Dish Network Corp. (DISH) founder Charlie Ergen said he may permanently drop Time Warner Inc.

OTT is the new generations version of the STB. You no longer will have a set top box, it will be over the top, via Internet on your OTT capable device(hopefully roku, phones, tablets laptops etc)

ESPN going (a la carta) to the internet OTT subcription next year. If directv drop ESPN you can still have ESPN via OTT.

This works great until the local cable company that supplies your broadband gets into a dispute and they cut off all traffic to the cable company, even though you might subscribe to Dish or DIRECTV...

OTT is the new generations version of the STB. You no longer will have a set top box, it will be over the top, via Internet on your OTT capable device(hopefully roku, phones, tablets laptops etc)
So, unless it's on a device like Apple Tv or something like it the future of watching programs will be back to the small screens. Whoopie! Football on a phone. That would be fun to have the friends over for! Well, I guess you could have an internet ready tv.
The future with all programs over the internet and the demise of cable/sat companies is more expensive than it is now, imho. Programmers will have to make up for the loss of revenue somewhere. Tivo will like the lack of competition from the dvr segment of cable/sat companies I would imagine. And then when you try to subscribe to the programming of your ISP's competitor you can get a message saying that you can have it for the low price of $19.95/mo on top of your normal rate for your internet. Hopefully there is a solution that doesn't screw the customer, but from the perspective or maybe 20 years from now we could be in the golden age of tv!
It's looking to bleak, I'm going to go have a beer!

I'm pretty sure that's DirecTV Scott is talking about. Dish just came to a deal with Disney earlier this year for the HD, OTT, SEC Network, Watch ESPN app, etc... He quoted a post in which DTV having a upcoming skirmish with AMC was mentioned. I remember reading DTV and Disney contract expires at years end.
Ok, Thanks. I wonder why Scott would be talking about DIRECTV in a DISH posting forum?

So, unless it's on a device like Apple Tv or something like it the future of watching programs will be back to the small screens. Whoopie! Football on a phone. That would be fun to have the friends over for! Well, I guess you could have an internet ready tv.
The future with all programs over the internet and the demise of cable/sat companies is more expensive than it is now, imho. Programmers will have to make up for the loss of revenue somewhere. Tivo will like the lack of competition from the dvr segment of cable/sat companies I would imagine. And then when you try to subscribe to the programming of your ISP's competitor you can get a message saying that you can have it for the low price of $19.95/mo on top of your normal rate for your internet. Hopefully there is a solution that doesn't screw the customer, but from the perspective or maybe 20 years from now we could be in the golden age of tv!
It's looking to bleak, I'm going to go have a beer!
It has already been announced it will be on Roku, so nice overreacting to nothing. It will be available in HD on big TV's.

Amazing how Dish, as hard as they are to negotiate with, got a deal with ESPN, but Directv may not get a deal done with them even though they got this big deal with NFL Sunday Ticket?

Charlie said CNN has become irrelevant and I think he is right. CNN constantly putting out propaganda and lying to us. Charlie should just replace CNN with RT America which is free!

Amazing how Dish, as hard as they are to negotiate with, got a deal with ESPN, but Directv may not get a deal done with them even though they got this big deal with NFL Sunday Ticket?
That's because the current contract isn't expired yet so they still have time to renegotiate,
although they did remove LHN and Fusion from testing.

That's because the current contract isn't expired yet so they still have time to renegotiate,

Is there any chance that Directv would drag their feet on a long term deal with ESPN waiting to see if the merger with AT&T goes through? I would think that once that goes through, assuming it will, that the contract would look different.

Yes, but its just as easy to add them as it is to remove them. It only takes a few hours (IF THAT) to add or remove a channel providing everything is built out. DirecTV most likely will leave it built out as often these agreements come to fruition at the 11:59 hour. I could see that happening, or DirecTV and ESPN coming to a gentleman's agreement to keep the channels up and prorate the new contract for the Jan 01 2015 date. That would be idea for both companies. I also wonder how the ATT deal plays into the contracts now. When ATT takes over in the spring time frame, do the Uverse contracts get blanketed into Directv or do DirecTV's contracts get wrapped into Uverse? Hopefully Uverse has EPIX and we see that land on to DirecTV.

This works great until the local cable company that supplies your broadband gets into a dispute and they cut off all traffic to the cable company, even though you might subscribe to Dish or DIRECTV...
Why ESPN should block IP address to the cable company? The dispute is the cable service.

It has already been announced it will be on Roku, so nice overreacting to nothing. It will be available in HD on big TV's.
Hard wired broadband is not as widespread as some think and cell phone tower (wireless) Internet isn't always stable. US Commerce Dept map. Blue is hard wired broadband.

broadband-map.jpg

I don't see why AT&T have anything to do with ESPN potential deal
if they added SECN i'm not sure why they can't renew the rest, when the time comes

It took a couple months with Dish so it'll probably be the same with Directv.

Last edited:
Hard wired broadband is not as widespread as some think and cell phone tower (wireless) Internet isn't always stable. US Commerce Dept map. Blue is hard wired broadband.

View attachment 102845

You're wasting your time. This point has been made repeatedly but some just don't seem to get it. If you live in a city, you have options. However, there are thousands of small towns across this country which don't have access to dependable broadband. I'm sitting in the city limits of a town of 5000 population. I have broadband which comes over the air on a line of sight from downtown. No cable or dsl is available. My speeds sometimes get up to 2 mb/s and dips to below dial-up speeds. Not reliable enough to watch TV from.

Fortunately, those of us in small towns and rural areas have other things to do besides sitting around watching TV all the time. :)

Charlie said CNN has become irrelevant and I think he is right. CNN constantly putting out propaganda and lying to us. Charlie should just replace CNN with RT America which is free!
Umm... complaining about "propaganda" and your replacement idea is RT America?

CNN isn't obsolete, it is an inferior news source. Cable news, in general, is nothing but a video version of tabloid and banal magazines. They are partly to blame. The viewer is also to blame, as this is pulp garbage is what the viewer kind of wants. They don't want in depth details about what is going on, they want outrage and filler in small, easily digestible amounts. At least the that is viewer CNN is targetting. Other cable news viewers are looking for self-reassurance and to feel good about themselves and being on the right side, and to mock their political opponents.

My problem is that while CNN is a lump on the television listings, Cartoon Network and TCM are two of the best networks available, and perhaps the only non-premium channels that have kept to their original mission. It is a shame that they are being dragged down with CNN, a channel with only a real purpose during bad or historical events.

Reactions: TheKrell
Why ESPN should block IP address to the cable company? The dispute is the cable service.

It is a new trend. Viacom is doing it now with Cableone since they are in dispute. If you are using Cableone internet you cannot stream from Viacom owned sites like MTV.com. So, you could be subscribed to Dish but cut off because you have Cableone as an ISP.

Yespage said:
My problem is that while CNN is a lump on the television listings, Cartoon Network and TCM are two of the best networks available, and perhaps the only non-premium channels that have kept to their original mission. It is a shame that they are being dragged down with CNN, a channel with only a real purpose during bad or historical events.

Agree on TCM, not so much on Cartoon Network - used to be classics like the original Scooby Doo run and old Looney Tunes. Now its a bunch of modern stuff I can't stand.

TCM is missed, though. AMC never shows old stuff any longer and it is loaded with commercials anyways. Closest sub is the 'Retro' movie channel via BB@H. TCM had it down for the old classics and it came with our basic package. Charlie should tell Turner that everything else can go, but we will negotiate for TCM (yeah, like that would fly . . .).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)