DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

For all those who are complaing, find me a provider who hasn't increased their prices? If you think the grass is greener on the other side, just remember your looking sideways and can't see the bare spots that you could see if you were looking down.

Recieved my bill this morning, also was a online link to review the prices increases, very similar to one the Direct gave out outlining why and the new prices

You do all realize that if it gets to the point where everyone drops satellite and cable and switches to getting their favorite shows off the internet that their fees with rise as well. If the industry sees that the majority of people are watching their programs online they will take advantage of it. You'll see the networks buying out the companies that are showing the content and then you'll see more ads. You'll start seeing the price increase online as well. In a few years you'll end up spending almost the same amount of money. It's just the nature of the business. Maybe I'm wrong but knowing how this industry works I'm betting it would happen.

Yep, the reason there is so much cheap or free streaming right now is because the content is paid for by subscribers and ads on conventional TV subscriptions and such. If/when that changes, then the cost to get streams will rise in some manner. That content is not free you know.

You do all realize that if it gets to the point where everyone drops satellite and cable and switches to getting their favorite shows off the internet that their fees with rise as well. If the industry sees that the majority of people are watching their programs online they will take advantage of it. You'll see the networks buying out the companies that are showing the content and then you'll see more ads. You'll start seeing the price increase online as well. In a few years you'll end up spending almost the same amount of money. It's just the nature of the business. Maybe I'm wrong but knowing how this industry works I'm betting it would happen.

Exactly. Netflix and Hulu have content deals with providers too, just like sat companies. If the providers notice a huge shift in viewership, they'll want more for the content, which gets passed down to the subscriber, and prices will rise. Content dispute? You drop programs, you'll lose customers (or need to give the customers a reason to stay). It all works the same way.

Speaking of content (and drifting off-topic)... has anyone watched House of Cards on Netflix yet?

It is the nature of the business, all of you are right. No competition, oligopolic ownership of content, collusion. That has to change before anything else will.

I'll wait til I get the actual Bill before I make a call or three.

Figured I'd follow up on my own post:
I got my Feb bill, and I did indeed get a $10 credit (1 or 18). So my bill went up by about 6 bucks, not the full 15. Still, it's a sword of Damocles hanging over my head. :). I'll take it when I what I can get.

Yep, the reason there is so much cheap or free streaming right now is because the content is paid for by subscribers and ads on conventional TV subscriptions and such. If/when that changes, then the cost to get streams will rise in some manner. That content is not free you know.

Exactly. Netflix and Hulu have content deals with providers too, just like sat companies. If the providers notice a huge shift in viewership, they'll want more for the content, which gets passed down to the subscriber, and prices will rise. Content dispute? You drop programs, you'll lose customers (or need to give the customers a reason to stay). It all works the same way.
So basically we should all just quit whining, keep a pay-tv service, and buy a lifetime supply of K-Y then. :rolleyes:
Speaking of content (and drifting off-topic)... has anyone watched House of Cards on Netflix yet?

Very good series. I won't spoil things for you. But you ain't seen nothin' yet! :eek:

So basically we should all just quit whining, keep a pay-tv service, and buy a lifetime supply of K-Y then. :rolleyes:

Very good series. I won't spoil things for you. But you ain't seen nothin' yet! :eek:

Well I'm not sure how the complaining is helping. The content providers are not going to change any time soon. You could start your own TV service. Maybe get a job with one of the major TV providers and tell them how their whole method isn't working and they need to stand up to the networks. Better yet, take over one of the networks(hopefully Disney) and change their whole business plan by making a product that offers more value.

Television should be getting CHEAPER - not more expensive. Dish should tell any network who wants to get more money to piss off - drop that channel - and keep my prices low. I am furious that they want to raise prices and give us ' free' blockbuster on Weekends (what a load of crap) - They bought blockbuster - they have failed to make it interesting, they are probably loosing their ass on it - and now are forcing ALL of us to help them pay for something we dont want... Useless blockbuster channel playing 30 minute garbage shows and an occasional 15 year old movie that nobody wants to see...

Unfortunely my mother doesnt know how to use a computer as well as I do - I would have dropped them in a heartbeat and gone to nothing but online streaming for a price hike like this - I'm stuck paying her bill and this outrageous increase just pisses me off.

-DVR fee - what a load of crap - make me pay for hardware, make me pay to use the hardware? I dont think so... I own it - it works fine all by itself - there is no need to pay monthly fees for it... I have not - EVER paid a dvr fee to them - and I'm not about to start now.

I did not read 116 pages - but I can only hope that others are angered by this as well.

-Brian

Television should be getting CHEAPER - not more expensive. Dish should tell any network who wants to get more money to piss off - drop that channel - and keep my prices low.

Yeah, right. Will never happen. Look at how much bitching there was when Dish dropped AMC. Look how many people want to jump ship if their favorite channel is in dispute.

Television should be getting CHEAPER - not more expensive. Dish should tell any network who wants to get more money to piss off - drop that channel - and keep my prices low. I am furious that they want to raise prices and give us ' free' blockbuster on Weekends (what a load of crap) - They bought blockbuster - they have failed to make it interesting, they are probably loosing their ass on it - and now are forcing ALL of us to help them pay for something we dont want... Useless blockbuster channel playing 30 minute garbage shows and an occasional 15 year old movie that nobody wants to see...

Unfortunely my mother doesnt know how to use a computer as well as I do - I would have dropped them in a heartbeat and gone to nothing but online streaming for a price hike like this - I'm stuck paying her bill and this outrageous increase just pisses me off.

-DVR fee - what a load of crap - make me pay for hardware, make me pay to use the hardware? I dont think so... I own it - it works fine all by itself - there is no need to pay monthly fees for it... I have not - EVER paid a dvr fee to them - and I'm not about to start now.

I did not read 116 pages - but I can only hope that others are angered by this as well.

-Brian

I'm sure Dish would love to stick it to the networks but that can only happen if all their customers stand behind them. There are too many people such as yourself that will go nuts on forums like this because Dish dropped their favorite channel. As long as people keep demanding their favorite channels and continue to pay for them, things will never change.

Ala Carte is never going to happen, but the forced bundling needs to stop. Get rid of a bunch of channels and perhaps bring some real quality back to the channels that survive. Then viewers might see some perceived value from the money their paying each month.

The problem is the programming has become very fragmented. Most channels have so many marathons of crap, that if I do watch them, it is only for an hour a week.

Ala Carte is never going to happen, but the forced bundling needs to stop. Get rid of a bunch of channels and perhaps bring some real quality back to the channels that survive. Then viewers might see some perceived value from the money their paying each month.

The problem is the programming has become very fragmented. Most channels have so many marathons of crap, that if I do watch them, it is only for an hour a week.

I think a la carte will eventually happen, but probably not via cable or DBS at first. The internet is providing a lot more competition. A lot of young people I know do not bother anymore with cable/DBS. They just watch stuff on the internet, a lot of it just youtube series and such. They of course a small group now, but over the years the heavy cable watchers will die off, forcing a change. The most popular shows and networks will be new internet ones, the existing ones will have severe problems trying to compete with "free". Look at what Netflix and Amazon are doing developing its own content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)