FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

3 weeks ago I paid about $500 to upgrade from a 942 to a 622 and a dish 1000. (I'm still waiting on my $200 rebate) Both my dealer and dish assured me that I would need no more upgrades to receive any new national HD channels for the "foreseeable future." IF I end up having to upgrade to receive some new national channel that comes out in, say, 3 months, dish will have a new ex-customer. (Let me re-phrase: if I have to PAY to upgrade within the next few months to receive any new national HD channel, dish will be removed from my home).

I've only been a dish customer since August '05 and in that time I've paid for two installations at $450 and $500 (-$200 maybe) (both leased equipment, not bought), and spent about $1000 on programming. I'll admit, the upgrade was at my request. But I would receive no new HD channels without the upgrade. And now you are speculating that new national channels will possibly require a new dish? It will end there for me.

Forgive me. I know you're just the messenger.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.

Michael you will NOT need a new Dish.

The Dish 500+ and 1000+ will only be needed in certain areas and for some internationals. Please look for the 118.7 information thread in this forum for more details. :D

JohnH said:
With the FCC you don't do it until you have a license. They want to have their say first, since they are the authority.

FCC only licenses the satellite and location. They don't license what lnbs you put on your Dish. You could put a lnb for 20 satellites on a 20 degree arc (if it was technically possible) and the FCC would not care.

They only care if something is emitting a signal from an orbital location - not what receive lnb is on a dish pointed at a specific satellite.

HDTVFanAtic said:
FCC only licenses the satellite and location. They don't license what lnbs you put on your Dish. You could put a lnb for 20 satellites on a 20 degree arc (if it was technically possible) and the FCC would not care.

They only care if something is emitting a signal from an orbital location - not what receive lnb is on a dish pointed at a specific satellite.
The dish that EchoStar supplies is under FCC Permit. They applied for permission to use 1 million dishes as a starter.

That is not to be confused with any dish you might come up with yourself for home reception. It's the commercial verses personal thingy.

Dish Network should make it to where you can use the same skew plate and just replace the reflector or lnbf kit for additional upgrades in the future. That will save some money on shipping costs as there would be no large reflector that would have to be shipped and make the installation easier.

I think it is only about an inch bigger than the present dish but the mast is longer. I think the mast is the arm that holds the lnbs. I think that means the mast makes the lnb look at the dish further away -kind of like making it a bigger dish and getting a stronger signal. But I don't really know if that is the case, but it makes sense to make the signal stronger on the 129 sat right? Why else would they need another dish 1000 if the only difference is the name; 1000.02? OF course from what I read the lnb will allow for a fourth lnb to be hooked into it using just the 3 lnb assembly. It must be like a dish pro plus twin except it works with all 3 sats and allows for a fourth lnb .

Maybe someone else could tell me for sure. Scott do you know?

All of the lnbf's are all built in instead of using a DPP twin and a DP single and hooking the wire over from the Dp single to the DPP twin. You would be connecting an additional dish onto the DDP triplet instead.

Cool that makes it much simplier for a one dish solution for customers who only need the 3 sats: 110/119/129. A dishpro plus triplet lnb but you can hook up another dish to it. So if you wanted sky angel on 61.5 you would be all set with the dish 1000.2 and a side sat dish to 61.5 , and you would need no extra multi-switch since it is all built in. I thought that was what I read.

with a redesign of the LNBF, could the new 1000+ be configured to receive 110, 118, 119, 121 and 128?

if they can get 118 and 119 into one unit, could they jam 118, 119 and 121 together? or redesign a bit to make 121 and 128 work together. 118&119 would need to be smaller, I think

Why could they not make the Dish500+ and Dish1000+ like the Dish1000.2 is? Surely they could have built the switch into the 118/119 lnbf and had a jumper run from that to the 110 lnbf like the current Dish1000 is. They could have made the Dish1000+ to where it would be like a Dish1000.2 and have that fourth input be used with 118. That would have been a great solution. Why could they not have done this? This would have also resulted in one less dish that they would have had to come out with. They could have have just made it to where you could put a different lnbf on the Dish1000+ that is on the Dish1000.2

You mean make one standard dish and only change the lnbs to fit the lnb you need. It would make a whole lot of sense and that is probably why they didn't do it. Dish has a long history of doing things the hard way .

Having a dish 300, 500, dish 500+, dish 1000, dish 1000+ and now a dish1000.02 ,105 superdish, 121 superdish is a little ridiculous. ONe standard dish should be sufficient and the lnbs should be the only thing they change out. I am sure the installers have a field day with all the confusing installation choices.

Last edited:
ralfyguy said:
Wonder how much gain the 1000.2 has in signal strength vs. the old 1000. Wonder if it's even worth it to replace the old.
Rough calculation of surface area indicates the 1000.2 is about 23% larger than the 1000. With similar LNB's you get 23% more signal; 50 becomes 61.5; 60 becomes 73.8.

The simple way of doing it is to make the skew plate the same on all dishes going forward and make different reflector sizes, different lnbf's for different setups, and perhaps different lnbf arms if needed. They would then have different model numbers for the different lnbf arms, dishes, lnbf's, etc. Instead they want to make different model dishes instead of each item different seperately and not make them work together as well.

Scott, You can not make the assumption that someone will not need the a new dish. My HD-LIL are going up on 118.7. There are five HD-LIL cities going up on 118.5. How will those subscribers in those five cities get their HD-LIL without a dish upgrade? And should we pay right after upgrading to a MPEG4 receiver? This stuff really is getting under my skin!

He was saying that certain person would not need it since his HD-LIL is not going there. Those cities in which are going to have their HD-LIL there and wants the locals in HD will need the dish.

JoeSp said:
Scott, You can not make the assumption that someone will not need the a new dish. My HD-LIL are going up on 118.7. There are five HD-LIL cities going up on 118.5. How will those subscribers in those five cities get their HD-LIL without a dish upgrade? And should we pay right after upgrading to a MPEG4 receiver? This stuff really is getting under my skin!

I'm sure that for LIL cities, if you want to get your HD locals, they will provide the dish at no cost somehow. They know that local channels have been huge for them, and are a deciding factor for many people. They provided the 1348/61.5 dish for SD-LIL at no cost when they had to place lesser local channels on the wing positions. This shouldn't be any different.

Of course, as HD customers, we have big fat wallets just waiting to give Dish more money for more channels.... or so they seem to think.