it is "included" with my internet, so I have no need for D* or E*. I miss the TiVo, becuase I had lots of stuff to watch whenever I wanted, but I also have a nice DVD collection to fall back on, and a netflix account.

So, somebody care to explain why the "local" networks should have their cake and get to eat it, too? I think they should lose their protected status if they get money. I want the right to choose what I pay for.............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts