FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

mruk69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 9, 2005
Music City U.S.A
Csn we adds USB hub to the back off the receiver? I have an ext hd and the sling adapter connect to the back USB ports.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
mruk69 said:
Csn we adds USB hub to the back off the receiver? I have an ext hd and the sling adapter connect to the back USB ports.

Yup!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
Yeah it's weird the thumbnail on iPad/iPhone is upright yet the pic is upside down. Thought it was something on my end lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I can always flip my monitor too, or read it like a hanging marsupial. :D

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
mruk69 said:

You shouldn't have a problem (as long as the hub has its own power supply).

sethwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 16, 2008
Booneville, AR
Got my tracking number too! :)

I have tracking as well. My hoppers have generally been in the first batch to receive software updates so hopefully I get it in the next day or two.

I ordered mine at noon and I already have a shipment email with a tracking number! I wasn't expecting to see it for at least a week! I hope I get S229 soon!!

Just checked the shipping status at dish and had a tracking number. It says it will be here Thursday!

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
I think your TV is up-side-down!:p

I ordered two tuners late 11/13 afternoon/early evening. I'm hoping the next business day will see an order fullfilled on my account and not backordered.

lol not sure why that happened, but when you click on the picture it's shows it normal

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
So if i get an ota tuner... all i have to do is plug the usb port into the hopper??? and then scan for channels??? no other wires or hardware?

You'll need an antenna, of course.

Am I the only one around here with a serious cabling problem? I have 3 VIP receivers, all of which have my rooftop antenna diplexed over the singular RG6 cable. I will have to double-up on all cabling just to use this tuner. Wish Dish had gone with an HDHomeRun instead.

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2008
United States
I have another question (sorry guys) which will decide if i get the ota module...when I move...im being told you need an antenna...question is how difficult is it to set one up when I get a new house...i would really like to take advantage of the ota tuner but i would hate to get it and then not be able to use it when we move...

if you dont have the antenna you wont be able to get channels correct??? is there a certain one which you can buy and if so how difficult is it to set up??? i belive you can get an indoor antenna...is that true???

Thanks

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have another question (sorry guys) which will decide if i get the ota module...when I move...im being told you need an antenna...question is how difficult is it to set one up when I get a new house...i would really like to take advantage of the ota tuner but i would hate to get it and then not be able to use it when we move...

if you dont have the antenna you wont be able to get channels correct??? is there a certain one which you can buy and if so how difficult is it to set up??? i belive you can get an indoor antenna...is that true???

Thanks
Check this site out to determine what size OTA might work.
http://antennaweb.org/

lucky86

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
By the sea, in a land called Honalee
ashutto20 said:

Thanks

This may not be the best idea but it worked for me and I picked up all the ota locals in the dever area. I took a 3ft piece of coax cable and stripped down one side so the metal in the middle is sticking out and that is connected to the USB dongle and hanging behind my tv and I pick up all my ota stations and the quality is great.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Do you see a notable change in picture quality when you flip back and forth? How about the difference in time delay?

When I change from a local OTA to local non OTA there is a delay of a few seconds, with the OTA local happening "first" then the regular non OTA local behind

lucky86

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
By the sea, in a land called Honalee
dn0121 said:
Now that is some hillbilly ingenuity :D, love it!

Yeah I'm not an ota addict like some of the people on here so that was a quick way to pick up ota channels without spending money on a fancy ota antenna. I've heard of a guy in the past who had a chain link fence running around his property and he connected coax to an ota module and stripped the end like I did and hooked that bare wire to his fence and basically turned his fence into a HUGE antenna.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Believe it or not I use a paperclip for an antenna on many of my TV's and it works great because the signals are so strong here. (Although the Hopper OTA module uses my rooftop antenna.)

Does the Super Joey support CEC?

Dish Blocked With Snow, How to get to OTA on 722

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)