DISH Sues Networks

I think this has more to do with PTAT. Think about, the cable providers showtime nbc etc get extra fees from comcast for their on demand service. That is why comcast runs ads to offset these fees. Even hulu has to pay the networks for the shows they stream the next day.

Dish on the other hand pays nothing to the networks for the ptat feature. The networks will contend that this is the same service as hulu thus they should get paid.

It is not like recording a program since folks do not record all of the networks at once just certain show.

I believe this at the heart of fox lawsuit aganist dish.
Agree, there are underlining issues for the lawsuit. Everone want to believe its just about the skipping of commercials. There is more to it then just that.
Networks see something and they don't like it!
Think about it, all 4 networks, who normally are rivals are teaming up . They see something, and we will soon find out.

What exactly is the difference between the 30 sec skip and the AutoHop, as far as advertising is concerned? Is this really that big of a jump? For the user it becomes easier, but I've never found the 30 sec skip to be problematic. So those that were already skipping commercials can do so with even more ease... but they were never watching the shows with commercials to begin with. They already use product placement in programs and syndicated shows have ads morphed into the actual programs now!
Far, far from unusual.
Yeah, it is one industry against another here.

When you word it that way yes. Not Unusual.

But when was the last time 4 major Networks took on a Major provider.

The networks (NAB) have done this many times over the years.Charlie has fought them several times and at least once or twice Dish and DTV were fighting together against the broadcasters.

tomcrown1 said:
I think this has more to do with PTAT. Think about, the cable providers showtime nbc etc get extra fees from comcast for their on demand service. That is why comcast runs ads to offset these fees. Even hulu has to pay the networks for the shows they stream the next day.

Dish on the other hand pays nothing to the networks for the ptat feature. The networks will contend that this is the same service as hulu thus they should get paid.

It is not like recording a program since folks do not record all of the networks at once just certain show.

I believe this at the heart of fox lawsuit aganist dish.

I would think they would be happy about PTAT. This allows more people who normally wouldn't watch their shows to see them. I have often watched PTAT shows when I have nothing I watch that I would have never recorded or watched otherwise. PTAT is bringing more viewers to their prime time shows.

I would think they would be happy about PTAT. This allows more people who normally wouldn't watch their shows to see them. I have often watched PTAT shows when I have nothing I watch that I would have never recorded or watched otherwise. PTAT is bringing more viewers to their prime time shows.
They don't care who watches the shows. They produce the shows to sell commercial time. They want you to watch the commercials, and if they could do it without the expense of producing entertainment (or what passes as entertainment these days), they would.

mdonnelly said:
They don't care who watches the shows. They produce the shows to sell commercial time. They want you to watch the commercials, and if they could do it without the expense of producing entertainment (or what passes as entertainment these days), they would.

But watching something on PTAT once might get you hooked enough to watch the next episode live. Of course they care who watches the shows. They also sell these popular shows on dvd as well as Netflix, amazon, iTunes and other outlets. On top of that the most watched channels get higher retransmission fees.

Saying they don't care if you watch the show is flat out stupid or at the very least an oversimplification.

That's besides the point. In placing it on Hulu for free, they are inherently undercutting the value of the programming to Multichannel providers.

1) it makes their argument that their content is worth $"X" per sub per month less tenable.
2) if subs can get the content free elsewhere, It becomes less valuable to Dish because they are no longer one of a few exclusive providers that offer that content as part of a larger pay tv package.
The consumers get the content for free along with the commercials Have you ever tried to skip a commercial on Hula?
Because consumers want it does not mean it is right. We could get consumers to want 56 cent gas and that would not fly, either. Shows you like now, would not appear without sponsor support OR subscription.

Barry have you even watched the crap on your network lately? if NBC keeps pumping out crap like they have they might have to start paying us to watch. :D

:confused: Who on this forum watches recorded shows and dosen't skip commercials??? The only time is when I can't reach the remote fast enough. They have only automated this precedure.

:confused: Who on this forum watches recorded shows and dosen't skip commercials??? The only time is when I can't reach the remote fast enough. They have only automated this precedure.
And even then, you the user, have to authorize it for it to function.

Actually other than to watch a football game and early morning local news in spring and fall so I know if I need to wear a coat or not I do not think I have actually watched or recorded anything on the broadcast networks in couple of years. If Dish had actual TWC local weather on the 8s and TWC actually showed weather all the time I could care less if DISH carried my locals. I watch most of the Green Bay games at one of the local bars anyway and could do with internet updates or NFL redzone for the rest of the games. I suppose this does not apply to most people but it might be interesting if someone started a poll on how much local TV people here watch each week and how much live with commercials.

Barry Erick said:
The consumers get the content for free along with the commercials Have you ever tried to skip a commercial on Hula?

Then why am I not getting the content free with commercials on Dish? Why is Dish (and therefore Dish subs) paying to retrans your free broadcast regardless of whether it's subs have a DVR or not? Or does the retrans fee breakdown DVR subs and non-DVR subs, with Dish only paying for the DVR ones?

Give me a break Barry, you guys are enjoying double dipping and don't want that to change. The reality is that most who time shift skip commercials anyway, fighting this feature isn't going to get those people to watch commercials. That's why live viewing is so coveted in your industry and why overnight ratings are king. If people aren't watching live, odds are commercials are being skipped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts