DISH Network Launches Distant Networks

levibluewa said:
I can't believe DISH can't make arrangement with AAD to offer to their subs the same HD channels. The channels are taking up transponder space anyway and it would mean a few extra $$$ in DISHs pocket and a much happier subscriber base.

Great point

Thanks for the links. I hope that Dish understands that a big number of DNS requests will be coming from full-time RVers, people with any other home but their RV and don't need a Pay-As-You=Go second account.

I read through that thing - didn't see whether or not it is "all networks" from east and west coast (NY, LA) or just one, or what... from sound of the overall expense, I don't see a reason to change from DTV where we already have all this ..
and thought DISH still under terms of that lawsuit where they're not allowed to provide that access directly - (only thru that outside source that was being used and charged for-- American something or other - been couple years since read all that).

I read through that thing - didn't see whether or not it is "all networks" from east and west coast (NY, LA) or just one, or what... from sound of the overall expense, I don't see a reason to change from DTV where we already have all this ..
and thought DISH still under terms of that lawsuit where they're not allowed to provide that access directly - (only thru that outside source that was being used and charged for-- American something or other - been couple years since read all that).

The last law change gave Dish the ability to do distants in exchange for carrying every market. Since Dish now carries every market (in SD and affliates that will play ball), they can offer distants. But, by carrying every market Dish cannot offer distants to any fixed address because they cannot offer distants to any market that they carry. So, only the RV/Trucker markets can be served by Dish.

I'm sure DISHs corporate lawyers could figure out a way to allow AAD access to these HD channels and provide them to their (AADs) client base, for a fee.

If that were the case, AAD wouldn't have had to drop their HD DNS channels a few months ago.

If that were the case, AAD wouldn't have had to drop their HD DNS channels a few months ago.

I've never heard a reasonable explanation why that occurred, and the people that do know aren't talking. Charlie would certainly benefit $wise if he could reach an agreement with AAD to provide a service that he cannot, since the channels are up, operational & taking up transponder space. Whatever the number of truckers & rvers subscription base could only be added to via AAD. Also, it would make more sense to me if all those channels were on the 119. Will truckers & rvers need to tote along a 1000.2 and a 1000.4 dish to pick up 72.7 (NY) and 110? (LA), or, if you and rv and truck in the eastern US you'll have to fill out one form, and if you rv & truck in the western US you'll have to fill out another form and you can't cross a line in the middle of the US without going thru DISH security.

So how does this fit with what I've heard called "Snowbird" accounts. Is this a replacement or an alternative?

I've tried, without success, to register for a Snowbird account. My understanding was it would let me legally move my receiver(s) between house and RV and get locals wherever I happen to be, if available, with a single account. Does this add DNS to that or instead of that?

snowbird is different. That is when you have 2 fixed locations.
Got a relative that has it set up that way
spends May-October in Minneapolis so they get Mpls locals
Nov-April they are in Ft Myers, FL. They load their 2 receivers in the suitcase when they fly down, they call Dish and changes the address to Ft Myers. Now they get those locals

When they come back they call and switch back to Mpls
As soon as the word RV is involved thats different

snowbird is different. That is when you have 2 fixed locations.
Got a relative that has it set up that way
spends May-October in Minneapolis so they get Mpls locals
Nov-April they are in Ft Myers, FL. They load their 2 receivers in the suitcase when they fly down, they call Dish and changes the address to Ft Myers. Now they get those locals

When they come back they call and switch back to Mpls
As soon as the word RV is involved thats different

On two occasions when I called and asked for a snowbird account they had me fax my RV registration. (In both cases the fax was misplaced and I finally gave up.)

they gave you wrong info

per a post from a DIRT member (Dish Internet Response Team)

The correct way to have service like you do, is to set up a Snowbird account with us. The main requirements for a snowbird account are that you take ALL receivers with you to either home, and you call to update your physical address every time you move

they gave you wrong info

per a post from a DIRT member (Dish Internet Response Team)

The correct way to have service like you do, is to set up a Snowbird account with us. The main requirements for a snowbird account are that you take ALL receivers with you to either home, and you call to update your physical address every time you move

That was the plan. I take my one DVR with me and typically stay in one place for 2-4 weeks. A DIRT member on another forum suggested it. He said the frequent moves wouldn't be a problem.

Can I still do what you (and he) said? Can I get HD-DNS too? If so, I may try again.

the snowbird policy is only for 2 locations (not many multiple) and they have to be fixed (ie: both locations are on file with Dish)

snowbird policy does not qualify for distants
If you want distants, you need to follow the RV policy as posted in post 1

I'm not even sure you would really need an RV, a trailer with a registration would probably fullfill the requirement...

That's it?
I thought it would be more difficult. You just have to buy an RV, open a second account for the distants then sell the RV
Sure and then buy a new RV each time when your RV registration expires and Dish TV calls for an update.

how about adding all the los angeles locals for more money? i wouldn't mind paying for it if it is avaliable.