Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

The other day I finally got around to replacing AMC1 with SES3.
Unfortunately, I now only receive the Huntington Beach cams and Microspace promo on ku and only the PBS and KTLN and KEEN feeds on c-band.
I first renamed AMC1 to SES3, then deleted all the ku and c-band transponders on that satellite. I then rescanned both bands and ended up with what I now have...few transponders. I tried bumping the dish one way or another, but no difference. I checked my lnb settings and all was good. I even tried entering the transponder numbers myself, but that didn't work either. I should add that the channels I do get on SES3 are strong, with readings in the mid 70's. I then thought I'd see if I had lnb issues and so I deleted the ku and c band transponders on AMC 15. With a rescan, I got all AMC15 transponders with no problems.
Prior to the change over, I got all that was FTA on AMC1.
I'm at a loss to determine my SES3 issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi All,

The other day I finally got around to replacing AMC1 with SES3.
Unfortunately, I now only receive the Huntington Beach cams and Microspace promo on ku and only the PBS and KTLN and KEEN feeds on c-band.
I first renamed AMC1 to SES3, then deleted all the ku and c-band transponders on that satellite. I then rescanned both bands and ended up with what I now have...few transponders. I tried bumping the dish one way or another, but no difference. I checked my lnb settings and all was good. I even tried entering the transponder numbers myself, but that didn't work either. I should add that the channels I do get on SES3 are strong, with readings in the mid 70's. I then thought I'd see if I had lnb issues and so I deleted the ku and c band transponders on AMC 15. With a rescan, I got all AMC15 transponders with no problems.
Prior to the change over, I got all that was FTA on AMC1.
I'm at a loss to determine my SES3 issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Did you change your LNB skew back from the weird skew AMC1 had?

Did you change your LNB skew back from the weird skew AMC1 had?
I never changed the skew for the satellite to begin with. I just did without the ku NBC feeds there and mainly watched the c band side of that satellite.

I never changed the skew for the satellite to begin with. I just did without the ku NBC feeds there and mainly watched the c band side of that satellite.
Well, thats not the problem then. I believe I recall other posts as well where people weren't getting what they did before the switch. If anything, Satbeams shows Cape Cod with better signal level now than before. Definitely strange that this is happening. :(

Well, thats not the problem then. I believe I recall other posts as well where people weren't getting what they did before the switch. If anything, Satbeams shows Cape Cod with better signal level now than before. Definitely strange that this is happening. :(

Yes, the signals I am getting from that satellite (beach cams and PBS) this AM are 76-77, but cannot put a lock on anything else.
It is strange and it has me baffled.

Yes, the signals I am getting from that satellite (beach cams and PBS) this AM are 76-77, but cannot put a lock on anything else.
It is strange and it has me baffled.
When you renamed AMC1 to SES3 and deleted all the transponders, did you reboot your receiver before doing a rescan? That sometimes does the trick.

When you renamed AMC1 to SES3 and deleted all the transponders, did you reboot your receiver before doing a rescan? That sometimes does the trick.

I will try that reboot idea and let you know if it works. Thanks !!!

Same thing with me transponders 11760H 11840H and 11880H will not scan.
I tried tweaking the dish changed the lnb and on my Sathero satfinder horizontal transponders are breaking up (flickering)
while 11940V is fine and my skew is OK and i have no obstructions to my dish,so im glad to know that im not the only one to have that issue.
bobsav 2001 VE2FCZ

Don't watch these often so I just checked to be sure I was getting them since I knew I was after the switch. All still coming in fine. I also deleted the transponders and rescanned and everything came back as before NBC/Cozi 58Q, Beach Cams 63Q and MicroHD 67Q. I'm using an Amiko Mini HD SE, 90cm Fortec Star dish and a Titanium PLL-1KS LNB in Central PA. Why do they work for some and not others?

Last edited:
Same thing with me transponders 11760H 11840H and 11880H will not scan.
I tried tweaking the dish changed the lnb and on my Sathero satfinder horizontal transponders are breaking up (flickering)
while 11940V is fine and my skew is OK and i have no obstructions to my dish,so im glad to know that im not the only one to have that issue.
bobsav 2001 VE2FCZ
I had the exact same issues. In my case all I had to do was to tweak the dish elevation ever so slight.

Hi All,

I spent the last hour re scanning SES3 in ku and c band and the result is the same on ku. On c band I was able to capture a few more transponders such as ANT1 and DW in addition to the PBS feeds which I already had. I scanned in blind and detailed mode, FTA and all channels mode and still nothing. I even tried the reboot method and still nothing.
I'm about to give up on this satellite as I can't think of what else it could be. Like I said, before I changed from AMC1 to SES3, I was receiving everything on c band. Ku was limited to the beach cams as I didn't want to change the skew just for NBC. Guess I should have left well enough alone.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

As i said before i have been playing with this issue for over a week and tried evrething that is possible to try and 11760H 11840H 11880H transponders dont show on blind scan and 18 volts is present at the lnb.
I have installed C band and KU band since 1985 and never seen anything like it.
I am just about to quit.
Bob....

The footprint map is here:

http://www.ses.com/4628131/ses-3

You might not be in the footprint. If you look at the northeast it appears that you're at the very least borderline.

I think I'm still well within the decent footprint range here on Cape Cod for both c and ku with SES3. I had no problem before with this satellite when it was AMC1 except I didn't get the NBC feeds.
The odd thing is, the few transponders I do get with SES3 are in the mid 70's strength range.
I've had a BUD since 1991 and this has got me puzzled for sure. I'm gonna take a pass on this satellite for now.
Thanks so much to you all for your helpful suggestions and comments.

I think I'm still well within the decent footprint range here on Cape Cod for both c and ku with SES3. I had no problem before with this satellite when it was AMC1 except I didn't get the NBC feeds.
The odd thing is, the few transponders I do get with SES3 are in the mid 70's strength range.
I've have a BUD since 1991 and this has got me puzzled for sure. I'm gonna take a pass on this satellite for now.
Thanks so much to you all for your helpful suggestions and comments.

Footprints can be slightly different for different transponders, because a transponder is a physical device that points at the transmit dish, similar to the LNB you receive with.

(Technically "transponder" is no longer an accurate term for a single frequency, because physical transponders on a modern satellite generally do 3 or so frequencies. For example, a satellite with 12 frequencies may only have 4 transponders, one for 1,3,5 another for 2,4,6 another for 7,9,11 and another for 8,10,12.)

barleyguy,

SES3 must have a different footprint than AMC1 had...at least different enough to prevent me from getting the range of channels I used to get with AMC1. Too bad, I was looking forward to the stronger signals.

I can watch COZI and the NBC feeds on AMC 15, but I'll miss the ION mux.
Maybe I should rename SES3 back to AMC1...lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)