Greetings from CES 2005!

hdtvtechno said:
also Note

Mitsubishi is changing their corporate name to Panasonic

Quote from AVS Forum CES Press person
:eek: :eek: I think that should be Honda changing their name to Toyota ;)

Mitsubishi?

Dude, its Matsushita, not Mitsubishi. Matsushita is the parent company of Panasonic, along with many other Japanese CE manunfacturers. What was formerly known as Matsushita of America will now become Panasonic of AMerica. That is what the name change is all about. :)

sullivbt said:
Dude, its Matsushita, not Mitsubishi. Matsushita is the parent company of Panasonic, along with many other Japanese CE manunfacturers. What was formerly known as Matsushita of America will now become Panasonic of AMerica. That is what the name change is all about. :)

I think that was a quote from someone that had missplaced his head (as in way up) :D

Toto

Sorry, Toto. I thought I had addressed the post to hdtvtechno, but when I reviewed it, I realized that I did not put a name on it. Hope you didn't think that I was pinging you - I could tell you had it figured out :)

Scott -

Thanks for your coverage of CES this year. You did an excellent job last year too so I am really looking forward to your viewpoint on this year's show.

If you happen to walk past the Nakamichi USA booth (#11648) please say HI to my brother Erik who basically put the whole thing up himself. I am sure if you said his brother Dirk sent you that he would show you around.

We are about 30 minutes away from when they open the door for the Echostar Press Conference, so I am typing this from the press room on my laptop.

This is actually my frst CES show, and boy this is huge.

I know I have not been providing much technical detail for the show and I appologize, just with the volume of information I am getting plus the fact that I am not only doing interviews for SatelliteGuys Radio, I am also taking pictures and am video taping as well. (Yesterdays XM conference was funny, I was setup between The Newshour with Jim Leher and CBS news, they had these big professional TV cameras and I was there with 2 $500 MINI DV Home Camcorders. :D

I do plan on taking the technical data that I have received and will doo a much more detailed write up when I get a chance. :)

The UCENTRIC / VOOM Press Conference scheduled for today has been canceled.

I will be attending the Dish Network press conference then the DirecTV press conference, from there I will go see the VOOM booth and will try to post photos ASAP. :)

I also talked to the folks from 2WIRE over breakfast this morning, they tell me the new 2WIRE box being used by SBC is being shown at the SBC booth, I will be sure to catch that.

Got to run amost time for the Dish Press Conference. :D

Scott,

Just make sure you get to the press lunches on time (just follow Tom, aka earlybird) they usually run out of food and when they run out.....they run out! no food 4 U ! (believe me, we learned the hard way!) :D

additional Directv Press release

The first group of DMAs to receive local HD channels is: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households. Additional markets to receive local HD programming this year will be announced at a later date. Today, DIRECTV offers local channels in standard definition in 130 markets, including these 12 markets.

Local HD programming in the first group of markets will be available mid-year following the successful launch of the Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites in the second quarter. The launch of these satellites and two others -- DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, scheduled to go aloft in early 2007 -- will play a vital role in the dramatic expansion of programming capacity for DIRECTV, announced last September.

The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.

DIRECTV will transmit all local HD channels and other new services from three Ka-band orbital slots co-located over the center of the country using MPEG-4 AVC, the new standard in digital video compression, and advanced modulation that will more than double the efficiency of DIRECTV's Ka-band capacity.

Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal. HD local programming will be received via a single dish -- slightly larger than the current standard dish -- and customers will require new HD set top boxes due to new compression technology.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The UCENTRIC / VOOM Press Conference scheduled for today has been canceled.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the Ucentric D* agreement :cool:

AHHH!!!! Information overload!!!! :D

Dang so that POS 942 will cost $749 with no info on lease, forget that!

Ball-bustin'

hdtvtechno;

I was just busting your balls a little bit - no offense meant. Just another reason why SatelliteGuys is one of the best tech sites on the Internet - were all hear just to have some laughs and learn some new things :)

Just a word to describe my lack of interest in it. For me it will serve no purpose, and I think others will agree.

Obsolete before it's released. Looks like all of E* and D* current HD boxes are headed that way.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)