DVR 522 vs 510 Questions

F308gt4

Original poster
May 25, 2005
Satellite newbie here.

I recently signed up for SBC/Dish network satellite TV. I had rabbit ears before this, so I have absolutely no experiece with this stuff. I ordered the 60 channel option, with the DVR . For now, we have only 1 TV, but I will probably get another one in the next few months.

The installers came on Monday to install. I wasn't home for the installation, so my wife had to supervise. Since we only have one TV, the installer installed the DVR-510, with a single line from the satellite to the DVR. I noticed that the SBC website mentions the DVR-522 as the standard installation. I called SBC about it, and they are willing to come back on friday to swap out the DVR-510 with a DVR-522. But, I have a few questions:

Q: If I want to get a second TV and keep the DVR-510, I believe they will have to install another line and I'd also have to get another receiver (+ another $5 charge). Is this correct?

Q: If I ask them to swap out the DVR-510 for a DVR-522, then I should be able to upgrade to a second TV without another reciever (assuming a second line is added)?

Q: In the meantime, with only 1 TV and a DVR-522, they should be able to install 2 lines from the satellite into the DVR, which would allow me to watch one program while recording another? Is this correct?

Q: If I get the DVR-522, I need to have it hooked up to a phone line to avoid a $5 monthly charge. Therefore, I believe my monthly charges should be:
$31/month for Sat, +$5/month for the DVR, and no additional charges if it is hooked up to the phone line. These charges should be the same regardless of whether I have it hooked up to 1 tv or 2 tv's. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. I think I am starting to understand this stuff, but it is all still new to me.

A quick followup question:

Ideally, when they come back, they should install 3 lines from the satellite. 2 lines that feed into the DVR-522, and the third line into our bedroom for a potential 2nd TV. Or, is there something I am missing here?

With a 522, you'll have two coax cables from the dish to the receiver. Assuming the receiver is close to your main TV, the connection will probably be an RCA cable (3-line cable with the red, white & yellow plugs at each end) between the 522 & tv, then a coax cable from the 522 to where ever the 2nd tv is/will be placed.

With the 522, you'll get 2 remotes. The 2d remote is for use with viewing on the 2nd tv. It's UHF, meaning you can control the 522's tuner for that tv from anywhere in the house.

Here's a short list of the 522's capabilities:

Record two live programs at the same time
Record a live program while watching another live program
Record two live programs while watching another pre-recorded program

To get a head start, go to the DishNetwork website main page, click on the Products box, then, click on User Guides & Manuals, then select the 522.

The 522 manual is broken down into a bunch of pdf files. You only need to download Chapter 1, Chapter 2 and Chapter 3. Reading through those should give you a good idea of what all can be done with the 522.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you getting the 625? (basically the same as the 522 only newer & a couple more features) If you/ve never subscribed to DishNetwork, I think they're still running a promo for the 625 plus a bigger programming package than you ordered, for about $20 a month for 3 months. Only 1st time subscribers are eligible.

Thanks Mrschwarz and Tom for your replies.

Tom: I appreciate your info. I will be there on Friday when they install the system and make sure it is done correctly. Regarding the 625- It doesn't appear to be an option when you order the SBC/Dish network package.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)