Hopper Upgrade Issue with Fix - Bad LNB

jwhayesAA

Original poster
May 6, 2013
Virginia
Recently upgraded from a 722/722/922 setup to a (2) Hopper with (2) Joey's setup. I knew that the existing wire was not 3GHz certified. Knowing that it was possible to fish new wire in the walls and that the installer would not do this I ran 3GHz coax from the dish to the switch location and from there back to the receiver locations. The install went quickly other than waiting for the software to download. Since the dish and LNB setup was installed several years ago (maybe 5) and the installer did not need replace it, I advised him that it might be a good idea to make sure it still aimed properly. I did not get anywhere with this request.

The installer left and everything worked for a few days then we lost the local channels and some HD channels reverted to the SD versions. The channels disappeared around noon and returned after 5pm the next day. I called in a request for service and some came the following day. The installer assessed the situation after I told him what was going on and recommended looking at the LNB and the aiming of the dish would be a good place to start. He blew this off and worked his way through a multi-hour waste of time (receiver bad, cable ends not right (they put all of the ends on the first time), wall plate not 3GHz certified (it was), finally getting to cable needs to be replaced (I agreed to re-pull it, but he deferred). I asked him multiple times to look at the LNB and dish aiming, but could not get him to do it. It is on a steep roof that requires the full extension of the ladder, but it was the only option left at this point. He was there from 2pm to around 5:30pm when everything started working again. He left with me knowing it was not fixed.

It went out the next day around noon and I called for service which came the following day. I told the new installer what was going on and that it might be wise to start by checking the dish and replacing the LNB. He took me up on the offer and did both these items. As it turns out the LNB was bad (cracked). My guess is that it worked until it had direct sunlight then crapped out, but later recovered when it cooled off. This must have been the case because it worked all day on overcast days.

No issues for the past two weeks so that definitely was the fix.

Good to persist!

Better if they were smart enough to do it right the first time.

Glad you got it solved. Its amazing sometimes how the customer tends to know more than the techs.

Had a very similar issue but in my case I needed new LNBs and a new dish.

Instead the tech used my old dish with a new lnb and I had signal issues since that LNB didn't fit the old dish properly.
So i had the switching from HD to SD issue non stop and it took a lot of arguing on the phone to get a tech to put the new dish with the new lnbs. Problem solved.

The worst part is when you know the issue and phone CSRs think you're a retard and make you unplug the receiver and many more things that aren't the problem.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Good to persist!

Better if they were smart enough to do it right the first time.

Its really not about being smart....its about following the set standards of trouble shooting.

All in-house service personnel are issue a TJA (troubleshooting job aid) and are instructed to use it....

Even if an issue seems to be resolved early in the process (which if followed accordingly takes 45 minutes from start to completion) the last step is to check the system from one end to the other.

The 2 first tech just didn't follow procedure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)