HDMI v Component (Split from "A/V Sync Question")

tmoca

Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
First let me say hi...I am new here and am having a little issue.

I am new to all of this. I have searched the forum, but cannot find the answer to a couple of questions, specifically the cable question.

I have my dish receiver hooked up via HDMI (for video), however, I originally had a DVI-HDMI with my old cable box and the Dish guys gave me an adapter so I could go HDMI-HDMI from the Dish box to my TV.

My audio is running from the Dish receiver to my Sony receiver via an optical cable.

The problem is this. The audio seems to come through a fraction of a second BEFORE the video.
My question is this. What steps should I try to solve this issue? I have tried changing channels and also it doesn't seem to matter HD or standard channels.

Does having that HDMI/DVI adapter make a difference? Is it slowing the video signal down? Should I get a direct HDMI-HDMI cable and get rid of the adapter? Will the signal process faster, therefore matching my audio?

I have also read about cable quality and length. Both optical and HDMI cables that I have are quality cables and not very long.

Any ideas? BTW-I have not called DishNetwork yet.

Finally one last question a bit off topic. I have seen these optical splitters. Do they work good and without loss of quality? I don't want to actually split the signal, but I have an XBOX that is using an optical audio and I have a DVD that I want to use one as well, but my receiver only has 2 inputs and the Dish is using one.

Here is my set up
Vip 622 DVR box
Samsung LCD LN-T4661F
Sony STR-DE545 (no delay settings)

I hope this makes sense...I am a n00b here. Thanks in advance.

I was having the same issues with the HDMI port and had to switch to component. Haven't seen the problem again. Try the component connection (Red, Green, Blue) with (red and white) for audio.

I was having the same issues with the HDMI port and had to switch to component. Haven't seen the problem again. Try the component connection (Red, Green, Blue) with (red and white) for audio.

I will give that a shot, but won't I lose image and audio quality that way?

I have to disagree with the "no video q lost" statement. Component is much softer than HDMI. To some it actually may be an improvement and not as harsh as HDMI, but there is no way that component looks "as good" as HDMI.

I would do what whatchel1 is mentioning. The audio sync setting on the Dish receiver is probably the issue here.

See ya
Tony

BTW I have my sat receiver connected to my Hitachi TV via HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite for no other reason other than I can. So I have checked it out with my own eyes and some one else selecting the inputs blind. I could spot the difference every time between all 4 inputs. Sometimes it took me a while, but I scored 100. :)

The only way to correct my audio sync was by switching to component and I do have the audio sync set to HD on my receiver. It was driving me crazy specially when watching basketball and baseball, I could hear the swish of the basked or the ball hitting the catcher's glove so I knew what was gonna happen before it happened. :(

As far as the video quality, each TV set is different and in my opinion they both look the same on mine.

I have to disagree with the "no video q lost" statement. Component is much softer than HDMI. To some it actually may be an improvement and not as harsh as HDMI, but there is no way that component looks "as good" as HDMI.

I would do what whatchel1 is mentioning. The audio sync setting on the Dish receiver is probably the issue here.

See ya
Tony

BTW I have my sat receiver connected to my Hitachi TV via HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite for no other reason other than I can. So I have checked it out with my own eyes and some one else selecting the inputs blind. I could spot the difference every time between all 4 inputs. Sometimes it took me a while, but I scored 100. :)

But have you calibrated the inputs the same (component and HDMI)? I think most differences seen in the connections is based on the display setup. The only difference with component is there is additional D/A and A/D conversions going on.

But have you calibrated the inputs the same (component and HDMI)? I think most differences seen in the connections is based on the display setup. The only difference with component is there is additional D/A and A/D conversions going on.

HDMI sends out discrete information for each and every pixel in the picture. Component sends out an analog signal with the information that is interpolated by the TV in lower resolution then upgraded at the TV. There just is not as much info being sent to the TV. No amount of adjusting will make compnent look as good as a properly set up HDMI connection.

Statement of fact : HDMI carries more picture information than component.
Statement of opinion: HDMI looks better than component. Coponent has a softer and, to some a much more pleasing look. HDMI has a sharper, more "crisp" and sometimes harsher look. This is also all source dependant. Statements assume 1080i source.

But we are getting away from the OP's original question which has to do with audio sync.

Currently he is sending DVI via adaptor to the TV and Optical to audio receiver. His audio receiver is getting/processing the sound before the TV is getting/processing the sound.

Option discussed so far:
-Check the sound sync settings on the 622 receiver in the set-up/preferences menu (I forget whish off the top of my head)

-Don't use HDMI for the Pix, use component video connection

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I have one more myself... How about using the HDMI direct (no DVI adaptor) direct to the TV and then TV's optical out to the receiver. But check the sync settings on the 622 first.

See ya
Tony

HDMI sends out discrete information for each and every pixel in the picture. Component sends out an analog signal with the information that is interpolated by the TV in lower resolution then upgraded at the TV. There just is not as much info being sent to the TV. No amount of adjusting will make compnent look as good as a properly set up HDMI connection.

Statement of fact : HDMI carries more picture information than component.

I don't want to get off topic either but I have never read anywhere where HDMI carries more info than component and that component is lower resolution than HDMI and I find both hard to believe. If that were the case many more people would see a difference between HDMI and component. Can you provide some data to that regard, maybe PM to keep this thread on topic. Here is one of many links which agree with what I have said.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

Hdmi is an all digital connection with no change in picture quality from transmission to recevier to tv.

Component is an analog connection that still does conversions in picture quality.

But then again hdmi does conversions in a different way before it is transmitted. Component can do hd but it is still an analog connection. There really is no difference in quality and it really depends on what cables you use and what kind of tvs etc. What ever looks best to you is the deal.

Take a look at this article and read up on it for yourself.

www.bluejeanscable.com/article/dvihdmicomponent.htm

Hdmi is an all digital connection with no change in picture quality from transmission to recevier to tv.

Component is an analog connection that still does conversions in picture quality. It can do hd but it is still an analog connection.

Agree, but I have a problem with a "conversion in picture quality". It coverts the signal yes, but does not necessarily change the PQ. The PQ has more to do with how the devices do the conversions and both HDMI and component can look great. So this will vary from setup to setup.

My problem with the earlier statements was that component is lower resolution and HDMI carries more picture information.

Agree, but I have a problem with a "conversion in picture quality". It coverts the signal yes, but does not necessarily change the PQ. The PQ has more to do with how the devices do the conversions and both HDMI and component can look great. So this will vary from setup to setup.

My problem with the earlier statements was that component is lower resolution and HDMI carries more picture information.

Isn't there some limit to what resolution can travel over component. whereas, HDMI is digital, and could support much higher resolutions

For example, I rarely see a display device that supports higher that 1080i over component. Higher resolutions than even 1080p should work over hdmi, when connected to say a computer monitor that supports higher than 1080p.

or is is just that the manufactures are making component enabled devices that don't support high resolutions over component?

Isn't there some limit to what resolution can travel over component. whereas, HDMI is digital, and could support much higher resolutions

For example, I rarely see a display device that supports higher that 1080i over component. Higher resolutions than even 1080p should work over hdmi, when connected to say a computer monitor that supports higher than 1080p.

or is is just that the manufactures are making component enabled devices that don't support high resolutions over component?

1080p will pass over component, but you're right that very few devices output or receive this signal over component. I do not know the reasons.

And I'm not sure what the theoretical limit is on HDMI resolution.

No analog 1080p available

There just aren't any devices that are made to output an analog 1080p. All the equipment that outputs 1080p only do so in the digital domain.

I don't want to get off topic either but I have never read anywhere where HDMI carries more info than component and that component is lower resolution than HDMI and I find both hard to believe. If that were the case many more people would see a difference between HDMI and component. Can you provide some data to that regard, maybe PM to keep this thread on topic. Here is one of many links which agree with what I have said.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

It has become a religious crusade and no amount of links on one side will sway the other. I read that article a while back. I have also discussed this in other forums where actual datastream throughputs were used with HDMI sending more raw data in controlled tests and even then the tests are disputed. All I can tell you is what is. The conclusion of "it depends" was the same as mine in a different way. Some people prefer the Component picture. Some don't.

See ya
Tony

I agree with "it depends".

For me HDMI has a minor bump in gamma in the mid IRE range that cannot be calibrated out without affecting low and high IRE in an adverse way. Component on my display does not have this issue and I therefore use component. But the question still remains is it the source device or display device causing the issue.

That being said, I doubt anyone could see a difference between HDMI and component on my setup...including myself. So that's my setup and my experience but it may be different for others and "it depends".

It has become a religious crusade and no amount of links on one side will sway the other. I read that article a while back. I have also discussed this in other forums where actual datastream throughputs were used with HDMI sending more raw data in controlled tests and even then the tests are disputed. All I can tell you is what is. The conclusion of "it depends" was the same as mine in a different way. Some people prefer the Component picture. Some don't.

See ya
Tony

If you have any links to the datastream throughput info I'd be interested in reading through it. Thanks.

There just aren't any devices that are made to output an analog 1080p. All the equipment that outputs 1080p only do so in the digital domain.
Sorry, that is not correct.
A cheap laptop with an analog VGA cable can output 1080p and many people do so.
My 720p LCD can receive a 1080p signal over VGA and scale it to 720p.

I have an Olevia 542I tv and there is a difference between HDMI cables and component as far as picture quality. Both sets of cables were purchased at monoprice and are good quality. There is a lot more noise on my tv with component than HDMI. Motion is much better with HDMI too. This of course, is my setup using a 211 box.

Didn't the 622 have issues with HDMI a while back or has that been fixed through subsequent software updates? I checked about a year ago and much preferred component as the hdmi looked washed out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)