FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

Dish Network will have the Dish 1000.2 dish for those that do not need 118 but needs a different slot in addition to the 110, 119, 129 instead. They pretty well have any type of dish configuration figured out with this new lineup of dishes. It would be great to see some SuperDish lnbf upgrade kits as well. They could use the SuperDishes for the areas that have a harder time getting a signal and to receive additional slots that may be provided in the future.

I have 110 and 119 on separate dishes due to LOS issues. Any speculation as to whether they will create another LNB that only gets 119/118? If not, I guess I am just going to break that bracket off with the 110 LNB.

So for clarification. I would need my DPP44 switch and an sw21 switch to get the 110, 118, 119, 129, and 61.5? Currently have 501, 411, 622, but going to change out the 501 for another 622 when the new mits come out. I really don't want to give up my 61.5.

Stargazer said:
I third that. 118.7 would be a great slot to put national HD at. Everyone that can pickup 119 should be able to pickup 118.7. The question is, how much space is going to be at 118.7? Enough to put half of the national HD channels? The rest of them can go to 119 as SD gets phased out.

Umm, AMC16 has 24 Ku FSS transponders. All the national HD can go there with LOTS and LOTS of room for even more channels! Hell, at 2 channels per TP, thats 48 (dont you love my math skillz?). And the transponders are 36Mhz each, so if they run them at Turbo 8PSK, they can get about 50Mbit out of each of them I believe.

There will be a LOT more than 48 channels needed for national HD. I thought they could fit more than 2 HD channels per TP with the MPEG-4 and turbo 8PSK. Maybe they can get 3 HD channels per TP at that point and with future compression improvement get 4-5 HD channels per TP. Isn't that about how many SD stations per TP we were seeing on the satellites about 10 years ago?

The Dish500+ is not going to be SuperDish sized. Maybe an inch or two larger.

We are now moving this thread out of the Pub Members Forum to the main Dish Network forum for all SatelliteGuys members to enjoy!

Thank you to all of us who supported us this weekend by becoming new pub members! We hope you are enjoying all the benefits that you get as a pub member! Thank you again for your support and for helping us keep the lights on. :)

We were very proud to give our supporters a first look at these exciting new products, and now are happy to make this ground breaking information available to all of our members.

Stargazer said:
There will be a LOT more than 48 channels needed for national HD. I thought they could fit more than 2 HD channels per TP with the MPEG-4 and turbo 8PSK. Maybe they can get 3 HD channels per TP at that point and with future compression improvement get 4-5 HD channels per TP. Isn't that about how many SD stations per TP we were seeing on the satellites about 10 years ago?

The Dish500+ is not going to be SuperDish sized. Maybe an inch or two larger.

The Dish 500+ will be an inch bigger then the current Dish 1000, not the current Dish 500.

Kirby Baker said:
Umm, AMC16 has 24 Ku FSS transponders. All the national HD can go there with LOTS and LOTS of room for even more channels! Hell, at 2 channels per TP, thats 48 (dont you love my math skillz?). And the transponders are 36Mhz each, so if they run them at Turbo 8PSK, they can get about 50Mbit out of each of them I believe.
I'm believe too ;) http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=561755&postcount=89

I sure hope, they gonna make this kinda decent...don't forget, not ALL of the 3 million HD subscribers are as inclined to all this tech stuff with new dishes and moving satellites and moving prgramming between satellites and stuff. The average HD subscriber pays a bunch of money for the service, especially the people that upgraded to HD. They just sitting at home on the couch and watch HD programming, and all of the sudden it may be gone. They will call dish and ask what's going on. And then they're gonna be told "Hey your new dish we installed you a few months back is not gonna cut it anymore. You gonna have to have a new one installed and it's gonna cost ya!" Boy, I don't wanna know how many of them are gonna be SO pissed! They will throw a fit! The guys here are mostly geeks and enthusiasts, so am I. But if I wind up to have to get a new dish, because my HD prgramming that I am paying for will not be visible anymore, because my 3 month old Dish 1000 ain't gonna cut it anymore, they better get me one installed for a reasonable fee. But WAIT! I forgot I upgraded, and there's nothing I can threaten them with, because I have the 18 month commitment! What am I gonna do about it??? NOTHING! As I know my luck, there will be a $199 upgrade fee for a new dish, just to get the HD programming back on the screen where it was before. And if I can't shell that money out, I'll be out of HD programming, even if I pay for it, because remember...I UPGRADED! And I need to stay subscribed to the package, because if not, I'll have to send the 622 back as well, and the $299 for it are down the drain too! I know all this new HD stuff costs the providers money. But it is NONE of my business how to keep the existing programming running as subscriber. I DON'T care! I just wanna keep watching what I'm already paying for. I REALLY hope it will not come to that....:(

psumattDE said:
Oh, if they launch new national HD's on there and I have to get a new dish after only 2 months - I will be ALL kinds of jacked up.

Hopefully that is only speculation Scott! :D

My 622 gets installed tomorrow, new install of E*, and a Dish1000 dish. If I have to pay an upgrade to a new dish a month or so later, I'm going to be a little bit upset.

Would E* really, after this short of a timeframe, require HD subs to get yet another new piece of equipment?

From the designs of the dishes, it seems like they are trying to keep the price down on the hardware for their sake and the customer's sake. They will probably retail for around $100-150. Surely these dishes do not cost nearly as much as a SuperDish seeing how these dishes are smaller. A DPP-44 switch would increase the price a bit if it were to be included with one of the dishes. That might make it as high as $150-200. I wonder if we can expect a price cut on the current Dish1000 after these other dishes are released. Probably not since they would reduce it down to what a Dish500 is and the retailers would all purchase the Dish1000 and keep the 129 dual lnbf since it would not be needed.

Jeff_R said:
Would E* really, after this short of a timeframe, require HD subs to get yet another new piece of equipment?
It's hard to say, one of the issues is if you have a Dish 1000+ its not easy to hook up a wing dish (ala 61.5) to your setup as a Dish 1000+ needs a DPP44 switch.

However if you can get a Dish 1000+ there should be no reason you need to see the wings uinless you want SkyAngel (which is a big deal) or if you want internationals.

There are a few unanswered questions thats for sure. :)

Stargazer said:

Are you talking about national HD available now, or in a few years? I was talking about right now, to which there are much less than 48 national HD channels available. My last count was around 35-37, and thats stretching it, counting channels that I dont believe are doing a lot of HD, for example: NBA TV, NFL channel, OLN HD (thats sure to piss off all 659 hockey fans).

If you are tlaking about in the future, as channels migrate to HD, and MPEG4 compression (real time encoding) becomes better, you will need more space, but at the same time, you are going to probably be gaining space from SD channel removals, and hopefully better bandwidth usage on existing locations (like getting other FSS slots next to DBS slots much like 118.75/119, or moving SD to MPEPG4 or who knows). The real question is, how soon do we need room for 50 HD national channels? How about 100? I just think its a ways off before we will need that kkind of capacity, especially for 100 HD national channels.

Smith said:

I knew I read it somewhere ;) Of course I'm also curious to know if 16QAM is viable for Dish to use. If they could use that, and didnt someone confirm in the weekly uplink thread that all Dish broadcom chips support it, 16QAM 3/4 FEC on these FSS transponders would yield just under 74Mbit! That alone at a full 19mbit per channel could yield upwards of 90 HD channels!

Not too long ago I purchased a 622 and now receive programming from three satellite locations (110/119/61.5) using a Dish 500 w/DP Dual, Dish 500 w/DP Twin, and two DP-34 switches. Although I'm paying for DishHD, like many of us I can only watch all my paid programming on one of my HDTVs (the 622).

Assuming E* moves some of the HD nationals over to the 118 slot, it looks as though I will have to install a Dish 500+ and DPP-44 switch in order to once again watch my paid programming on 1/3rd of my HDTVs? I guess my only alternatives would be to:

• Do nothing and not be able to watch all of my paid programming.
  • Commit to 18-months of DishHD service in order to get the Dish 500+ installed.
  • Cancel service and have my wife subscribe (free install, low cost MPEG-4 receiver upgrade, etc.)

Adding 118 to the mix is a good idea, just piss poor timing...especially for those who have already upgraded hardware.

Don't expect any 8PSK on AMC-16. QPSK and Turbo-Coded FEC QPSK, both at SR 26000.

BTW: A&E and History channels are beginning tests of HD at 125w. They seem to be going the stretched 4X3 route, much the same as TNTHD.

Last edited:
JohnH said:
Don't expect any 8PSK on AMC-16. QPSK and Turbo-Coded FEC QPSK, both at SR 26000.

BTW: A&E and History channels are beginning tests of HD at 125w. They seem to be going the stretched 4X3 route, much the same as TNTHD.

That what you see in NIT, right ? Then it look similar to 105W (AMC-15), perhaps one family :).
John, are you sure "A&E and History channels are beginning tests of HD at 125w", ie Galaxy 14 ? My BUD still inoperable - I can't check it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts