How to stop Dish Network DVR from turning itself off?

What type of receivers do you have? I am testing it here on a 211k but I know my 722k and 922 have it set for 8 hours and I never have a problem with it going into stand-by early.

the DISH box is going to standby so the TIVO now can not change the channels IE the tivo recordings are nothing but the black screen saying your dish box is in standby press select to continue crap.

When is the receiver going into Standby? If it's overnight, it happens when the receiver reboots after updates.

its every 3-4 hours of inactivity. it probably also does overnight are you saying it reboots into "standby" automatically. anyway to stop that? a timer or some sort maybe? can I set a timer that does not change the channel? what if I set at time for an "invalid" channel (if that is even possible) will it stay on the current channel?

Yes, you can set a timer which will turn the receiver back on after a reboot. Just set the timer to auto-tune the channel you want it to be on. If you somehow manage to set an auto-tune timer to a channel that doesn't exist, I think the receiver comes on and tunes to 101. (Could be wrong about that.)

hmm what about a regular timer ie so I can set one for every 3 hours to keep it from falling asleep. can I set that to an invalid channel? what will happen if I do that?

sucks about the auto to 101 cause the tivo will think its on the channel it "was" on. Wonder if I can make the tivo ALWAYS send the "channel" codes even if its thinks its on the same channel already. or maybe it does?? guess I will have to test that.

drat just checked. I can not set a timer for an invalid channel because there is no way to "ENTER" a channel. you have to "SELECT" from a list of channels.

I set one as a reminder. I still have to pick a channel but I am hoping it won't "change" the channel and will simply go away on its own without me having to press any keys. will find out in 6 minutes :)

HEY nothing happened. a little clock started blinking in the corner 5 minutes before the timer "time"

but nothing happened. this is good. now question is will this reminder wake the unit up and will this timer KEEP it from going to sleep IE reset the timer?

Try setting the inactivity to 8 hours. I just changed my TV2 tuner on my 722 to Disable. Tuner 1 is set for 8 hours. I'll see what happens.

Yes, the receiver needs to reboot overnight. This is to so it can download the epg and any software upgrades.

reduces the problem but still means after 8 hours the box is off and we get NO recordings. in fact an 8 hours gap would happen 5 or 6 times a week easily. still means a long time before someone "notices" and presses a button to turn it back on :)

my fear is that the tivo will now be out of sync with what channel it "thinks" the tv is on. or if its actually recording something I just changed channels on it :)

Why not set a corresponding auto-tune timer on the Dish receiver for each Tivo timer?

Also, how are you hooking up your Tivo to your Dish receiver? I thought Tivo receivers didn't have line inputs. Are you only using the TV2 coax distribution and "tuning" it on the Tivo as an analog antenna/cable channel?

Our tivo has line inputs (series 2) with the ir dongle to control the dish box (I miss the old direct tv boxes with the serial connection)

the reason that won't work is we don't user timers. Tivo's record dynamically ie intelligently. you don't pick times you pick "programs" and it finds them "whenever" they are on and records them. handle conflict resolutions etc..

we THINK we might have it setup.

for some reason (I can not even GUESS why) its obeying the disable command now. and we programmed a 0400 timer for the western channel (if there is a tivo recording for that early its most likely to be that channel) to hopefully wake it back up at 4am.

we shall see what happens. its amazing how stupid the dish boxes function. I guess they are trying to force people to use their rather expensive DVR's. why the box needs to reboot every day is insane and why it won't turn back on to the same channel it was on when it turned off is insane.

what a pain :)

Our tivo has line inputs (series 2) with the ir dongle to control the dish box (I miss the old direct tv boxes with the serial connection)

the reason that won't work is we don't user timers. Tivo's record dynamically ie intelligently. you don't pick times you pick "programs" and it finds them "whenever" they are on and records them. handle conflict resolutions etc..

we THINK we might have it setup.

for some reason (I can not even GUESS why) its obeying the disable command now. and we programmed a 0400 timer for the western channel (if there is a tivo recording for that early its most likely to be that channel) to hopefully wake it back up at 4am.

we shall see what happens. its amazing how stupid the dish boxes function. I guess they are trying to force people to use their rather expensive DVR's. why the box needs to reboot every day is insane and why it won't turn back on to the same channel it was on when it turned off is insane.

what a pain :)

A Pain indeed! I just switched to dish a month ago, we have a DVR upstairs that powers two bedrooms, but downstairs we use windows media center with an xbox360 extender for DVR on the other two TV's. If the Hopper had but one more tuner!! why would you connect 4 TVs to a 3 tuner device anyway? So the auto update was resulting in many recordings of the dish screen saver on windows media center. I tried setting up an auto tune timer on the Vip222k dish receiver for half an hour after the time I set the daily auto update to. This did nothing. I played with the timings a bit but could not get the dish receiver to turn back on after the update... lots of recordings of that black screen saver with the bouncing dish logo and helpful hints". So I then edited the channel change settings in WMC to include the "select key". Unfortunately You can not edit this feature to send the "select" command before the channel number, it occurs after and this would mean the first recording after the update would happen on some random channel instead of the one it is supposed to. So I then set up a manual recording in WMC for like 3 minutes on some random channel about half an hour after the auto update just to get that select command sent autonomously. I will have one trash recording to delete everyday but it will not take up much space. You should be able to accomplish something similar on a Tivo... hope this helps.

(lite bulb! I can set the settings for this particular manual recording to only keep one episode, so no pile up of trash recordings I am so smart)

Last edited:
A Pain indeed! I just switched to dish a month ago, we have a DVR upstairs that powers two bedrooms, but downstairs we use windows media center with an xbox360 extender for DVR on the other two TV's. If the Hopper had but one more tuner!! why would you connect 4 TVs to a 3 tuner device anyway? So the auto update was resulting in many recordings of the dish screen saver on windows media center. I tried setting up an auto tune timer on the Vip222k dish receiver for half an hour after the time I set the daily auto update to. This did nothing. I played with the timings a bit but could not get the dish receiver to turn back on after the update... lots of recordings of that black screen saver with the bouncing dish logo and helpful hints". So I then edited the channel change settings in WMC to include the "select key". Unfortunately You can not edit this feature to send the "select" command before the channel number, it occurs after and this would mean the first recording after the update would happen on some random channel instead of the one it is supposed to. So I then set up a manual recording in WMC for like 3 minutes on some random channel about half an hour after the auto update just to get that select command sent autonomously. I will have one trash recording to delete everyday but it will not take up much space. You should be able to accomplish something similar on a Tivo... hope this helps.

(lite bulb! I can set the settings for this particular manual recording to only keep one episode, so no pile up of trash recordings I am so smart)

You don't need to set a manual recording. Simply set an Auto-Tune and the Dish receiver will go to that channel at the set time. My receivers set to my local ABC news at 5AM every morning. That way I wake the receiver from its nightly boot...

What type of receivers do you have? I am testing it here on a 211k but I know my 722k and 922 have it set for 8 hours and I never have a problem with it going into stand-by early.

Not the same situation, but with both our 211s we have the the number of hours before receiver goes into standby set to disable but both continue to go to standby with no activity. My wife has been watching the Olympics since this morning and said its trying to go into standby. Just because we have not changed the channel for hours doesnt mean its inactive. Really annoying to not be able to control this.

WHY REOPEN A 4 YEAR OLD POST? Use your head if you know the receiver needs to show activity change channels during a commercial. Channel up and down can't take more than a minute and will reset the inactivity timer.

WHY REOPEN A 4 YEAR OLD POST? Use your head if you know the receiver needs to show activity change channels during a commercial. Channel up and down can't take more than a minute and will reset the inactivity timer.
Beacuse I did a search and this is what came up....geeesh...thanks for help tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)