Greetings from CES 2005!

caesar gdi said:
has D* said that? it sounded like they implied free upgrades to me.

According to Scott's report both D* and E* mentioned free or nearly free upgrades for existing HD STB's.

NightRyder

caesar gdi said:
something tells me that D* will have free upgrades and E* will have nearly free ;)

I don't know..I think BFG is right. D* and free equipment just don't fit in the same sentence. E* will probably offer some kind of lease and maybe a credit towards X amount of months based on the STB you trade in.

NightRyder

caesar gdi said:
something tells me that D* will have free upgrades and E* will have nearly free ;)

I have no experience with D*; but based on past performance, I think that is an unfair comment on E*.

It remains to be seen; but, IMO, E* past records on equiptment upgrades, as been very fair.

Maybe I should have said with my luck E* will be nearly free? I know that D* usually has a more upfront cost than E*

Who's going to pay $749 for the 942, which is not MPEG-4 capable, knowing the MPEG-4 boxes will be available in the near future? I know I won't.

who says that E* is going to have the 942 in the near future? and how many upgrades will it take before it works as designed?

dont24 said:
Who's going to pay $749 for the 942, which is not MPEG-4 capable, knowing the MPEG-4 boxes will be available in the near future? I know I won't.

I wouldn't either, but the vast majority of the public won't know any better. :no

NightRyder

since they seemingly want to lease all of their other boxes...and they want all their new customers to lease everything, why will they not lease the 942??? (or the 921 for that matter!)

So the 942 is a glorified HD version of the 522 without NBR? Would this mean also that only certain people can get it? I would think not since it has a price tag attached to it.

I don't like the way that they worded the "Nearly Free" upgrades. It sounded like they will only upgrade users who already have an HD STB and that current users without one would have to pay full price.

There was no price mention in the press release. The "nearly free" came from scott who was at the press conferences, we'll need to wait until he posts the specifics of what he heard later..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)