How much should I worry about overheating?

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
We just got a new oak entertainment center and it is enclosed with a glass door. With only the DVR625 running, it seems to remain cool, but with the surround sound receiver running, it gets really warm inside the rack. Should I worry or not? Here is a pic of my setup...

Click for a larger picture

Last edited:
RocketFoot said:
We just got a new oak entertainment center and it is enclosed with a glass door. With only the DVR625 running, it seems to remain cool, but with the surround sound receiver running, it gets really warm inside the rack. Should I worry or not? Here is a pic of my setup...

Click for a larger picture
Well I see that you have received 19+ reviews with no replies so here is my two cents on this matter. I have a 510 in a cabinet that is pretty much the way yours is however I have more equipment below the dvr that creates much more heat.. What I did was esthetically remove the backing of the shelf where the receiver is and raised the bottom of the receiver up from the shelf about a 1/4" with some wooden spacers . From the front of my cabinet you can't see behind the dvr and the opening allows for good ventilation. These receivers do create a lot of heat that needs to be ventilated. One way to check is to run your unit and check periodically on the top for heat build up. If it feels warmer than luke warm it would be beneficial to either do what I described or try to rearrange your equipment where the dvr is on top of your cabinet or try using additional computer fans to dissipate the heat. Rule of thumb if the dvr is running warmer than a babies milk bottle you are shortening the life of the unit.

I took a hole saw and drilled a series of holes both extreme top and extreme bottom in the back. They are not visible with the door opened or closed.

The back on my EC is just a Luan plywood and it splintered badly as the holesaw broke through. I drilled from the inside, so it is not visible. A scrap of wood, clamped or even held in place by a helper would eliminate the problem.

You might want to move your DVD Player off of your receiver so it can get better airflow. You might be able to put the DVD player down on your CD player.

Is there anyway to check the temp in the diagnostics menu of the 625? I know some models can but I haven't seen anywhere to do it on the 625...

If the receiver is really too warm there are exterior fan units that fit inder the receiver that will automatically turn on at a set temp. They are not cheap, the one I got was $199, it is only 2-1/2 high.

I have a similar rack setup but use a 942 instead of the OP's 625. My 942 has been acting up lately (missed timers mostly) and felt very warm. I've read the posts about the 942 and its overheating problems, so I planned on raising the unit up on 1/2" blocks as some have suggested. Then a thought occurred to me as I was using my laptop the other day. I purchased one of those laptop cooler pads (by Targus I think) from BB a while back and thought it might work well under the the 942. I bought another one for $20 (on sale at Office Max) yesterday and stuck it under the 942. It's powered by the 942's USB port (on the back) and is only about a 1/2" tall. So far so good, but I've only had it installed since yesterday.

Good find, Big Fella! You may have found a good use for the USB port afterall! Keep us posted on how this chill pad works out...

PA248U_accessories_b.jpg

You could also pick up a computer fan (or 2) and install in the back of the entertainment center and power them with a power pack. You should be able to pick these parts up at Radio Shack or several other places fairly easily. If you didn't want them running constantly you get a thermally controlled fan.

How much additional noise does the chill pad create? I am in a similar situation. I generally leave the glass door cracked and haven't had any problems but I like the idea of the chill pad.

RocketFoot said:
Is there anyway to check the temp in the diagnostics menu of the 625? I know some models can but I haven't seen anywhere to do it on the 625...
The diagnostics menu will tell you the High, Low and Average temperature of the hard drive but not the temp. of the unit in general.

I have an A/V receiver sitting on top of my 522. It doesn't get too hot because the feet on the receiver are about an inch high and there are no glass doors in front and the back of the cabinet is completely open. But when the A/V receiver is on, the two units tend to build up a lot of heat together. So I connected a small fan to the A/V receiver's switched outlet. The fan blows out the back of the cabinet and the noise is noticeable only when the room is quiet (not a problem when the A/V receiver is in use). Since it turns on and off with the receiver it works just fine with the added benefit of the fan noise reminding me to turn off the receiver when nothing is playing through it.

silversurfer said:
How much additional noise does the chill pad create? I am in a similar situation. I generally leave the glass door cracked and haven't had any problems but I like the idea of the chill pad.
That's one of the best things about it - the pad is virtually silent. The only way to tell if it's running is to put your hand over the fans to feel the air movement. By the way, no missed timers yet on my 942(2 days into the test).

Grandpa J said:
If the receiver is really too warm there are exterior fan units that fit inder the receiver that will automatically turn on at a set temp. They are not cheap, the one I got was $199, it is only 2-1/2 high.
:yikes :eek: You're kidding or you dropped a decimal point.

Hell, I'll build customized fan setups for anyone for half that price. ;)

Oh dang, retiredTech beat me to it. :D

Actually, BigFella has an EXCELLENT idea - that chill pad should git-r-done! :up

EchoStar Places $1.5 Billion in Senior Notes

lease don't rush to buy 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)