If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

• Yes - Definitely!!!

Votes: 104 21.5%
  • No - Will use another source for content / downgrade package.

Votes: 322 66.7%
  • Maybe - just not sure

Votes: 57 11.8%

• Total voters
I know this isn't a scientific poll and probably won't scale up correctly to their total customer base but currently 16% of people are saying they would switch and that's not including people like me who would only stay because of the contract. If 16% of their total customers actually felt this way that would be a huge loss for dish. The people that would leave don't need to win a majority vote here, they just need to be a big enough portion to hurt Dish. 16% would definitely be a big enough portion if these numbers actually represent the total population.

It's been evident from similar threads over the years that the numbers of folks posting they would switch far exceeds the numbers that actually eventually follow through....

Well, can't really vote since I am a Directv customer. Was going to switch to Dish for Hopper setup, but now I won't until this matter is settled one way or the other.

I would have liked the choice of "No Chance - I never watch the channels". Since it wasn't there, I settled for the middle option.

Thanks. Would have been impossible to have a specific option for every individual.

I hate iTunes .....

same here

would be nice if they lowered the bill, if they do drop these channels

one can only dream

It has not, and I'll bet won't happen.

again, hope you are right

It's been evident from similar threads over the years that the numbers of folks posting they would switch far exceeds the numbers that actually eventually follow through....

this is exactly the case. quite a few people said the same about the disneyhd and FX fiasco. if we do not drop, there will be some serious downsizing for sure!

And that's why I said it won't scale up and I showed the subscriber loss if 5% and 2% dropped. 16% is not a realistic number but 2% might be.

This is from a Wall Street Journal article from today but I think you need to be a paid subscriber to read it so I will cut and paste the key parts of it.

'Mad Men,' 'Walking Dead' Channel AMC Posts 45% Rise in Earnings - WSJ.com

Facing a threat of having its channels dropped by Dish Network Corp., AMC Networks Inc. Chief Executive Josh Sapan said online availability of AMC programs was helping ratings on the channel.

"New viewers are finding these shows on a digital service, catching up on prior seasons and then tuning into AMC for new seasons in greater numbers, many for the first time," Mr. Sapan said on a conference call with analysts Thursday.

Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen said on Monday that the availability of AMC's hit shows such as "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" on online video outlets had "devalued their programming content" and contributed to Dish's decision not to renew the channels.

Mr. Sapan's defense of AMC's programming decisions came as AMC reported 45% higher first-quarter earnings on higher advertising revenue at its namesake channel and the continuing popularity of AMC shows like "The Walking Dead."

AMC warned that its future financial performance could be affected if its channels were dropped by Dish, but it didn't specify by how much. Dish has more than 14 million subscribers.

Mr. Sapan said that AMC's networks remains "underpriced" in the market, though it reported an 8% increase in affiliate fees from distributors in the first quarter. Mr. Sapan said the pickup was "the beginning of an upward trend in more recent agreements" with distributors.

However, he continued to attribute Dish's decision to bad blood in a years-old lawsuit between the two companies. Dish is "trying to create leverage for itself" in the case, Mr. Sapan said. Dish has said that the lawsuit and its decision to drop AMC are two separate matters.

AMC Networks, which was spun off from Cablevision Systems Corp. last June, has reinvented itself in recent years with a slate of highly rated original-show successes, shedding its image as a sleepy broadcaster of independent movies and classic westerns. The transformation has come at a cost, however, as higher programming and marketing expenses to promote shows like "Mad Men" cut into its bottom line.

AMC Networks reported a profit of $43.2 million, or 60 cents a share, up from $29.8 million, or 43 cents, a year earlier. Revenue jumped 20% to $326.2 million as the namesake channel contributed to a 30% rise in advertising revenue.

This is from a Wall Street Journal article from today but I think you need to be a paid subscriber to read it so I will cut and paste the key parts of it.

'Mad Men,' 'Walking Dead' Channel AMC Posts 45% Rise in Earnings - WSJ.com

Facing a threat of having its channels dropped by Dish Network Corp., AMC Networks Inc. Chief Executive Josh Sapan said online availability of AMC programs was helping ratings on the channel.

"New viewers are finding these shows on a digital service, catching up on prior seasons and then tuning into AMC for new seasons in greater numbers, many for the first time," Mr. Sapan said on a conference call with analysts Thursday.

Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen said on Monday that the availability of AMC's hit shows such as "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" on online video outlets had "devalued their programming content" and contributed to Dish's decision not to renew the channels.

Mr. Sapan's defense of AMC's programming decisions came as AMC reported 45% higher first-quarter earnings on higher advertising revenue at its namesake channel and the continuing popularity of AMC shows like "The Walking Dead."

AMC warned that its future financial performance could be affected if its channels were dropped by Dish, but it didn't specify by how much. Dish has more than 14 million subscribers.

Mr. Sapan said that AMC's networks remains "underpriced" in the market, though it reported an 8% increase in affiliate fees from distributors in the first quarter. Mr. Sapan said the pickup was "the beginning of an upward trend in more recent agreements" with distributors.

However, he continued to attribute Dish's decision to bad blood in a years-old lawsuit between the two companies. Dish is "trying to create leverage for itself" in the case, Mr. Sapan said. Dish has said that the lawsuit and its decision to drop AMC are two separate matters.

AMC Networks, which was spun off from Cablevision Systems Corp. last June, has reinvented itself in recent years with a slate of highly rated original-show successes, shedding its image as a sleepy broadcaster of independent movies and classic westerns. The transformation has come at a cost, however, as higher programming and marketing expenses to promote shows like "Mad Men" cut into its bottom line.

AMC Networks reported a profit of $43.2 million, or 60 cents a share, up from $29.8 million, or 43 cents, a year earlier. Revenue jumped 20% to $326.2 million as the namesake channel contributed to a 30% rise in advertising revenue.

I have to think that if these advertising companies know what they are doing. If their revenue increased by 45% due to increased ad money they must think more people are watching.

AMC channels don't air the playoff games, nor CSI, nor any mass appealing programming in great quantity, nor is it History or even H2.

-AMC has higher viewership ratings than Discovery, TV Land, MTV, Comedy Central, SyFy, Animal Planet, National Geographic, and a ton of others.
-AMC ranks 15th of 96 among cable channels. (16th of 94 in prime time.)
-The Walking Dead was the #1-rated show on cable networks for the week of 5/12.

I'm just saying.

This survey doesn't have a response that applies to what I believe would be a significant number of people. The "No" here is conditional and that condition does not apply to me. There is no straight "no" or "No - I don't watch any of the rainbow channels since they added 50% commercial content and would never notice them missing"

It shows the bias of the creator of the poll in thinking that "everyone" cares about these channels.

This survey doesn't have a response that applies to what I believe would be a significant number of people. The "No" here is conditional and that condition does not apply to me. There is no straight "no" or "No - I don't watch any of the rainbow channels since they added 50% commercial content and would never notice them missing"

It shows the bias of the creator of the poll in thinking that "everyone" cares about these channels.

again, it would be impossible to have a specific option for every individual. should have just left the options yes,no,maybe,
but even then people would find a reason to complain. It's simple, just put NO.

Seriously? Read previous posts. If you don't watch AMC why even bother. Just wanted to see what other dish subs here, that enjoy AMC, had in mind.

This is a time when some people should really practice discretion. But it is an open forum and these types of shenanigans go with the territory. Didn't have any hopes, just didn't intend for it to turn into a pissing match.

I have decided to go back to Time Warner because they made me just an insane Win-Back offer (which I will post details later in the Time Warner forum where it would be on-topic). However, I will not return to Dish as much as I like them unless they have AMC when that time comes. Have to have Walking Dead. :p

-AMC has higher viewership ratings than Discovery, TV Land, MTV, Comedy Central, SyFy, Animal Planet, National Geographic, and a ton of others.
-AMC ranks 15th of 96 among cable channels. (16th of 94 in prime time.)
-The Walking Dead was the #1-rated show on cable networks for the week of 5/12.

I'm just saying.
Goes to show that no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Disclaimer - I have never watched "The Walking Dead", so I have no idea why it's popular.

I have decided to go back to Time Warner because they made me just an insane Win-Back offer (which I will post details later in the Time Warner forum where it would be on-topic). However, I will not return to Dish as much as I like them unless they have AMC when that time comes. Have to have Walking Dead. :p

Are you going to post it in your "Considering a return to Time Warner" thread?

Are you going to post it in your "Considering a return to Time Warner" thread?

Hi empiretc. Yes I will put details there. ;)

Sorry if anyone thinks I pulled the thread off-topic. I was definitely trying to comment on the AMC topic as it relates to my situation. And I still intend to hang out here in the Dish section as much as possible. Too many cool folks here to miss out on that entirely. LOL

Thelist for dish 110-119 missing entries after 8411

Strange Galavasion open in Puerto Rico

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts