Dish Network: Distant Networks

"Right side of the law", does that translate to "Haven't got caught"? :D

Sooooo, will Mrs. Charlie be starting her own satellite company, specializing in distant network channels for those located in the wilderness? I guess she could lease some bandwidth from and maybe contract out for satellite control functions through a close relative. :D

Maybe Sky Angle (?) could add a DNS line-up for its subscribers!:eureka

Both D* and E* were "caught" 7-8 years ago. D* complied with the courts orders back then and E* didn't. Now E* is being penalized as written in the law (permanent injunction).

"Right side of the law", does that translate to "Haven't got caught"? :D

Sooooo, will Mrs. Charlie be starting her own satellite company, specializing in distant network channels for those located in the wilderness? I guess she could lease some bandwidth from and maybe contract out for satellite control functions through a close relative. :D

Maybe Sky Angle (?) could add a DNS line-up for its subscribers!:eureka

It'd be one hell of a play. 61.5 is tough to receive for CA but it's still there. Dish could always be more 'amicable' to Sky Angel in exchange for having them carry the distant nets.... including agreeing that anyone subbing to Sky Angel gets a 'family friendly' basic DishNet subscription in exchange for Sky Angel dropping the dupe channels they carry and carrying DNS instead. Thus, VV, any DishNet sub gets Sky Angel automatically and can subscribe to DNS through them. Remember USSB and DirecTV? It's been done before.

i have the locals on my 522, 622 needs to be hit again i guess

but the QP of the locals i now can get from meridian miss suck. Its really bad vs the distants i have had for 5 or 6 years

locals are not on par in quality and no idea if this area gets HD via DISH any time soon if ever

i have watched 10 mins of the 'free' locals since they were enabled on my 522 so i have not called to get the 622 fixed fearing they might F up the distants, lol

Hello, reed this.

EchoStar Statement in Response to Florida Court Ruling
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 23, 2006--In BW6303 issued Oct. 23, 2006: fourth graph, third sentence should read: EchoStar currently offers local ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox channels by satellite in 170 markets, serving over 96 percent of the U.S. population. (Sted 175 markets and 95 percent).

The corrected release reads:

ECHOSTAR STATEMENT IN RESPONSE TO FLORIDA COURT RULING

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) issued the following statement in response to the injunction issued on Friday by a U.S. district court in Miami:

"Over the nine year course of the litigation, EchoStar was able to reach settlements with seven of the eight plaintiffs, representing approximately 90 percent of all television network stations in the United States. We are disappointed the judge concluded that given the statutory language he was required to ignore those settlements and impose the injunction.

EchoStar will continue to do everything possible to prevent consumers from losing their distant network channels. We will ask Congress to clarify the statutory language, and ask the courts to re-consider their decision. In addition, we are taking numerous steps to protect our customers from unnecessarily losing access to those channels.

EchoStar has over 12.46 million subscribers, less than one million of whom subscribe to distant network channels. Federal law prohibits all satellite and cable companies from providing these channels to consumers except in very limited circumstances. EchoStar currently offers local ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox channels by satellite in 170 markets, serving over 96 percent of the U.S. population. These local networks are not part of the court injunction; therefore, a majority of our distant network customers will be able to watch their local network channels without interruption. In the limited areas where local channels are not available by satellite, we also intend to protect our customers by providing free off-air antennas and other alternatives.

Distant network channels are ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox broadcast channels that originate from a market outside the community in which a subscriber lives. The ruling does not involve, and there is no danger, that DISH Network customers will lose their local ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox network channels, or any of the other great programming available from EchoStar's DISH Network."

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12.46 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service.

with every network giving free replays just hours after the first airing it seems this is just a old law that the technology has passed by.