Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Effective Saturday, June 25, 2011, between 2:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m (ET),

The DishOnline system will be down completely

Sent from my phone using the FREE SatelliteGuys App!

Presumably for upgraded s/w. It will be interesting to see what it's like afterwards.

I hope they change over to the SlingBox interface instead of the lousy one they have now.

After all Charlie owns both Dish and Sling.

Effective Saturday, June 25, 2011, between 2:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m (ET),

The DishOnline system will be down completely

Sent from my phone using the FREE SatelliteGuys App!
And where exactly is this posted from Dish? I'm not dissing you Scott ... I'm dissing Dish .. I just went to DishOnline.com .. its 1am eastern.. and the site looks normal ... there's no "hey we'll be going off line in an hour" no "upcoming maintenance"

And again... no offense meant.. Why would anyone think to come to "satelliteguys.us" for something about DishOnline? I mean your average user... not the type we already have here.

Dish .. in the business of communicating, without saying anything.

Not a big fan of DishOnline due to fewer features than DishRemoteAccess.

This is what I am afraid of. DISH plans on replacing DRA with DO soon, I hope they're not doing that because DO is terrible compared to DRA.

And where exactly is this posted from Dish? I'm not dissing you Scott ... I'm dissing Dish .. I just went to DishOnline.com .. its 1am eastern.. and the site looks normal ... there's no "hey we'll be going off line in an hour" no "upcoming maintenance"

And again... no offense meant.. Why would anyone think to come to "satelliteguys.us" for something about DishOnline? I mean your average user... not the type we already have here.

Dish .. in the business of communicating, without saying anything.
You are quickly becoming the Sat Guys Dish malcontent of 2011. Incessant moaning and groaning. Your reply, I've pretty much already scripted. You are very repetitive and foreseeable. Scott gave a reasonable heads up...you have to BE YOU!!!

It's not going to be down outright - it's still up and has been up. And perhaps it wasn't communicated, TG2, because there was no need to communicate a downtime when there is no real anticipated downtime that could affect customers? Sure, if DISH expected DISHOnline.com to be down for a full 5 hours, then maybe a release would be reasonable. But seeing as I still have full access to dishonline.com right now at 1:30am MST, I'm not worried or upset.

You are quickly becoming the Sat Guys Dish malcontent of 2011. Incessant moaning and groaning. Your reply, I've pretty much already scripted. You are very repetitive and foreseeable. Scott gave a reasonable heads up...you have to BE YOU!!!
of course I do .. and I don't know why you have to say "Scott gave a reasonable heads up" ... my comment was in no way, and I thought very clear on that fact, a digg or disrespect on Scott! In fact.. why do we have to hear from people *outside* of dish ... what dish's plans are.. thats my entire point in this..

Dish as a responsible company .. with the potential to effect 16 million customers .. doesn't tell those customers what its doing in a proactive manner. As a customer of dish .... I should be able to go to dish's websites ... and get information like this there.. my hardline point, and will probably continue till I am dead ... is that dish needs to communicate. We pay for the service, as part of that, we should be given notice *by dish* when they have planned outages ... regardless of whether the outage is effecting customers as they thought it would.

If you take it to the next level of business thought .. if you have a place where you inform customers of potential outages, known conditions, etc, you reduce the number of inbound telephone calls and support chats because the customers get accustomed to checking that "bulletin board" for issues.

If you take it to the next level of business thought .. if you have a place where you inform customers of potential outages, known conditions, etc, you reduce the number of inbound telephone calls and support chats because the customers get accustomed to checking that "bulletin board" for issues.
Thats why even people from DISH come here to learn whats going on at their own company. ;)

Thats why even people from DISH come here to learn whats going on at their own company. ;)
LOL :)

The site has been "up" most of the morning... it will even play content from hbo, starz etc... what I've found as a problem (just tested again) was that attempting to play anything from my DVR or to hit Live TV (I have a sling adapter) did not open the "play" window.

Attempting to play a DVR item still immdiately starts playback of the item on TV1 ... but without actually opening the SlingAdapter's window. Less than 20 mins to go.. wonder if they will make it in that time frame.. :)

Well the site was down until sunday evening ... the site itself worked, logged out, logged in, no problems.. could start external content from all over (the inbred hulu, hbo, starz, etc) but when I tried to do DVR or Live TV (I have a sling adapter) all I'd get is a banner bar 25 pixels deep, 800 or so pixels wide.

Sometime after 8pm it started working again ... but for all the downtime, its still working as it was before (Still Broken) If you press play on a DVR'd item it immdeiately plays on TV1

Well ... Until this past week, I was in dual mode all the time, but then was doing some testing and switched back to single mode ... and then found that with the current firmware (either changed with L683 or L685) when going to DRA/DO and coming out it would switch back to Single mode.

If it wasn't the firmware that changed that behavior, then it was something on the back end that caused the receiver to switch back into single mode .... because before "then" I would be in single mode, it would switch to Dual mode, and then stay there.

I've just tested again .... manually switching into dual mode first... and the same effect.

Now the one thing that *may* be different now after this weekend ... is that before now ... you'd start the playback ... and it would immediately start on TV1 ... and then usually *not* start on the web. The two or three times I've tried this since the system came back up sunday night, the item starts on TV1 and then within the 20 to 40 seconds later, playback has started on the web too.

This was the behavior that started 7 to 8 weeks ago, on a sunday the week after they took the "beta" out of their url and off all the normal pages. DO went off line for about 30 minutes that sunday ... and when it came back.. 4 out of 5 times, trying to play an item on the Web would only start it on TV1 and the web page would stay playing live tv.

During this time DRA always worked as normal.. and surprise surprise.. *DRA* actually has the choices there in front of you on the play button ... when you hover over it offers to Start on web/start on TV or "resume" if the item had already been played some already.

And that's a sore point in DishOnline for me.. that DishOnline rather than just adding the content "Aggregation" (hulu, hbo, starz, epix, etc) they completely dropped all the features of DRA and appears to have started from scratch, *without* the most common features available (all the DVR's have resume, DRA has resume, so why doesn't DishOnline? ... and there are other features missing)

EDIT ... problem is still there when using IE8 on Vista. Pressed play on a DVR item ... after 30 seconds.. it started playing on TV1 ... Web page stayed on live tv.

This is just stupid.. what the hell did they do this weekend?

Dish Network IPTV

Can I cancel DVR Service?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts