FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

The people who are having issues with receiving OTA channels be aware that the problem may not be with the tuner or receiver at all. There are SO many things that can affect antenna signal.

Ordered Shipped
Order # Item Qty Day Date Day Date UPS Tracking #
69388276 USB Digital OTA Tuner 8 Mon 11/19/12 — — —

Be careful when you order. I guess I wasn't careful enough. I kept clicking, since there was no acknowledgment from Dish's Store system online until 8 units showed up in the cart. I swear that I was successful in correcting the quantity right up until I clicked the submit button, when I discovered that what I had submitted was and order for 8 units.

I immediately phoned dish. The person responding said they could not modify an order in progress. He said to send the extra units back.

I guess it is my problem. In my view it is THEIR system. Anyway. If they run out, sorry. I will get my spares returned as soon as possible.

Ordered Shipped
Order # Item Qty Day Date Day Date UPS Tracking #
69388276 USB Digital OTA Tuner 8 Mon 11/19/12 — — —

Be careful when you order. I guess I wasn't careful enough. I kept clicking, since there was no acknowledgment from Dish's Store system online until 8 units showed up in the cart. I swear that I was successful in correcting the quantity right up until I clicked the submit button, when I discovered that what I had submitted was and order for 8 units.

I immediately phoned dish. The person responding said they could not modify an order in progress. He said to send the extra units back.

I guess it is my problem. In my view it is THEIR system. Anyway. If they run out, sorry. I will get my spares returned as soon as possible.
I know what you mean, I thought it wasn't working till i noticed cart did have product in it.

The people who are having issues with receiving OTA channels be aware that the problem may not be with the tuner or receiver at all. There are SO many things that can affect antenna signal.

Understood but I had OTA with my 6000, 622 and 722. Never had the blank screen with program info bar and showing good signal. Plus it seems others having same symptoms not freezes, pixleation and drop outs associated with poor signal strength.

I just installed my ota to my hopper. It works great with the channels it picks up, but it doesn't pick up 2 channels that the Dish tv pal picks up. They just had to low of signal I assume. The 6 I get seem to have a better picture than just going to the tv (60"Sharp 3D tv). Now waiting for program guide. Grand kids like Qubo.

==DISH SUGGESTION BOX==
OPTION ONE:
I would think the DIRT members or the Dish Firmware deployment team could run a report of every customer that purchased it in the last week and then add them to tonights update list or at least tell us what the top secret force an update now key code is.
For DirecTV to force an update you rebooting then pushed 0 2 4 6 8 at the first screen. I would think dish would have some kind of emergency code like this in case the firmware software got corrupted. Other wise we could be looking at Dec 1st to get it with maybe even more delays from the holiday weekend.
----
OPTION TWO: for the firmware update code add the PID string for IF USB OTA Hardware installed and then in tonights 1am upgrade everyone with it plugged in gets the update. We could all then help test it.
----
Example (add something in here):
PID=08E0h 11/12/12 23:02:44
DownloadID:40NA
Upgrading parts of new FW with filters:
S229:'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S228','AYA7'-'AYA7'
S229:'1[A-D0-2]1[A-B0-1]'&'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S229','AYA7'-'AYA7'
New FW:'S229'&'S229'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN:
'1...'&'NA[CFJ].': {XiP813} R0000000001-R4000000000

Last edited:
I connected two of the OTA tuners on Saturday and was surprised when they found 88 channels in my area (DFW). They had even scanned in encrypted sub-channels that are not available for public viewing. I have had no problem receiving all 70+ viewable channels. My lowest signal strength is 73. I have had the blank screen with the banner come up several times. It seems to always happen on the same channel , 68-1. To work around the problem, I go up one channel to 68-2, after it is tuned in, I go back down to 68-1 and the picture comes back on 68-1. So far this procedure has worked every time.

first time w ota...but my father in law always had it when we would visit...i remember about the same amount...scanned and only picked up 24 channels...does that sound about right???...28110 zip

found dragnet and set series timer on an ota channel...love that show I watched it all the time

first time w ota...but my father in law always had it when we would visit...i remember about the same amount...scanned and only picked up 24 channels...does that sound about right???...28110 zip

There have been many messages in this very thread with the link to find out how many stations are in your area, have you checked any of those sites to compare?

yes ive tried the websites...thanks for this one too...i guess I just don't understand what im seeing...i just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on any channels...sorry im an ota newbie...im just satisfied that I have ota module and software

Well...My OTA Tuner arrived today...now all I need is a Hopper to plug it into! :hungry:

(Install set for Wednesday! :D)

yes ive tried the websites...thanks for this one too...i guess I just don't understand what im seeing...i just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on any channels...sorry im an ota newbie...im just satisfied that I have ota module and software
You should be getting all of the Charlotte locals plus a couple of more. I get 27 OTA channels in Mint Hill just east of Charlotte.

ScottChez said:
==DISH SUGGESTION BOX==
OPTION ONE:
I would think the DIRT members or the Dish Firmware deployment team could run a report of every customer that purchased it in the last week and then add them to tonights update list or at least tell us what the top secret force an update now key code is.
For DirecTV to force an update you rebooting then pushed 0 2 4 6 8 at the first screen. I would think dish would have some kind of emergency code like this in case the firmware software got corrupted. Other wise we could be looking at Dec 1st to get it with maybe even more delays from the holiday weekend.
----
OPTION TWO: for the firmware update code add the PID string for IF USB OTA Hardware installed and then in tonights 1am upgrade everyone with it plugged in gets the update. We could all then help test it.
----
Example (add something in here):
PID=08E0h 11/12/12 23:02:44
DownloadID:40NA
Upgrading parts of new FW with filters:
S229:'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S228','AYA7'-'AYA7'
S229:'1[A-D0-2]1[A-B0-1]'&'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S229','AYA7'-'AYA7'
New FW:'S229'&'S229'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN:
'1...'&'NA[CFJ].': {XiP813} R0000000001-R4000000000

That is an excellent idea. As of now, it looks like I will probably have the OTA tuner with no way to even verify that it works for some undisclosed amount of time that only Dish knows but can't tell me. Frustrating.

skyviewmark said:
Have they stopped sending software? Still holding on to my OTA dongles and no software as of this morning.. This waiting is killing me..

It sure seems like they have. Maybe the engineers have the whole week off. I'm getting tired of looking at my $30 paper weights.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Has anyone received the new software in the last two days. I think they have stopped sending it.

i think that there is a USB OTA dongle's bug in the S230 update and they're holding it out, maybe we all get S231 instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)