Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Greetings everyone from the 2005 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas!

It has been a long day, our day started at 4am. We didn't arrive in Vegas until over 12 hours later.

Once we got here we checked into our room and headed on over to the Las Vegas Convention Center, where we found our press credential waiting for us, almong with some really nice "reporters bags" provided to us by Toshiba.

After getting our stuff we went looking for a place to eat, we walked from place to place, most places were closed for lunch. We finally found a Korean place and had lunch / dinner there. (My wife was very happy as she is Korean)

After dinner we walked back to the LVCC and walked into the main hall where everything was being setup.

I saw the Dish Network booth and went over to see what they were up to (and also to see if I could find out any surprises) but it was not all setup yet. And from what I saw I didn't see anything I haven't seen before. I snapped a few quick photos and was on my way.

The VOOM and DirecTV booths were not setup when I walked in, they only had parts up.

Later after sneeking around on the show floor we went and got a sneek peak of some of this years innovations.

MOXI was there showing off their new Broadband Moxi unit as well as their new Moxi Mate unit which connects to your main moxi unit so you can share all your recorded shows to other TV's.

I also saw a remote that I really want, a NEVO SL Remote, this remote is WIFI enabled so you can control all your broadband devices as well your your IR devices.

XAVIX was there showing off some cool new XAVIX games, including Fishing and Golf.

I also got my first listen of HD Radio, and its sounded a lot like listening to a CD instead of FM radio, but the big problem I have with HD Radio is the audio you are hearing is still the standard FM programming with 20 minutes of commercials per hour. XM and SIRIUS have nothing to fear in HD Radio.

Speaking of XM and Sirius they have a HUGE pressense here, there are XM and Sirius Blow Ups all over the place, including a hugh SIRIUS dog in front of the Hard Rock Hotel. (Which is where I hear Sirius is having a huge party Friday night... I would love an invite to that party) (hint hint) :D

We have now come back to our hotel room to get some sleep, yes it's only 6PM here but to us it feels like 9PM, and we have been going since 6am.

Tommorow we will be all prepped and ready and will be using the real camera equipment. Not sure if we will be able to go on the show floor since the show does not open until Thursday, however there are a bunch of Press Confrences we will be at.

Tommorow afternoon I will start updating the talking head on the main page when I hear or see something worth reporting. :)

Goodnight from Vegas!

Attachments

• cesoverhead.jpg
    cesoverhead.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 821
  • dish_ces_setup.jpg
    dish_ces_setup.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 762
  • dish_ces_setup2.jpg
    dish_ces_setup2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 613
  • moxie1.jpg
    moxie1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 739
  • moxie2.jpg
    moxie2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 755
  • moxie3.jpg
    moxie3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 750
  • moxie4.jpg
    moxie4.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 696
  • moxie5.jpg
    moxie5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 704
  • nevo_sl_remote.jpg
    nevo_sl_remote.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 796
  • hotelview.jpg
    hotelview.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 571
Hope the press badge will help you to sneak in. Looking forward to your regular updates! Have fun!

Scott..Just saw on the news today that McCarran Intl Airport has free wi-fi throughout the facility. If you find yourself with too much time on your hands at the airport, you'll have something to do (other than gamble). Welcome to Vegas!

Scott,
Thanks for the great pictures (check to make sure you don't have a fingerprint on the lens, though) of the MOXI. I'd like to see a lot more about the new 2Wire box that Dish and SBC are going to use for Home Media Services. MOXI might have some competition.

Boy, I haven't been to CES in over twelve years. Back then, Charlie was still selling BUDs and HDTVs were analog (and I say they still looked better than our current digital generation sets). CDs were still "new" and LaserDiscs were the "HiDef" video delivery method. Dolby wasn't digital yet, but AC-3 was coming.

And, of course, there were the "Adult" Entertainment personnel...:D

Sorry those pictures were taken with my camera phone. :) My other cameras were back in the hotel. I wasnt expecting to sneek in. :D

I just went (a few moments ago) and cleaned the lenses on my Digital Cameras, and the 2 Video Cameras.

OK really off to bed now. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just went (a few moments ago) and cleaned the lenses on my Digital Cameras, and the 2 Video Cameras.
My seven-year old son likes to "borrow" Mom's Olympus to take pictures. He's pretty good, but I usually need to clean the lens afterwards.
korsjs said:
don't let charlie off the hook.
Yeah, is the Stratosphere still running that skyhook ride? Tell him you want answers, or *Sproooooiiiiinnnnnggggg*
Scott Greczkowski said:
OK really off to bed now. :)
Get your rest, we'll be here... Thanks for everything!

korsjs said:
don't let charlie off the hook.
Yeah, is the Stratosphere still running that skyhook ride? Tell him you want answers, or *Sproooooiiiiinnnnnggggg*

Scott you awake yet!!!!!!!!!

Find out more about the Nevo remote, not much on their website. Oh and have a great time. :yes

One word man.. DVR! Let us know if you hear anything about Voom releasing their whole house DVR solution. I can't wait to dump cable and get back to the best HD provider in town, VOOM! :)

you said "The VOOM and DirecTV booths were not setup when I walked in, they only had parts up" what were those parts.

Scott,

Try and get some info from The Sirius booth on their plans for adding video streams to their service (calling this "rear seat services"). I have heard that they have a deal with Microsoft and Nickolodean for a service to start (late this year?).

Scott don't forget to take a look at Samsung's world's biggest flat-panel TV with a 102-inch plasma screen.....there goes my daughters collage fund.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)