DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Perhaps, but it's the subs who will pay, not Dish or Disney (both will get their money one way or another).

The new count is 10 will leave with the loss of ESPN. 13 will not care. 2 want a separate sports package so they don't have to pay for ESPN. If this sample has any validity, Dish is risking losing 40% of its viewership. That would be catastrophic.

A Dish spokesperson quote I saw said that one would go out of business without the other. Soooo let's hope they remember that. But I am leaning toward not putting up with years of ESPNU in SD when my alma mater's conference just signed a long term ESPN agreement.

Trade magazines/sites/etc. make big deals out of negotiations like this since sensationalizing them can help to sell their publications. Many would love nothing more than a big fight in the media like TWC had with CBS. Publishing speculative articles saying things might not be going well also helps spur readership...

The new count is 10 will leave with the loss of ESPN. 13 will not care. 2 want a separate sports package so they don't have to pay for ESPN. If this sample has any validity, Dish is risking losing 40% of its viewership. That would be catastrophic.

Add me to the total of leaving if Dish removes ESPN.

You do realize that any blackout of ABC/ESPN/DISNEY channels would be fairly short term and all the trouble you go through, changing receivers cancelling Dish, installing DirecTV, learning the new remotes, learning where the channels are on a different system would all be for naught.

If I cared I would probably ride it out.

I only watch ESPN maybe once a week and I could surely do without Austin and Alley or who ever they are on Disney.

Much of the "humor" on Disney channels is at the expense of the adults on the program, not a very good lesson to be pouring into little heads full of mush.

You do realize that any blackout of ABC/ESPN/DISNEY channels would be fairly short term and all the trouble you go through, changing receivers cancelling Dish, installing DirecTV, learning the new remotes, learning where the channels are on a different system would all be for naught.

If I cared I would probably ride it out.

I only watch ESPN maybe once a week and I could surely do without Austin and Alley or who ever they are on Disney.

Much of the "humor" on Disney channels is at the expense of the adults on the program, not a very good lesson to be pouring into little heads full of mush.

I just did that.....within 2 weeks I was comfortable with my new Genie system. Plus when I saw the significant improvement in pq and hundreds of dollars in savings over what I was paying Dish, it made all those inconvenience you named worth it.

The day Dish pulls ESPN, I'm gone. I don't care if they add it back a week later. I'm tired of them messing with my sports channels year after year.

I think most people here that could care less about sports just don't get it. College football is pure passion. We only so many weeks and it's always over quick. So I don't blame anyone for leaving.

My plan if it comes down to it is to suspend Dish and have TWC come out and hook me up. No contract so no big deal. That is worse case. I believe they will get a deal done though.

ESPN is showing 18 Iowa State basketball games this season and at least one football game. I will watch many, many other channels much more than I watch ESPN. It is NOT about the amount of time I watch the channel. The channels that I watch more have programs on them that I can easily get from other sources and am ok with watching at any time. With ESPN, I have SPECIFIC programs that I want to watch (namely Iowa State games) and I want to watch them LIVE and in HD. I am sure it is the same for other fans and their team. So market share is not the right argument in this case.

The day Dish pulls ESPN, I'm gone. I don't care if they add it back a week later. I'm tired of them messing with my sports channels year after year.

I mean this sincerely. Why not just get Direct TV? To this point it appears DISH is a little more willing to play hardball than Direct, though Direct not picking up the PAC 12 is significant.

Ugh, this is bad. If Dish drops ESPN and Disney my alternatives are DirecTv or Comcast. Comcast doesn't carry the Fox Sports channel and no Speed2.com access. Dish carries all the additional games that Fox carries and Comcast regionals. DirecTV doesn't have WatchESPN, not too bad, but also doesn't carry the Big 10 Network. Neither carry Epix either. This is a headache.

Leaving DISH for Direct

I have been a long time Dish Supporter and early Digital/HD adopter - spent lots of money.

I love my NASCAR and College football. SD on new tv sets is unacceptable.

In comparative tests picture quality (which I am fussy about) is much better with Direct.

I expect more for the $130/month I am paying.

So goodbye Charlie......

Doc

I think its possible you get more college games with Dish than Direct and I know you get more than Comcast. I don't know if they have Prime or Root or the other sports channels. Right now I am watching the Pac 12 Network and DirecTV doesn't carry the Big 12 network. The extra sports channels that DirecTV has are sports I don't watch like Tennis and Golf. And I pay $150/month and that is with like 5 packages at 50% off. So once those expire, I am paying a big chunk for Dish.

I wouldn't switch to any provider that demands a 24 month hitch on the off chance that a resolution wasn't drawn.

My local Comcast carries the local teams and DIRECTV doesn't.

As It is, I watch about 10 hours of the combined ESPN channel suite per year so I probably wouldn't get particularly bent about it if it did happen.

My Alma Mater is exclusively on ESPN. I do have Comcast internet so I do have ESPN3/Gameplan access but the rest of WatchESPN is locked. And I have NFL Rewind so I can watch MNF the next day. Same with games on the other ESPN channels, the games will show up later accessible on ESPN3. So I can watch the games, but not live. :mad:

I think its possible you get more college games with Dish than Direct and I know you get more than Comcast. I don't know if they have Prime or Root or the other sports channels. Right now I am watching the Pac 12 Network and DirecTV doesn't carry the Big 12 network. The extra sports channels that DirecTV has are sports I don't watch like Tennis and Golf. And I pay $150/month and that is with like 5 packages at 50% off. So once those expire, I am paying a big chunk for Dish.

You need to settle down, your getting confused and worried over hype of something that may not even happen.

You said above in another post that Directv doesn't have the Big Ten Network, however Directv does carry BTN (Big Ten Network) and then you said Directv doesn't carry Big 12 network, there isn't even a Big 12 Network.

You need to settle down, your getting confused and worried over hype of something that may not even happen.

You said above in another post that Directv doesn't have the Big Ten Network, however Directv does carry BTN (Big Ten Network) and then you said Directv doesn't carry Big 12 network, there isn't even a Big 12 Network.

Sorry, DirecTV doesn't carry the Pac 12 network. I was actually watching the Big 10 Network while looking at what each carries. I was watching Pac 12 games late last night.

http://seattletimes.com/html/collegesports/2021804211_directvfootball12xml.html

The last unofficial word I got from both sides is they believe a deal will be reached.

Of course until the deal is signed it's all subject to change.

But to me it is nice to see both being positive. And that makes my gut feel good. :)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts