Help with new Install - no signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishfm

Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
tx
Hi everyone,
I just installed a 30" dish with SG6000 motor. My receiver is the Visionsat IV200 and LNB is Invacom QPH-031. I have completed all the connections as required and pointed my dish towards true south. My receiver only shows a maximum transponder strength of 80% and no quality for any satellite I try to target. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Have you adjusted the elevation angle for your location? Dishpointer.com is one place you can look up your angles. Helps to locate your south satellite, the one closest to your longitude, and aim for it. Might have to adjust your elevation bracket as they are sometimes close but not perfect. Find an active transponder freq on that satellite, and try to locate it. It's easier to leave the motor off for a beginner, and find that first sat, it'll help you get a feel for the process.

For a first timer - I would never start with a motor. Remove it and find a satellite that is close to your true south. Note how accurate the elevation scale is, record how far it is from the correct reading so you can use that correction number for the motor setup.
Bob

BTW
:welcome

to Satellite Guys

Hi everyone,
I just installed a 30" dish with SG6000 motor. My receiver is the Visionsat IV200 and LNB is Invacom QPH-031. I have completed all the connections as required and pointed my dish towards true south. My receiver only shows a maximum transponder strength of 80% and no quality for any satellite I try to target. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I am doing wrong?

First, point to a sat near your true south position, then manually enter in a transponder, shown from the http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/85225-i-need-strong-transponder-aim-my-dish.html list and perform a scan on it...

I assume you are using a switch with the Invacom, you may want to take that out of the "loop" temporarily and connect either linear or circular only (depending on which sat you are trying to line up first).

I found the MercII easier to set up than the visionsat, having a meter helped me get it in the ball park then fine tuned it with the receiver (and tv) at the dish, watching the Quality meter on the receiver.

is your lnb set right? 10750 for lin. and 11250 cir. and that your ports are set up to the what is lin. and cir port 1 port 2

Hi everyone,

Did you get this resolved?

Yeah, for a newbie the motor can be a pain, heck it is still a pain occasionaly for us ole timers!

Just try to have patience, the problem I had when I first started was I was in such a hurry to start hunting wild feeds that I rushed the install and then it took me forever to get it done. I would try for at least a 85 pct quality on a tp on your due south sat before I would stop and play, The better you get that south sat lined up the better the others will be. I have seen people get a 60 on the sat and then start playing, the problem is you might get a few east and west of your southern sat and then nothing else. You want it set to where you can swing at least 25 degrees east and west of your southern satellite.

With a good signal and setup you can go at least 35 degrees of your southern satellite or more depending on the size of your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts