Dish sling adapter and slingbox.com

llzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
St Louis
I can confirm that my sling adapter (the red one from dish) does work with slingbox.com. I do not have DVR or scheduling ability but I can watch TV anywhere. Now, is that what I want? No. I don't want to spend $30 for the sling app and I do want scheduling options both on desktop and dish app, so Dish please fix DOL so I can use it as it is intended for. In the mean time slinbox.com on my 27" mac looks brilliant.
Peace out and HOORAY FOR OUR VETERANS....GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!

llzel you can have my DO and I'll take your Slingbox.com. ;) Neither I nor my wife will ever watch a movie on a PC. Wrong tool for the job.

llzel said:
I can confirm that my sling adapter (the red one from dish) does work with slingbox.com. I do not have DVR or scheduling ability but I can watch TV anywhere. Now, is that what I want? No. I don't want to spend $30 for the sling app and I do want scheduling options both on desktop and dish app, so Dish please fix DOL so I can use it as it is intended for. In the mean time slinbox.com on my 27" mac looks brilliant.

Out of curiosity how r u able to use your SA through sling.com? I tried and it asks for a password for my receiver...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Out of curiosity how r u able to use your SA through sling.com? I tried and it asks for a password for my receiver...

It's actually rather trivial to get the password for your slingadapter.

Logon to the Dish Online site -> Select your receiver --> DVR --> My recordings

Now in your browser, click view --> source. Now search the resulting text file for 'password' and you'll find the finder ID and password for your sling adapter.

ThomasTrain said:

Now in your browser, click view --> source. Now search the resulting text file for 'password' and you'll find the finder ID and password for your sling adapter.

Thanks figured it out from some info in another thread. Works like a charm. Of courae DO works too ..nice to have an alternative....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Getting the password is as ThomasTrain explained. My issue is that on DOL my sling is listed as a slingbox and not sling adapter and that's why DOL or DRA won't work I need to figure out how to make it show as a sling adapter so I can use DRA or DOL.

llzel said:

If your a Dish Customer why are you paying $30.00 for the app? Dish has a free app for customers where you can schedule recordings, view your dvr, and watch live or recorded shows. Least for the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Getting the password is as ThomasTrain explained. My issue is that on DOL my sling is listed as a slingbox and not sling adapter and that's why DOL or DRA won't work I need to figure out how to make it show as a sling adapter so I can use DRA or DOL.

I have 2 722K's on which one recognizes the Sling adapter as as adapter and the other calls it a slingbox when it's connected. THe one that sees it as a slingbox will not work. Dish seems to think it's a firmware issue, but their only solution is to completely reset my DVR to factory which will delete all my TIMERS of which I don't want to have to re input.. I really wish Dish would come up with a working solution to fix this problem.. Kudu's to Mary at DIRT for trying to help me weeks ago.. But I need a solution that doesn't kill my TImers..

I have 2 722K's
Dish seems to think it's a firmware issue, but their only solution is to completely reset my DVR to factory which will delete all my TIMERS of which I don't want to have to re input..

If you have a 722k, then you have the learning remote as well. Press and Hold 0 to open the system wizard and backup all your timers to the remote. Then re-load the firmware to the 722k with the problem and use the system wizard to load your timers back onto the receiver.

problem solved.

llzel you can have my DO and I'll take your Slingbox.com. ;) Neither I nor my wife will ever watch a movie on a PC. Wrong tool for the job.

That's why I have a Slingbox Pro and a Sling Catcher. Too bad they don't make the Sling Catcher anymore. They gave some silly excuse about it not being needed due to smart TVs. Anyone seen a smart TV that can connect directly to a Slingbox?

Dish online shows my 722 with a slingbox (which I don't have) and not a sling adapter (which I do have). Anyone have an idea on how to make it show sling adapter? Yesterday I was able to view the 722 with my dish iphone app and today shows offline. What in the world is Dish doing?

When I try and use slingbox.com to watch my SA, I get an error message that says I need to use DRA. When I attempt to use the Slingplayer app on my PC, I get an error message stating that I need to install Windows Media encoders.

Also, sling.com just redirects to DO. So, I'm not sure how you guys are connecting to sling.com.

okay. I did what you listed and scanned and scanned and scanned for password. Approximately where in the labyrinth of codling might the password be located? Cuz I don't see it.

You don't need to visually scan. Just use your browser's "find" function, and search for "finder" and "password" to get that info.

However, for me, I can't connect to the SA with either slingbox.com (it says I need to use Dish Remote Access) or the slingplayer app (says I need Windows Media Player codec). And, sling.com just takes me to dishonline. So, I'm not sure how others are connecting to their SA's with anything other than DO and/or DRA.