Help Needed With SES3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I disagree with the diagnosis. Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't KU work on other satellite positions?

If C-band is scanned when KU is selected, this is a switching issue. Is the DVBS2 receiver slaved to the 4DTV with splitters and a DiSEqC or 22KHz switch?

Brian,

The Ku no longer works on any satellite even when I directly connect the Ku cable into the microHD.
It did work earlier in the week.
Yes...my receiver is slaved with splitters and a DiSEqC switch.

John

I will try what you suggested. I certainly hope its nothing underneath the feedhorn otherwise I'm s#*t out of luck
I just can't get up there anymore, to do repairs and the days of BUD repair men are long gone.
If you have a relative/buddy who doesn't mind going up and doing the work then you could rent a lift here: http://www.capecodtruck.com/rentals/
Looks like you could get a scissor lift for $115/day or a Genie man lift for $265 plus delivery/pickup. Not sure what your budget is but you might pay that much anyway if someone still serviced BUDs in your area. :)

Reactions: JFOK
If you have a relative/buddy who doesn't mind going up and doing the work then you could rent a lift here: http://www.capecodtruck.com/rentals/
Looks like you could get a scissor lift for $115/day or a Genie man lift for $265 plus delivery/pickup. Not sure what your budget is but you might pay that much anyway if someone still serviced BUDs in your area. :)

I really appreciate the suggestion and believe it or not, I did look into renting a scissor lift.
I have good news though. The "satellite gods" have looked favorably upon my situation.
I found someone who did this type of work years ago, who is willing to assist me to get my system up and running to its full potential. I figured that since I have some one up there, I'm going to replace a lot of aging electronics under that feedhorn.
So now I need suggestions...what are the best C band and Ku band LNBs out there ? I'm sure the feedhorn (Corrotor) itself is fine, might need a little cleaning. I also want to replace the servo motor.
Open to ideas. Thanks !!!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Great news! Good things do happen for good people! :)

If it is in your budget, the Norsat PLL series would be my choice.

Brian

Thanks for your kind words. Until this morning I envisioned my BUD dying a slow death.
I think the Norsat PLL is a little out of my budget. Any other thoughts ?

John

The Norsat LNBs are very fine quality products and you will not go wrong even with their DRO series. The DRO series are much lower cost and the price is based on their sort for stability and noise. 100/50KHz stability models are very reasonably priced and will last for years.

NJR radio also make quality LNBs, but they are not as readily available.

Hi All,

I've been looking at the vast array of Norsat and NJR LNBs...both C and Ku and its mind boggling whats out there. It doesn't seem to me that there was such a wide selection 10-15 years ago.
For Ku I'm considering the Norsat and looking at the 4106 model. It has 3 designations...4106 A, B or C.
They're all pretty much in the same price range and specs, only their input frequencies are different.
4106A -11.7-12.2 GHz Input Frequency
4106B -12.25-12.75 GHz Input Frequency
4106C -10.95-11.70 GHz Input Frequency
Any thoughts here?
For C Band I'm considering the Norsat 8515.
Again....your thoughts on this LNB.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The 4106A is the one you want it matches the frequencies we use in FTA, here in NA.

Reactions: Titanium
Thanks Michael that's what I thought.
Its been a while since I bought an LNB and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing any new developments...frequency wise.

John

Reactions: KE4EST
I have the Norsat 8515, it works fine, several years on it already... The 8115 might be better with low symbol rate (narrow band) feeds etc, for the price difference might as well get the better ones.

Reactions: JFOK and KE4EST
Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate the input received from you guys.
I ordered from Satcom Resources, the Norsat 8115 and the Norsat 4106A. I also ordered off of ebay a new Chaparral servo motor.
Will let you know how things go after the orders arrive and the satellite guy installs ordered items.
Thanks Again !!!

John

Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
Hi All,

Here's an update.
The satellite guy just left, after working 3 hours on this problem I had.
He removed the old Precision C-band LNB. However, as he was removing it, a section near the bottom of the old LNB broke near the screw holes. I just figured it wouldn't be able to be used again as a spare. Then he went to attach the Norsat 8115 and noticed that it was too large in diameter to fit on my Corrotor feedhorn. Luckily I had a spare C-band LNB (another old Precision) that could be put back in place since the original was rendered useless. The Ku LNB had what he called star head screws and he didn't have a tool for them, so the old Ku LNB stayed in place. The only thing he was able to change out with a new item, was the servo motor. His meter showed power to the Ku LNB...his tester didn't have a C-band setting so I have no idea about its function. So I now only get the 99W Lesea feeds with a signal level of 70 and quality of 72. No other satellites come in on either band.
I'm ready to toss in the towel on FTA...very frustrated. I'm out $270.00 and I'm still basically where I was before.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)