FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

Team Summit is only a few weeks away. :)

I will be there as will a few other folks reporting for SatelliteGuys. (Like we did last year) This way if they give me the boot the news will keep on coming.

Last year the booted me so I sat and home and posted EVERY announcement here on SatelliteGuys before it was announced at Team Summit.

I actually sat down with Charlie and discussed this with him and he agreed that keeping me out was a bad thing to do, at least if I were there I would need to wait to get back to my hotel room to post anything. :)

Charlie knows that I will never post sensitive dealer information here, and he respects that. I only pass along info which you could get from your local retailer (if the retailer paid attention anyways) :D

I have told this story before but I will tell it again about my first time meeting Charlie. I was at this special Summit Event they held in Baltimore and they were going to be introducing the SuperDISH.

I had a bunch of dealers standing around me as I was telling them all about the SuperDISH and what it was going to be used for, there must have been 20 of them gathered around me listening to me talk, when I felt a strange presense breathing on me over my shoulder. I turned around and looks and it was Charlie himself who said - "don't mind me, keep talking, I usually find out stuff about my own company from you before I even hear it from my own employees"

How I wish I had that on tape. :)

What funny is Dish Network logged in about an hour ago, and what thread do you think they have been watching the most? This one. :) Welcome Dish Guys, thank you for the exciting information! I look forward in testing out all the new equipment!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think ultimately that will be answered at Team Summit. :)

I hope their use of the + dishes will be explained. I am dying to give Dish some of my money for a 622 but I want to upgrade my dish at the same time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok the Dish 1000 is 23.5"w x 18.5H
The new Dish 1000.2 is bigger at 25.9"w x 20.7"H

So the Dish 1000+ is the same size as the Dish 1000.2 above. Right? And it will fit on a current Dish 1000 mast, so long as there is no building clearance issue. Right?

Last edited:
I hope that Dish decides to go all the way with this dish and move all the HD national stuff to 118.7. 129 could be for non NE markets LiL HD. They could put the major NE market LiL on 118.7 to have single dish solution.

I know it might upset some to have to upgrade their dish yet again. But, Dish really needs a single dish solution for the top 50 markets at least. Some HD LiL on EX spots, some on 129 and some on 118.7. When they get their spot beam satellite at 129 they can move a lot more of the smaller markets to a single dish.

Once again Dish has the opportunity to rearrange stuff and get the job done before they get too many stranded customers (you only have been able to get 129 Dish now for about 6 months or so). Being able to have a single dish to compete with DIRECTV is critical, I hope they make the investment needed to get it done right!

psumattDE said:
Oh, if they launch new national HD's on there and I have to get a new dish after only 2 months - I will be ALL kinds of jacked up.

Hopefully that is only speculation Scott! :D

Why wouldn't they do it? It worked so well a few months ago that they couldn't keep up with 622 & 211 orders & installs.

Remember, you're dealing with a company that, when they have the advantage, likes to step over their customer's "ouch line" as far as they think they can get away with, pause for a few seconds and then step a little further.:D

So how does the size compare to the superdish? I sold off my superdish and got a dish 1000 - now that looks like a stupid move.

I would assume the Dish 1000+ is smaller than the original superdish, but larger than the original 1000?

mike123abc said:
I hope that Dish decides to go all the way with this dish and move all the HD national stuff to 118.7. 129 could be for non NE markets LiL HD. They could put the major NE market LiL on 118.7 to have single dish solution.

I know it might upset some to have to upgrade their dish yet again. But, Dish really needs a single dish solution for the top 50 markets at least. Some HD LiL on EX spots, some on 129 and some on 118.7. When they get their spot beam satellite at 129 they can move a lot more of the smaller markets to a single dish.

Once again Dish has the opportunity to rearrange stuff and get the job done before they get too many stranded customers (you only have been able to get 129 Dish now for about 6 months or so). Being able to have a single dish to compete with DIRECTV is critical, I hope they make the investment needed to get it done right!

Agreed. Get all the national HD on the core (110, 118, 119) slots and major market HD Lil. And who knows if those Ka TWTA's on AMC16 can be useful or not for HD LiL distribution (they are only 75 watt). Is E* able to use the Ka payload at 118.75?

masterdeals said:
So how does the size compare to the superdish? I sold off my superdish and got a dish 1000 - now that looks like a stupid move.

I would assume the Dish 1000+ is smaller than the original superdish, but larger than the original 1000?

The specs I have, have the sizes listed for all the Dishes EXCEPT the new Dish+ Dishes. So I am not sure of their exact size.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The specs I have, have the sizes listed for all the Dishes EXCEPT the new Dish+ Dishes. So I am not sure of their exact size.

So apparently the Dish1000.2 is really just larger version in order to address all of our complaints about signal strength. That said, I would think E* would be sure to make the Dish1000+ large enough not to have the signal strength issues.

"Note that on a Dish 500+ you can use a DP34 or DPP44 (DishPro Plus) switch. On a Dish 1000+ setup you MUST use it in conjunction with a DishPro Plus 44 Switch."

Why on the Dish 1000+ you MUST have a DPP 44 switch? The only difference between the D500+ and the D1000+ is the bracket and a DP Dual for 129. If you can feed a DP34 with the new LNB for 119 and 118.7 and a DP Dual for 110, why can't you just add a third satellite location on a DP34?

All I can think of is power requirements for the new LNB. The DPP44 has a power inserter and the DP34 doesn't.

RandallA said:
"Note that on a Dish 500+ you can use a DP34 or DPP44 (DishPro Plus) switch. On a Dish 1000+ setup you MUST use it in conjunction with a DishPro Plus 44 Switch."

Why on the Dish 1000+ you MUST have a DPP 44 switch? The only difference between the D500+ and the D1000+ is the bracket and a DP Dual for 129. If you can feed a DP34 with the new LNB for 119 and 118.7 and a DP Dual for 110, why can't you just add a third satellite location on a DP34?

All I can think of is power requirements for the new LNB. The DPP44 has a power inserter and the DP34 doesn't.

But some people claim they can get a DPP44 to work without the power inserter ?!?!
Your theory would make sense. @ 118/119 + 110 is fine on a DP34 powered from a DP receiver, but when you add the 3rd LNB for 129 (or 61.5) it's too much for a DP receiver to power.

For a single receiver, maybe. But if you have at least 2+ DP receivers connected to the DP34, I don't see why that won't be enough juice. Just speculating but we'll find out for sure when all the Mad Scientists on the forum begin testing different configurations.

In my idea, id move all national HD on 129 and 61.5 to 118, it saves satellite space which can (and will mostlikely) be used for HD LIL, its just more cost-effective then uplinking duplicate programming to two different orbital locations, which takes up precious space!

Scott, can you convert an existing dish 1000 to a dish 1000+ by swaping out the w bracket for the new lnbf assembaly? Thus creating a dish 1000 + ? and will it work??? or do I need a completely new dish??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts