FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

Just a FYI..I have the OTA tuner and a Sling adapter plugged into a non-powered $8.00 hub and both units work fine. I believe only heavy power draw units (external drives) require a powered hub.

Does not prove it is the correct name. But it does explain why so many are calling it that.
The manual calls it a USB Tuner and no where in the manual does it refer to it as a dongle.

image-751344165.jpg

image-1431804797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Just a FYI..I have the OTA tuner and a Sling adapter plugged into a non-powered $8.00 hub and both units work fine. I believe only heavy power draw units (external drives) require a powered hub.

I got a cheap non-powered hub coming in, plan on hooking 2-3 self-powered EHDs to it as well as the Sling Adapter. Then I will hook the OTA unit to the other port on the back of the Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

With 3 EHDs whish there was a way to name them. Instead they are External Device 1,2 and 3
I would call mine, Movies, TVShows, Sports

Have you checked the signal strength for all OTA channels? Made sure none of them are dropping? Tried moving the antenna?

Just checked and all my ota channels are black again. So far it's every other day.

It is happening multiple times to me on Sundays when football is on. It might happen once on every other day of the week. I do a lot of channel hopping on Sundays, so that has to be why. I have figured out a pretty decent way to stop it that worked for me. I tuned one of my Joeys to an OTA channel and left it there and it didn't drop the OTA signal the rest of the day. I got a black screen and had to rescan three times before that. It is a pain to join the viewing session and then change the channel, but it is better than nothing. My signals are reading a perfect 100 because I live three miles from the towers. I never get any odd pixellation or macroblocking when watching, so it could just be the way this software and tuner work together to handle and reject multipath that causes the issue.

Not sure if this has already been addressed in this thread, but 99 pages would be A LOT to comb through!

I have the Hopper now, and should be receiving the OTA module by the end of today (if UPS doesn't mess up delivery, like they already have!) When I had the ViP 722, with built-in OTA capability, I noticed that shows that I would record OTA would be a bit larger than the same shows that were recorded using the satellite tuners (larger meaning that they would take up more hard drive space).

Has anyone noticed if the same is occurring with the new USB OTA module for the Hopper?

Any input on this is appreciated...thanks!!

It's going to be the same situation regarding hard drive space. OTA signals are transmitted as MPEG2 compression, which is less efficient than the MPEG4 compression used by Dish. The signal (and bandwidth) is the determining factor in hard drive space used, not the tuner itself.

Last edited:
It will be the same on the Hopper since your OTA digital channels are in MPEG2 format which is larger then the MPEG4 stream you get from DISH.

But with 2 TB of space on the Hopper its not really anything to worry about. :D

Not sure if this has already been addressed in this thread, but 99 pages would be A LOT to comb through!

I have the Hopper now, and should be receiving the OTA module by the end of today (if UPS doesn't mess up delivery, like they already have!) When I had the ViP 722, with built-in OTA capability, I noticed that shows that I would record OTA would be a bit larger than the same shows that were recorded using the satellite tuners (larger meaning that they would take up more hard drive space).

Has anyone noticed if the same is occurring with the new USB OTA module for the Hopper?

Any input on this is appreciated...thanks!!

The OTA file would be larger than the satellite version do to the fact that the signal is not compressed as much as the satellite signal .

It will be the same on the Hopper since your OTA digital channels are in MPEG2 format which is larger then the MPEG4 stream you get from DISH.

But with 2 TB of space on the Hopper its not really anything to worry about. :D

I always wondered about that...why the OTA took up more hard drive space...good to know! And you're right, with a 2 TB drive, shouldn't be an issue. That leads me to a related question: of the 2 TB drive, how much of it is reserved for user recordings? And how many HD hours (roughly) does that translate into?

Thanks!

Sorry, I just dropped in and found out about this OTA module.

I have a slingbox plugged into the rear USB port of my Hopper.
Is there any reason this OTA module can not be plugged into either the front or second rear USB plug on the Hopper?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts