How to get an additional $240 off as a new DirecTV customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think that most of it depends on who you get for a customer service representative. I guess if you don't get what you want the first time you can always call back. When I was with DirecTV before, calling and threating to switch to Dish or Cable always resulted in some discount on programming or new hardware, dont know if it is still that way or not.

In this case I think because this 2x$99 thing is very new not every AAA D* sales rep are aware of the change, they have to start the ordering process and actaully punch in two HDDVRs to know the total would be $198 not $298. Over time everyone will get the message.

Is this a deal that is only something that can be pulled off by ordering over the phone? When you add 2 HD DVRs to the online order the total is $298..... I just want to verify that it needs to be done over the phone and that more than one guy has pulled it off.

Yes....must be over the phone. I have confirmation that at least two people have pulled this off. I am going to try to be the third today.

Likely only the special AAA toll free # would work, but I don't know if the standard D* order line has the same HDDVR deal or not.

I Got My Deal

Called DirecTV on the 17th and followed steps as outlined, and I did get 2 HR-21 for $99 each. Was installed on the 19th and the print-out of my order shows only being charged for 1 DVR but I did pay for 2....and got 2 see below: got all discounts mentioned except for visa card...although not shown here they are reflected on my bill (except referral(60 day wait) and 10/mo 1/yr...bill not arrived to mail in redemption form)

PLUS HD DVR P000006364000000001 $0.00 1 $0.00
HD Access_Tier 1 P000006376000000001 $0.00 1 $0.00
DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK 3 Months Free P6688/5 $0.00 1 $0.00
DIRECTV 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish $0.00 1 $0.00
DIRECTV HD DVR (Expanded HD Prog. Capable) $0.00 1 $0.00
DIRECTV HD DVR (Expanded HD Prog. Capable) $99.00 1 $99.00

Standard Professional Install $0.00 1 $0.00
Programming_DummyName_29275 $0.00 1 $0.00
HBO $0.00 1 $0.00
STARZ! $0.00 1 $0.00
SHOWTIME $0.00 1 $0.00
Cinemax $0.00 1 $0.00
B6291/020 $0.00 1 $0.00
Handling $19.95 1 $19.95
DVR Service $0.00 1 $0.00
Subtotal: $217.95
Tax: $13.08
Total: $231.03

They would not waive the shipping charge as said this was for insurance though. I also did not want to sign up for auto pay so no visa card for me either. Bobvick---must have been eavesdropping on my call to Dish as I told them I was "moving" to Canada...still had 6mos on contract...they canceled out and account 0.00'ed no 13.33/mo fee.... :) Newho....I'm all installed and think pq is much better on D* , I must say I don't like the interface of the DVR as well (no autotune..don't always wanna record, and E* allowed you to set up to record a show everyday based on its name on a channel and time....with D* you either select 1st run or Repeat and it wants to record all episodes every time its on....so I set up manual timers). I also am not as happy with the fast forward and rewind the D* uses, but I'll get used to it...hell I still skipped past commercials into the program after 7 years of E* and had to back up a little...but 6sec's for D*...to short of a rewind if ya ask me....Overall I am happy I switched....I was on AT100 with all HD with E* at the end(had downgraded from AT250 with HD) and was paying $75/mo for a 622 and a 211 with AT100 & HD & DHPP...now I have Choice HD/DVR HD Extra Pak, SHO 1/yr and D*HPP and it is cheaper(will drop additional movies after 3/mo)...Never thought I would come back over to D*...was a customer years ago and was turned away because of awful cust serv but am happy I have...better pq, less $$$, more channels, and have 2 HD-DVR.... so I say poo on E*, after all the years I was with them...and they got too expensive, crappy cust serv, losing in hd, picture was getting worse, never wanted to upgrade you without an huge fee and extended commitment, my bill was rarely correct, and had to call corp office to get anything done....I guess sometimes the grass is greener \|||/|||\|||/ on the other side.

Thanks for the help jacmyoung in the discount area....thanks to every1 for reading my little rant....and thanks D* for having an overall good product and service!!!

Having a hard time getting those 2 HD DVR's for $99 each right now... CSR us giving me a hard time.

linder7 please inform us if you are able to get the deal also.
No luck for me...using the Direct TV referral phone number. I am going to assume that the AAA deal is the only way to get this to work, at least until I hear otherwise.

For those of you who got the two HD-DVR's for $99/EA, did they offer that to you OR did you have to negotiate the pricing?

ok, got it done however it was really difficult. I got changed to a different CSR who really new what he was talking about. At first they would not even combine the national $10 deal with the AAA deal. I wound up getting a $100 credit for the one HDDVR so effectively $99 each. I also got:

3 months movies channels,

Had to ask but I got 1 year free showtime
Mail in redemption for $10 off 12 months
$50 gift card for autopay, on the 4th months bill

I am paying $4.99 for the extra receiver.

So my understanding is that you have to be a AAA member to get the HD DVRs for $99 each. Am I right on this?

It appeared so, those of us who got the 2x99 deal are AAA members. The $99 each for the first two HDDVRs automatically showed up for us.

However consider paying the $55 AAA membership online you will get your membership number emailed to you, you can then call to get all the benefits. The $55 membership is well worth all the discounts you can get everywhere, not to mention roadside assistance.

You can even cancel the membership and get the $55 back, but I would wait till all the credits show up on your bill before doing so. In case D* refuses to hold its end of the bargain, you can always bring the matter to AAA, after all it was AAA that promised its members of such deals.

Last edited:
No luck for me...using the Direct TV referral phone number. I am going to assume that the AAA deal is the only way to get this to work, at least until I hear otherwise.

For those of you who got the two HD-DVR's for $99/EA, did they offer that to you OR did you have to negotiate the pricing?

I had to haggle for it...wound up talking with supervisor, as far as showtime you have to ask for it....

ps im not a AAA member I used my dads # he is, all they need are 1st six digits...so if you know someone with AAA ask for the 1st six digits if you dont feel that it's morally wrong....

I had to haggle for it...wound up talking with supervisor, as far as showtime you have to ask for it....

ps im not a AAA member I used my dads # he is, all they need are 1st six digits...so if you know someone with AAA ask for the 1st six digits if you dont feel that it's morally wrong....

If you used the AAA # you should not have to haggle. Not all AAA line sales reps know this deal. Just call again and talk to another person, you will find someone who know exactly what you can get. They just need to know where to go on the computer.

I finally got this to work with the AAA promotion. Two HD-DVR's for $198.00. I was also told that I could get 1 year free showtime, but would have to pay the $19.99 handling charge.

At any rate, I was told that I would get the following, but will not 100% believe it until I see it on a bill statement:

2 HD-DVR's for $198
$10 off 24 months for AAA
$10 off 5 months for referral
$10 off 12 months for standard promo
3 months free hbo, showtime, etc
1 year free showtime
3 months free HD extra pack

If anyone would like additional information, send me a PM.

I finally got this to work with the AAA promotion. Two HD-DVR's for $198.00. I was also told that I could get 1 year free showtime, but would have to pay the $19.99 handling charge.

At any rate, I was told that I would get the following, but will not 100% believe it until I see it on a bill statement:

2 HD-DVR's for $198
$10 off 24 months for AAA
$10 off 5 months for referral
$10 off 12 months for standard promo
3 months free hbo, showtime, etc
1 year free showtime
3 months free HD extra pack

If anyone would like additional information, send me a PM.

Should have asked for the 2007 Q4 deal which will give you another $10 off for one year. The deal is good till 2/26/08. You can cancel and re-order. Should not have paid the shipping and handling fee.

There is a mail-in rebate form for $20 off for 12 months you can print out and mail in, if D* does not include it in your first bill. I have saved a copy of the PDF file in case anyone needs it for later. There is a chance that this one could exclude the AAA deal, but I decided to go for it because if D* does not give me the AAA discount for whatever the reason, I can always bring it to AAA, after all it was AAA clearly promised its members of the benefit.

If however you will use your relative's AAA code, then I would play safe and not ask for that extra $10x12 deal.

I can tell you that it took about 6 phone calls to get a rep that would do the two HD-DVR's for $99/EA, so I wasn't going to push my luck anymore. I just want it installed and running.... :)

Thanks for all of the tips and helpful information.

Should have asked for the 2007 Q4 deal which will give you another $10 off for one year. The deal is good till 2/26/08. You can cancel and re-order. Should not have paid the shipping and handling fee.

There is a mail-in rebate form for $20 off for 12 months you can print out and mail in, if D* does not include it in your first bill. I have saved a copy of the PDF file in case anyone needs it for later. There is a chance that this one could exclude the AAA deal, but I decided to go for it because if D* does not give me the AAA discount for whatever the reason, I can always bring it to AAA, after all it was AAA clearly promised its members of the benefit.

If however you will use your relative's AAA code, then I would play safe and not ask for that extra $10x12 deal.

Got the deal too today..called and got 2 HD DVR's for $99/each --free shipping
$50 referral Credit, $50 Visa GC for CC Auto Pay :)

thanks

I can tell you that it took about 6 phone calls to get a rep that would do the two HD-DVR's for $99/EA, so I wasn't going to push my luck anymore. I just want it installed and running.... :)

Thanks for all of the tips and helpful information.

And so you should, good luck!

Believe it or not I may be the last one among us to get D*. I am still waiting for the second D* installer to show up one week from today. The last failed install pushed the date back by almost two weeks, and I don't even know if the next guy will be any better than the first one.

Well, my install is scheduled for next Wed...hoping every goes as planned. It should be fairly easy due to the fact that I already have two lines of coax to each location for the HD-DVR's.

Good Luck with your second install.

referral

i am about to call in to schedule installation...can i get somebody's referral, as per above post both of us stand to save 50$

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)