Greetings from CES 2005!

I myself am an 811 owner and they finally have it working half-way decent. I would be scared to trade it in, even for free. Know what I mean? There is no telling what kind of bug-plauged product you'll get in return.

caesar gdi said:
I don't like the way that they worded the "Nearly Free" upgrades. It sounded like they will only upgrade users who already have an HD STB and that current users without one would have to pay full price.
well why would they nearly free upgrade those costumers who dont have a hd stb and paid for them already

dont24 said:
Who's going to pay $749 for the 942, which is not MPEG-4 capable, knowing the MPEG-4 boxes will be available in the near future? I know I won't.

Did I miss where the specs were for this box? I did not see anything where it said it was or was not Mpeg4.

It's been known that this box is only MPEg2. They have a picture in the press page with the MPEG2 logo.

BFG said:
It's been known that this box is only MPEg2. They have a picture in the press page with the MPEG2 logo.

wouldn't any company be completly stupid to release a new hd receiver without mpeg 4? i thought at one time i heard that dish was halting production on the 942 until they had the mpeg 4 issue figured out.

i would not by something that i know is not going to work in the future.

NightRyder said:
I don't know..I think BFG is right. D* and free equipment just don't fit in the same sentence.

Not sure where you guys get this from. D* upgrades for free all the time. Locals now available at 119 for you? Oh you have just an 18" dish and a first gen receiver not capable of multi-sat? Well here's a nice new shiny Phase III dish and new receiver for you. Cost? Oh that's free (maybe a $15 shipping charge but we can work that out), just need a 1 year commitment.

D*'s been doing free or nearly free upgrades for years...

Neutron said:
The DISH 5000 receiver comes to mind on hardware screwups.

I was thinking more along the lines of the STB/DVD box that never even made it to market. Can't remember what the model number was.

NightRyder

Hi Scott,

Thanks for all your hard work down at CES. I know that for me at past CESs there wasn't even enought time to get around to just the high-end audio exhibits and you are covering acres of new "stuff". Hope you have 48 hours of uninterrupted sleep planned when you fianally drag your self home!

Still watching HDTV under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)