FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
First you have to prove that 50% of Dish viewers watch Fox News regularly. I don't think you can as the viewer %'s and raw numbers for Fox don't support that at all.
The ratings tell the tale. Not me. Now, if the ratings for Dish subs only are not representative, I have no clue how one would determine that.
All that can be done is to pay attention to the overall ratings filtering through all providers. Meaning, that if say half of all cable and satellite subs view at least one show on FNC during any one 24 hour broadcast day, one must assume that applies to Dish subs as well.
The ratings are the bargaining chip. The same applied to Turner as their ratings declined for CNN/HLN by some 30% since the last deal was signed with Dish. A service with crumbling ratings and shrinking viewership does not deserve more money.
Despite your objection to the very existence of FNC, your swimming against the tide here. FNC gets huge ratings compared to the other cable news nets. THAT is what the money says. And they WILL get it. It's business. Not personal
I don't think you can as the viewer %'s and raw numbers for Fox don't support that at all. Don't support WHAT?

The fact is 99% of Americans do not watch Fox News. And they don't watch CNN or MSNBC. And they don't watch the news on their local channels. Those who still do are, for the most part, boomers and the elderly. Younger adults do not turn to TV for their news, and increasingly they do not turn to TV for their entertainment.

As far as Fox specifically, they cater to a certain political, religious, and social demographic. As with CNN, they simply don't matter any more. Oh O'Reilly, Hannity, and the merry band of Fox and Friends will scream that Dish is really run by atheists, Muslims, and Barak Obama and are out to silence them, but the truth is they are no longer relevant in the eyes of 99% of Americans. (And the same can be said about all TV News)

When the boomers and their parents die off, so will TV news.
99% of Americans don't watch Fox News....Interesting. And such anger.

Don't support your 50% figure. And no, the ratings do not show that at all. If 50% of the Dish viewers watch Fox regularly, then the broader total US viewership should be that 50%, and it sure as hell isn't.

Despite your objection to the very existence of FNC, your swimming against the tide here. FNC gets huge ratings compared to the other cable news nets. THAT is what the money says. And they WILL get it. It's business. Not personal
I have no objection to FNC existing or even being on Dish, where do you come up with that? FNC, like the other 24/7 news services is no better or worse than the other, they just have their own slant on the news as do all of them.

Personally, I watch Fox News quite a bit. Will I miss it while the negotiations continue? Sure. Will I go looking for another service provider? No. Will I whine and complain? No. Will I suffer terribly? No. Life will go on, work will go on, the world will continue to turn and eventually the dispute will be over and Fox News will return. If I miss it a lot, there's always foxnewsgo.com...

Younger gen. is using miracast, roku, chromecast, etc., etc., to cast their phone/tablet screen to their big screen tv, It's a new world! 6 mbps plays nice video. The big boys are afraid of whats coming with internet TV. Watch the next few months and you will be able to get smaller channel packages with local access (if you choose). 30 bucks will probably get you Fox news and the other channels you watch with out all the Bloat of channels you currently are forced to subscribe to.

The cable and satellite television industry could be in for a big shift thanks to a small change proposed by the Federal Communications Commission

Analysts have said that this shift could mean an influx of competition into the TV industry, as well as rapid growth for television delivered over the Internet.

“Our proposal will mean more alternatives for consumers beyond the traditional cable or satellite bundle, including giving consumers more options to buy the programming they want,” said FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler in comments he filed as part of the FCC’s vote

"Big company control over access to programming should not keep programs from being available on the Internet. Today, we propose to break that bottleneck," Wheeler wrote

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-2000-channels,news-20047.html

http://mashable.com/2014/12/19/fcc-multichannel-video-programming-distributor/
Correct. However, I was referring to mass distribution.

The ratings tell the tale. Not me. Now, if the ratings for Dish subs only are not representative, I have no clue how one would determine that.
All that can be done is to pay attention to the overall ratings filtering through all providers. Meaning, that if say half of all cable and satellite subs view at least one show on FNC during any one 24 hour broadcast day, one must assume that applies to Dish subs as well.
The ratings are the bargaining chip. The same applied to Turner as their ratings declined for CNN/HLN by some 30% since the last deal was signed with Dish.

The ratings of a channel are really not as important as to how many people will pick up the phone to cancel or to get a service credit.

The CW network gets double the ratings of FNC, but how many of their viewers would really care or notice if it went off the air? Is a 17 year old going to cancel his parent's service because the CW is gone? Where the rubber meets the road is how many people cancel in the next few days, and the only one who knows that is Dish Corporate in Denver.

Personally, I watch Fox News quite a bit. Will I miss it while the negotiations continue? Sure. Will I go looking for another service provider? No. Will I whine and complain? No. Will I suffer terribly? No. Life will go on, work will go on, the world will continue to turn and eventually the dispute will be over and Fox News will return. If I miss it a lot, there's always foxnewsgo.com...
That's way too mature thinking for around here.;)

And there ya have it...Finally an intelligent response.....
Thanks!!!!

The ratings of a channel are really not as important as to how many people will pick up the phone to cancel or to get a service credit.

The CW network gets double the ratings of FNC, but how many of their viewers would really care or notice if it went off the air? Is a 17 year old going to cancel his parent's service because the CW is gone? Where the rubber meets the road is how many people cancel in the next few days, and the only one who knows that is Dish Corporate in Denver.
No mitch. The ratings determine the overall value of a channel.
Ratings mean ad dollars. Ad dollars pay the bills. No ad dollars, no programming.
Big ratings, more ad dollars, More ad dollars means more viewers. More viewers means the channel is more valuable.
This is not a difficult concept.

For me, it is not necessarily about one channel or another, it is more about the present and future state of content delivery. With satellite programming in the decay stage of the business cycle, the question that I have is how much tolerance does the average viewer have? I will survive without Fox Business, but if I can continually go without channels due to contract disputes, then why subscribe in the first place. There simply isn't enough value in the programming for my household to justify the cost and constant disruption in service.

The fact is 99% of Americans do not watch Fox News. And they don't watch CNN or MSNBC. And they don't watch the news on their local channels. Those who still do are, for the most part, boomers and the elderly. Younger adults do not turn to TV for their news, and increasingly they do not turn to TV for their entertainment.

As far as Fox specifically, they cater to a certain political, religious, and social demographic. As with CNN, they simply don't matter any more. Oh O'Reilly, Hannity, and the merry band of Fox and Friends will scream that Dish is really run by atheists, Muslims, and Barak Obama and are out to silence them, but the truth is they are no longer relevant in the eyes of 99% of Americans. (And the same can be said about all TV News)

When the boomers and their parents die off, so will TV news.
Please leave your political commentary for another forum. Fox News has beaten all other cable news networks in the ratings far the past couple years. More young people watch Fox News than any other cable news network. Just the facts.

Internet TV is the NEW Mass Distribution format, keep your eyes open the next few months and witness the change.
IPTV will not his mass distribution until the media to deliver it becomes available. Meaning, the fiber networks have yet to be run to 90% of the country. yes, there are cable and telco providers that boast high speeds. But at a premium price. $60 to $80per month for internet.

Reactions: reddice
I'm not a huge political guy, but to be honest 24/7 news is bullsh't. Anything that is immersed all day every day is going to be laced with filler. Therefore, i don't use the TV for news. F(orget) them all.
You are part of a small but growing faction of people who are tuning out of traditional news sources.

No mitch. The ratings determine the overall value of a channel.
Ratings mean ad dollars. Ad dollars pay the bills. No ad dollars, no programming.
Big ratings, more ad dollars, More ad dollars means more viewers. More viewers means the channel is more valuable.
This is not a difficult concept.

If ad dollars pay the bills, then why are we being forced to pay for it. If ad dollars pay the bills then Fox with its big ratings should be able to stand on it's own and we shouldn't have to pay to watch or not watch a highly rated ad supported network.

When all is said and done, Charlie will regret his decision blackout Fox News, the first time any carrier has ever done so. He thinks he is dealing with CNN, this is Fox News, and The Blaze isn't a replacement for it. That Dish fairy tale that this is all about Fox Sports Channel is just more smoke and mirrors. That is a separate contract and can't be removed by Fox for any reason at this time. Don't believe the spin. My prediction? Back on Dish by New Years Day, but at what cost in cancellations and service credits?

Explain to me how Charlie blacked out Fox. Are you just enjoying the blame game, or do you not actually understand the negotiation process? If Fox comes to Dish and wants a lot more money, and Dish says no, you choose to say that Dish blacked out Fox? And, while Fox can't pull the other channels under contract, they can say "no dice unless they are added to the negotiations" for the two that are currently off contract.

People who pout and throw a fit about losing channels are usually the same ones that pout when the prices go up, like they don't see the correlation.

If ad dollars pay the bills, then why are we being forced to pay for it. If ad dollars pay the bills then Fox with its big ratings should be able to stand on it's own and we shouldn't have to pay to watch or not watch a highly rated ad supported network.
I did not say "all of the bills"....Ad dollars are just one revenue source.
I would think, but for ad revenue, pay tv would be cost prohibitive for 90% of the population

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)