FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

So if i get an ota tuner... all i have to do is plug the usb port into the hopper??? and then scan for channels??? no other wires or hardware???

Thanks in advance

ashutto20 said:
So if i get an ota tuner... all i have to do is plug the usb port into the hopper??? and then scan for channels??? no other wires or hardware???

Thanks in advance

You'll need an antenna, of course.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

the tv that my in-laws used before i moved in and got dish was a regular tv with ota hooked up to a digital box...all i need to do is unplug the cable from that box and plug it into the dish ota tuner correct???

I ordered mine at noon and I already have a shipment email with a tracking number! I wasn't expecting to see it for at least a week! I hope I get S229 soon!!

ashutto20 said:
the tv that my in-laws used before i moved in and got dish was a regular tv with ota hooked up to a digital box...all i need to do is unplug the cable from that box and plug it into the dish ota tuner correct???

Yup! Plus the aforementioned OTA scan, of course.

cclement said:
I ordered mine at noon and I already have a shipment email with a tracking number! I wasn't expecting to see it for at least a week! I hope I get S229 soon!!

I have tracking as well. My hoppers have generally been in the first batch to receive software updates so hopefully I get it in the next day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The new UI colors on the colored shortcuts remind me of Windows XP and their "Fisher Price" theme :p . It's not bad though.

The new UI colors on the colored shortcuts remind me of Windows XP and their "Fisher Price" theme :p . It's not bad though.
The colors were a lot brighter before. They muted the colors after I said the menus were starting to look like a Colecovision. :D (Although I am sure I am not the reason why it was changed) :D

ashutto20 said:
And the OTA scan is once the usb is plugged in the cable plugged in and the s229 software is added then you click on the tab and scan correct???

sorry never had ota but very interested

When you get the S229 software there will be a setting in MENU - Settings - Diagnostics to scan for OTA channels. Look at Scott's avatar, that's the icon to look for :D .

I have not had that issue. (knock on wood!)

I had that problem every time it slip down the back of my book shelf . I finally velcroed it to the flat shelf so it wouldn't move. I think it should have a longer usb cord than it does right now so you could move it where you want to . Right now it is very short and can only be moved a certain distance from the back of the receiver and still keep it flat as well. You can use the front usb port on the face of the receiver, but then the usb cord shows .

Just ordered my Hopper USB OTA module. Noticed that it's USB cable is quite short, but it looks like it is a standard USB cable - USB Type A Male on one end and a USB Type B Male on the other.
Rather than running the antenna's stiff RG-6 coax cable up to the Hopper - the furnished USB cable could be replaced with a new (up to 15 foot long) USB cable. Then the OTA module (as well as the connector end of the RG-6 coax.) could be placed anywhere up to 15 feet from the Hopper. No more "dangling OTA module!

Monoprice sells a 15 foot USB 2.0 cable for under $2. Monoprice #5440.

I agree the usb cable is too short for my purpose and thanks for the suggestion . I might look into that ,since it is really tight behind my hopper on space.

When you plug the usb into the hopper in the back...what is the length of the cord???..the cable hooked up to the ota digital box is a decent length but i think it will be cutting it close depending on how long the cord is on the ota tuner...i dont want the cable cord to come out of the wall...once i know this...i will probably order one

thanks again

ashutto20 said:
When you plug the usb into the hopper in the back...what is the length of the cord???..the cable hooked up to the ota digital box is a decent length but i think it will be cutting it close depending on how long the cord is on the ota tuner...i dont want the cable cord to come out of the wall...once i know this...i will probably order one

thanks again

The supplied USB cable looks to be about half a foot long. As in previous posts you may be able to attach a longer USB cable. I have an old printer cable that I'll try out when I get my adapter.

If I am reading your question right, when you tune to a OTA channel and press the info button you will see info on the show and signal strength-Hope this helps

Here is a example from a OTA channel
View attachment 82545

I think your TV is up-side-down!:p

I ordered two tuners late 11/13 afternoon/early evening. I'm hoping the next business day will see an order fullfilled on my account and not backordered.

gpflepsen said:
I think your TV is up-side-down!:p

I ordered two tuners late 11/13 afternoon/early evening. I'm hoping the next business day will see an order fullfilled on my account and not backordered.

Yeah it's weird the thumbnail on iPad/iPhone is upright yet the pic is upside down. Thought it was something on my end lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)