Dish not offering 942 on lease anylonger

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Was on the fence about ordering the 942 thru new customer choice on there web page. Went thru the motions last week and the 942 was still an option. As of today if you pick 2 tv's, both HD and want DVD they try and only give you 2 811's and a 522. I used live CSR help link and asked if they were still offering the 942 as an option and first they said NO. Then said I could add it but only by telephone. He said he did not now the price.

It worked for me

I am a former VOOMER, and I signed up for Dish Today over the phone. I got a 942 for $250 plus $5 per month, an 811 for $5 per month, and a free install. Not a bad deal. You just have to pick up the phone.

Chris

You'll love the 942. It has better picture quality and a prettier programming guide than the 811, but the 811 zips though channels faster (to be expected as the 811 is not a DVR). Now I never miss HD reruns of the X-Files on TNT-HD.

The 942 makes the 811 look like a tinker toy. The 942 has some flaws but overall a great unit. I got mine for $250 up front, no monthly fees except the $5 DVR fee. Might be a mistake but I dont pay a lease fee on the unit.

David Dietzel said:
You'll love the 942. It has better picture quality and a prettier programming guide than the 811, but the 811 zips though channels faster (to be expected as the 811 is not a DVR). Now I never miss HD reruns of the X-Files on TNT-HD.

Just a question on your opinion of quality of pic,, How are you measuring that, is it that much better and more noticable? because I just got a 811 going to hook up when I sub Tomorrow, now , should I get a 942 or stay, this freakin' board has me dizzy ....LLOOLL Is it the Quality of pic or the technics of the 942, that makes it that much better ?

I thank you and appreciate your humble opinion. This is a great community ,Lot of knowledge and helpful peeps. If the difference in quality is close, I see no reason to chop the 811.

HAWK :cool:

I don't have a 942 but a friend of mine does (I decided to wait until late September and see if E* bring us any new news concerning MPEG4).

Anyway, I decided to bring my 811 to his place and do a comparison between both PQ's... and the difference in image quality is quite noticeable... the 942 offers a PQ that's whole lot better than the one offered by the 811.

xhawkx said:
JIf the difference in quality is close, I see no reason to chop the 811.

I don't own a 942, but I own an 811 and the oft lauded LG LST-4200A OTA STB. HD from the 811 via component isn't much off the mark. Off of DVI, there is the software "wash-out" issue that started w/ P269.

I think the PQ issue most folks are talking about with the 811 is the SD (from Dish broadcasts, not OTA) PQ from DVI or component. Many folks switch to s-video to watch it because they believe the PQ is better that way. Again, I don't see a significant difference between component and s-video for watching Dish channels. Any OTA, HD or SD, looks fine via component on the 811. Not as good as the 4200A, but more than adequate.

New Subscriber

I got the $250 deal as a new subscriber. I had to pay $49.99 for the install, but I get that back on my first bill. So the total installation is only $250 for a 942 and 811. I will follow up about my install experience on Saturday.

Chris

How does the 942 compare to the 921? Have they resolved the software glitches that the 921 had? I am thinking about replacing the 921 - or do I wait. Does anyone know when the next new model comes out? It seems that I finally get the best and they come out with a new one the next week.

netcommsj said:
How does the 942 compare to the 921? Have they resolved the software glitches that the 921 had? I am thinking about replacing the 921 - or do I wait. Does anyone know when the next new model comes out? It seems that I finally get the best and they come out with a new one the next week.

I went through 3 different 921s and was ready to Ditch The Dish. I wrote an e-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com and got a reply a day later. After some discussiont hey leased me a 942 for $250. I returned the 921 to Costco for a full refund (whata greta company they are!) and have been very happy. I was rebooting my 921 about every week or 2. I have had one lockup in almost 3 months with 942, other than that it has been fine. None of the quirks that the 921 had and PQ is good and the enhanced guide, well I don;t know how I lived with those old giant guides! 942 is way better than 921! And more stable!