Dish Network Auditing me

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xomo

Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
The other day Dish Network cut off 3 of my 4 receivers. They left me a message to call an 888 number. I called from work and they said that in order to reactivate the receives I have to be on the phone with them and read back a series of numbers to them that they send through to the receivers. They said that they periodically audit customer's receivers. What are they up to? I don't have the receivers hooked up to phone lines as there are no phone jacks near the receivers and one of them in is my camper. The guy on the phone said that it was no big deal that they are not hooked up to a phone line. Any advice is appreciated as to what is going on.

Sometimes Dish does that. When I had 4 receivers, they called me and had me read off the R & S #'s

Reason is people do account sharing. They have a receiver not int the same area as the others. As an example, we have one receiver at our cabin all the time (the other 2 are at the house). Technically this is a no no, but people do it.

Iceberg said:
Sometimes Dish does that. When I had 4 receivers, they called me and had me read off the R & S #'s

Reason is people do account sharing. They have a receiver not int the same area as the others. As an example, we have one receiver at our cabin all the time (the other 2 are at the house). Technically this is a no no, but people do it.

Yeah I've done that, is there any info they are going to gain from the numbers that I have to read to them that I might not want them to have?

The idea is that they send them down and ask you to read them while you are on the phone, this tells them that all receivers are at one location.

umm, pretty sure i can have a reciever at my cabin or my humvee or motor home or any of those other things i dont have, I never read anywhere that they have to be in one house or one garage or machine shed, i dont think i am going to pay 4 different accounts just cause its another building, cable wouldnt do that.

of course, anyone that is trying to do this maliciously would have simply written down all the info from the receivers.

Just a big waste of time..

Odi - that's IF all they ask is the R & S numbers. If they were to ask the location code - which changes often, maybe even under their control on a whim, that'd be a different story.

It would be nice to have it on the air prior to the *one* I-A game on CSTV this year, BYU vs. Stanford on the 11th (10 PM EDT).

SimpleSimon said:
Odi - that's IF all they ask is the R & S numbers. If they were to ask the location code - which changes often, maybe even under their control on a whim, that'd be a different story.

What's a "location code?" Is it possible that if I have all receivers in the same location when I report to Dish that they will be able to tell that receivers were previously in different locations? Just trying to avoid getting burned here.

The location code is simply a random set of numbers on the Sys Info screen. As long as you're legit, you have nothing to worry about. The numbers do change, so you'll have to be on the phone with them and have the numbers available to them.

Location ID is the last item on the system information screen, DISH has been using this for several years to control locations. If you have three of four receivers at home and number 4 at a vacation home you won't be able to give the 4th location id on the phone so that receiver stays shut off.

The other day, I discovered that Dish de-activated my employer's 3 Dish receivers! (We use both D and E. But, the building I'm responsible for has E stuff.)
I contacted our AP dept., got our account number, and called Dish commercial services. They could not tell me why they were disconnected! They confirmed what our AP told me, which is that we were paying our bills on time. They just closed our account, and stopped billing back in April for no reason!!! I wonder if it was one of these audit deals? (They probably couldn't get a hold of the right person here.)
It's a good thing our CEO or exec staff hasn't wanted to watch CNBC or something. I can just picture the CEO (or his admin, more likely) yelling my name, resonating throughout the building, like Mr. Spacely yelling "JETSON!".

cl1986, If I remember my DISH rules from when I installed for them it said that you are required to have a constant telephone connection for all receivers from the same phone line. Now I know that a whole lot of people don't do that and get away with it but I think they will shut your non-connected receivers down if you get caught. As for the mobile set-up you mentioned, I thing you need an RV or "over the road" truck waiver to get away with that.

cl1986 said:
umm, pretty sure i can have a reciever at my cabin or my humvee or motor home or any of those other things i dont have, I never read anywhere that they have to be in one house or one garage or machine shed, i dont think i am going to pay 4 different accounts just cause its another building, cable wouldnt do that.

Call your cable co. and tell them you need a second outlet installed, 200 miles away at your weekend place, tell them you need a third outlet in your humvee, tell them you need a fourth drop in your motor home (make sure they leave LOTS of extra wire), make sure all this is on the same account.

After you talk to them get back to us and let us know how hard they were laughing at you

Are the location id's specific for the receiver you have or do they just check to see if you give them any location id that may have been sent down? I would think that the location id would be specific to the receiver that you would have and they would have the code for each one. I dont think its a matter of where it is at, just a matter of whether you can read off the numbers when they ask for them which means they would be at the same location.

Does DirecTv have anything similar location id's? I heard that they was requiring the phone line but quit requiring it unless you wanted NFL ticket or wanted to order PPV's.

The location ID is based on your receiver ID and the current time of day.

Stargazer said:
Does DirecTv have anything similar location id's? I heard that they was requiring the phone line but quit requiring it unless you wanted NFL ticket or wanted to order PPV's.
I'm pretty sure DTV doesn't do auditing and doesn't have anything like location id's. Phone line connection is only required for Sports subscriptions to get blackout information and if you want to order PPV with the remote.

3 words in the form of an acronym for anyone who's "sharing" an account - AIM

as for me... feel free to audit me dish when you read this. i'm not sharing. however, i'm not a fan of corporate strong-arming and turning OFF receievers THEN auditing is a BS tactic in my opinion. audit first, THEN turn off if user if found to be sharing.

actually... that's 1 acronym and 2 words in the form of another acronym... isn't it. LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)