FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

Okay, dumb question. If you get the 500+ will you need two feeds between the dish and the DPP44 switch or will you need three feeds? Reason is that I currently have three feeds going to my 500 and 61.5 dishes. My setup is on top of a hill 75 feet from my house. I will need to bury more feeds if I am going to need them.

I would like to know that too. Am I going to need to eliminate the seperators and go back to having two runs for each receiver again? I really like to keep using the seperators since I am using the extra cables to run the out put to different tvs . Also I have no knowledge of how the switch dpp 44 works or how to install it myself.

Scott:

Since you said JoeSp would need three on a Dish 500+, I would assume that would mean that a Dish 1000+ would take ALL FOUR inputs. One for 119, one for 118, one for 110, and the last for 129. Is this correct? I'm still trying to figure this out and didn't see an answer to that.

I know you can use a DP21 to add a fifth satellite, but that requires a dp21 for each receiver tuner.... and a dish 300 or dish 500 would only give me two outputs if I pointed it to 61.5....

If the 1000+ takes all four inputs itsself, then how do I connect two 721's, one 311, and a 622 to a dish 1000+ and 61.5 (for 61.5/110/118/119/129) I have DP44 now to use.. what else would I need...

THats correct a Dish 1000 will need all for inputs on the DPP44 switch.

Mike if you hooked up your Dish Plus Dish to a DPP44 switch you could still keep the signle line runs and use the DishPro Seperator.

Depending on what E* decides to put on 118.7, I'd go for the D1000.2 first just to get a decent signal on 129. If they put some good HD stuff on 118.7, then I'd go for the D1000+ and get all 4 sats.

As it sits now, I'm eager to hear what news comes out of the Team Summit on 118.7 programming potentials and what the pricing on these dishes will be. Once I have that info, I'll be in a much better position to make my decision.

Thanks for the info, Scott! I appreciate it! :)

DAG GUMMITT!!!! Now I gotta run another trench and bury more cable!!!:mad:

Boy am I glad I ran extra cables through my pipe running through the ground. I figured they would come in handy someday but I did not think they would come in handy this soon.

When you realllly think about it (mind you its just a theory), its perfect, dish could throw all HD on the new bird (so voom etc, arent mirrored on 2 sats) + move espn etc from 110, have all HD on one sat, and use 129 and 61.5 for hd lil, freeing up enough space for 15-20 more hd chans on each bird (currently, figuring taking off the voom, discovery etc)

Though it wouldnt happen for quite a while, would need to migrate all customers etc, if they started installin the new dishes now, in 24 months (at most), they can cut everyone off "call dish for a free upgrade, just give us your soul", and all HD will be on one satellite, which is viewable from near everywhere (though it is lower in power)

Just a crazy theory

So this is what we need to look for now:

1. Will they actually produce the DPP44 for all these new setups, they were in short supply just a while ago with the dish1000 release.

2. What will they put on this new satellite??? The $64k question...

Scott - Thanks again for up to the minute information, well before anywhere else. Great job!

So it sounds like the option for most people trying to get 110/119, 129, and a wing will be the 1000.2 with DPP equipment - "connects directly to up to 3 single tuner or DP Plus (dual tuner) receivers when used with DP Plus separators".

To people like me only using a single 622 this is a better option than requiring an expensive switch.

I'm glad I didn't go through the hassle of a 1000 install when I moved to the 622. It sounds like I'll be needing the upgrade for 118.7 sometime anyway!

Whoops: re-reading Scott's post the 1000.2 doesn't appear to see 118.7... so I guess a switch is necessary to get all the satellite locations after all. My bad!

CDH.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I just shot over an email to Mark Jackson at Echostar asking for an answer for this question. I have been getting fed the lines about 118.7 and 119 being stacked together so I didn't even think about it when I transcribed the notes.

Also I am updating the first post with a bunch of new info on the LNB's themselves.

Thank you Scott for clarifying that. So the original statement about needing a DPP44 for the Dish 1000+ stands and you can't use a DP34 for it.

I just hope they move all the HD content out of 129 and put it on 118.7.

I third that. 118.7 would be a great slot to put national HD at. Everyone that can pickup 119 should be able to pickup 118.7. The question is, how much space is going to be at 118.7? Enough to put half of the national HD channels? The rest of them can go to 119 as SD gets phased out.

So we are looking at three new solutions for a total of five (excluding SuperDish and Dish 300) ...

((Dish 500 --> 110, 119))

Dish500+ --> 110, 118, 119

((Dish 1000 --> 110, 119, 129))

Dish 1000+ --> 110, 118, 119, 129

Dish 1000.2 --> 110, 119, 129, XXX - Built in switch feeds three receivers (single or dual tuner) with a fourth input for an additional slot - this dish probably made as a solution that wants the additional slot other than 118 such as 61.5, 105, 121, 148. I am guessing that it is named the Dish 1000.2 as the 2 stands for a second dish option for the additional slot or the second version of the Dish 1000

QUESTIONS:

Will the Dish 1000.2 replace the current Dish 1000 that we have now?

Why wouldn't Dish Network make the Dish 1000 the standard reflector? Why make so many different types of dishes? Wouldn't it make so much more sense to use one common reflector in which you can make more of reducing the cost for manufacturing and be able to talor each customer's needs by changing the lnbf/arm/switch setup? That would sure make it much simpler and cheaper on everybody.

If Dish Network plans on keeping the Dish 500 around why not make the Dish 500+ the standard to reduce the manufacturing costs since its going to be an inch larger?

Last edited:
The Dish 1000.2 looks pretty cool. The built-in switch for 4 slots and 3 receivers could meet the need of many people (without an external switch).

BUT, what's the point if it doesn't get 118? If 118 gets any national HD everyone will need a D1000+. Only way it makes sense for the Dish 1000.2 to exist is if 118 will only been needed for specific (local) markets.

Also, Dish rarely moves programming from one Dish to another (unless it's 110/119). They just don't like have to move peoples dishs for free. The like to ADD programming to new slots forcing people to pay to upgrade only IF they want the new programming.

So, if they put local HD on 118 and 61.5, then people get a D1000+ or D1000.2/Wing depending on the market.

And, who would ever want a Dish500+ -> hard to imagine the point of that puppy. All these dish's and slot are really looking like a mess.

David_Levin said:
And, who would ever want a Dish500+ -> hard to imagine the point of that puppy. All these dish's and slot are really looking like a mess.

Dish 500+ would work if all national HD was on 118 and your LiL HD was on a spot beam on 110/119 where some markets are starting to appear.

This brings up E11 with its steerable spots... It could first go to 129 and hang out there for 18 or so months until the new spot beam satellite launches to 129 then it could go to 119 to replace E7 and do more spots at 119 than E7 could handle. This would allow them to put more and more HD LiL on spot beams.

Also for the NE and other areas that could not see 129, the LiL HD could go on 118. If 1/2 the satellite went to LiL HD (probably about 12 markets) they could serve 50+ national HD on 118. If E11 ends up at 119 it could then move the 118 LiL HD to spots giving them more room for national HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)